GM Volt Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
775 Posts
For our Canadian friends, Costco.ca has the same $70 off on currently, ending October 4th.

I've found slightly cheaper from local independent dealers, but they won't have the same warranty as Costco.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
After 42K miles I just put the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus tires on my 3-year old Volt. Initially I wanted the Michelin MXV but they are hard to get. Costco does not have MXV4 or MXM4 in stock, plus they are mighty expensive.

I picked Serenity instead of Ecopia because I was so fed up with the poor comfort of the stock tires. The low rolling resistance stock tires make the Volt bouncy and noisy as if its a lightweight car.

The new Bridgestones do not disappoint with much less road noise and better smoothness. Subjectively these new tires seem so much quieter that its almost as if driving a new car. As expected I see a significant drop in range of ~6 miles (15%). Then I noticed that they were inflated at just 34PSI by the tire installer. Yesterday I pumped them all to 40PSI, and the range drop is reduced to 4 miles (10%). Other posters reported that the range improves over time. Time will tell but I'm OK with a little drop in the name of comfort.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
It's getting better. Found this deal at my neighborhood Chevrolet dealer (that I've never dealt with).

Of course the sticker is in the details.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just picked up a set of Ecopias as well after a puncture. So far I haven't been able to tell much difference in ride or noise. I am getting slightly better milage but that may be because they are up at 40psi now as opposed to 36 before with the Goodyears.

Here is the little bugger that got me. I am down to three OEM tires which are now for sale in the classifieds.

027.jpg

·
Registered
206 Posts
For our Canadian friends, Costco.ca has the same $70 off on currently, ending October 4th.

I've found slightly cheaper from local independent dealers, but they won't have the same warranty as Costco.
Ordered a set from Costco today. Was $702 all in. Hopefully there better in the rain than the OEM tires.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Bear in mind that October is when the good, pre-winter tire sales start. Expect to see buy 3, get one free.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ordered a set from Costco today. Was $702 all in. Hopefully there better in the rain than the OEM tires.
Just had them installed and drove 10 km's home on them. WOW the noise is reduced like 50%!
The side wall says Max pressure is 40 psi. Costco set them to 38 psi. What's everyone running in these tires?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Just had them installed and drove 10 km's home on them. WOW the noise is reduced like 50%!
The side wall says Max pressure is 40 psi. Costco set them to 38 psi. What's everyone running in these tires?
40psi at 70F, = 42F on hot day (+90F).

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
So anyone pick up a set from Costco recently? Currently listed for about $618 + tax and fees. Michelin tires currently have a $70 discount...I'm assuming the Bridgestones will go on sale sometime soon?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Why not get your local (within 50 miles) GM dealer to match the price and get a $50-100 credit?

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Why not get your local (within 50 miles) GM dealer to match the price and get a $50-100 credit?

Seems too easy to do to be true. Guess I'll check it out though.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just got a set of 4 installed from Costco for $702 Canadian pesos!
My local Chevy dealer wanted $942 installed, they said that was the best they could do.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
So I think I've decided to get the Ecopia 422 Plus tires. I'm just going to wait until Costco runs a $70 off deal on Bridgestones, then have my local dealer price match them, and get the $100 gift card to boot!

·
Registered
270 Posts
FWIW, I've got a few thousand miles on mine and have been pleased.
No loss in range, they seem quieter, the ride is about the same (granted, I've got mine aired up to 45psi) and the handling is definitely improved.

Tire comparisons are always tricky though, because you're usually going from a worn tire to a new one.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
FWIW Michelin energy savers (summer only are available) are standard fit on Ampera here in UK. I find them a bit noisy, they seem to generate road nose. Mine have worn funny too. Not sure I like them. Only getting a mere 52 mile range at the moment. They are a 'B' rating for rolling resistance on the EU tyre-rating scale. Goodyear Efficient grip and Toyo Nanoenergy are the only tyres rated 'A' for rolling resistance in 215/55x17.
Please note that the EU energy label does not reflect the rolling resistance but overall energy consumption. For example Goodyear has same tires size available with different weights and lower weight tires are rated A and higher weight tires are rated B.

Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 215/55 R17 98W XL
EAN: 5452000654700
EU-label B / A / 69db

Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 215/55 R17 98W XL
EAN: 5452000547514
EU-label A / A / 69db

You have to look bit deeper on the tires. Cheap stores sell the junk with cheaper prices :)

P.S. Latter would replace the Michelins if those bricks wear out some day.. 10mm still remaining.. maining... ing... g...

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Just ordered a set of Ecopia ep422 Plus tires. Costco had a deal for $70 of a set of 4 bridgestones, plus I got another $10 coupon code for ordering online. $640 inclusive of all fees and tax. The free lifetime tire rotations and road hazard warranty are icing on the cake.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just a follow up. It's taken me several weeks to get my wheel issue sorted out. The shake is now gone. Not the noise that I thought was caused by the wheel is actually the tires. It's the wa wa noise like a bad wheel bearing.

Long story short, I can't live with the noise, grip is good, range is actually better than the Goodyears for me, overall noise is less too with the exception of the wa wa.
Anyways I'm switching to Michellens Energy Saver A/S 235/50/17.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ok guys not ready for tires yet, always been a Michelin man. Which 422 are you getting, v or h rated, I see both for sale. Thanks
Costco wouldn't sell me an "H" rated tire. They said Chevy requires "V" rated tires on the Volt.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts