GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone familiar with this tire?

Still looking for a good AER, quieter tire to replace stock. Not worried about snow.

I see many reviews on the Bridgestone Ecopia ep422, but not on the plus version. Bridgestone's website claims the Plus to be the Eco LRR tire.

Compared to the stock tire (Tire Rack data), the Bridgegstone Ecopia ep422 is 2 lbs heavier (22 vs 19) and 0.5" narrower tread width (6.7" vs 7.2") than the stock Goodyear Assurance Fuel-max.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTires.jsp

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/catalog

·
Registered
678 Posts
I can't comment on the Plus, but the EP422s I had on my Leaf were absolute junk! They had very high efficiency and that was it! There was absolutely nothing else to recommend them and I went to Michelin Primacy MXV4s with which I was very happy...

Anyone familiar with this tire?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I can't comment on the Plus, but the EP422s I had on my Leaf were absolute junk! They had very high efficiency and that was it! There was absolutely nothing else to recommend them and I went to Michelin Primacy MXV4s with which I was very happy...
The Michelin's you choose are the ones being used on the new 2016 Volt if i'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Goodyear Comfortred tires are very quiet, and good for just about any road conditions. What I really liked is stopping on these tires is much more supple than the OEMs. Kind of cradles the car to a stop.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Purchased replacement Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max from Discount Tire at 54k miles - the specified OEM replacement. Drove on them for 1 week and could not take the noise, and reduction in AER (drop from 49 to 44). I understand that some of the mileage loss may be attributed to the new tire (actually Goodyear changed the tire slightly - side wall and tread pattern).

Replaced with Bridgestone Ecopia ep422 Plus - very quite ride, good handling, 70K mile warranty, AER first day at 50 miles, 51 second day - same commute conditions (temp, speed, route, ect...). I speculate that AER will only improve with break-in. Fuel max tire weight 19lb, Bridgestone 21lb.

I have used Michelin Energy Savers on other cars (Prius, Jetta TDI), and these perform very similar. Energy Savers not available in US for our cars.

I highly recommend these tires, especially if interested in AER and smooth quite ride. Don't know about snow, rated good for rain, but no experience yet.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Look what happened to my 2 week old Bridgestone Ecopia ep422 Plus tires.
Ran over a reel of nails for a nail gun with 2 week old Bridgestone Ecopia ep422 Plus tires.
Took out drivers side front and rear 10 nails per tire.
They had opened out into a giant coil across half of the road. Got the car in front of me as well.

Discount Tire graciously offered to replace free of charge.

IMG_20150518_171058424.jpg

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dang Hank, that sucks!!

I'm getting these mounted at Discount Tire tomorrow.

Anything is better than a Goodyear.
Discount Tire had me on the road in 3 days - tires are shipped from direct from Tennessee factory warehouse.
These tires are amazing, buttery smooth ride, and improved AER.
While at DT, I opted to purchase an extended tire warranty - free lifetime replacement of all 4 tires. Normally $80, on sale for $60.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well mine are on, and so far I like the ride and the noise level. Also it is raining today and the tires feel very sticky...however they are brand new they should feel sticky.

My first true test is Tuesday when I go back to work as I have that route with temps basically mapped out...so I'll see if there is any change in distance.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I have mine inflated to 42 psi cold (65f), which is the same as for the stock Goodyear's.
Feels like a good compromise for ride, handling, and AER.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm watching this thread very closely...these tires are pretty close to the top of my list.

·
1,308 Posts
I have used Michelin Energy Savers on other cars (Prius, Jetta TDI), and these perform very similar. Energy Savers not available in US for our cars.
The tires being used by GM on the 2016 Volt are Michelin Energy Saver A/S 215/50 R17.

These tires (in a different R15 size) have often been used for the Prius and have an excellent reputation for efficiency as well as a good overall reputation. They were not previously available in a size suitable for the Volt.

It looks like an appropriate size of this tire is now available for first generation Volt cars. I think the right size would be 225/50 R17 94V. It is 10mm wider than the 215 size specified for the 2016 Volt but that matchies the weight carrying capacity of the original Goodyear Fuel Max tires and the revolutions per mile are pretty close match at 803 vs the 795 for the original GY Fuel Max tire.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Rainy day today...nothing but slow steady rain that will not quit!

So no really comments on range, but the wet performance was much better than the Goodyears (which is a big reason I put them on now).

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
522 Posts
I put Goodyear Comfortreads on our Prius with just 700 miles on the car. They were a nice improvement from the stock tires. They handled better and were not so squirrely tracking cracks in the pavement. But, although they were rated at 65K they wore out almost completely with some very easy driving at 32K. I was very disappointed. We replaced them with the Bridgestone Ecopias and were astounded at the improvement. The car not only handled better but the steering was vastly improved, especially at low speeds. It was such a dramatic improvement that we felt the Goodyears were lead overshoes in comparison. Gas mileage went up by about 2mpg too.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Had two commutes to work.

One way (24.3 miles) to work with .2 less electric consumed both directions (each, .4 net)...will continue collecting data for the next several weeks.

At the very least, these tires are not worse than what I took off which is great. I can confirm they produce less noise, better wet traction than Goodyear, and at the very least equal in EV range so far. Noise actually surprised me as there are two sections of freeway that produced bad tire noise every day...with the Bridgestones the noise was still there, but only noticeable vs. overwhelming.

I'll post more during the weekend on range as I collect data.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well have had a number of commutes right now, and I am breaking records for my commute route.

Monday/Tuesday this week from work to home is 25.3 miles and all day long I would burn 5.5 kw (on a good day I got 5.4). These last 2 days, 4.7!! Traffic patterns haven't changed, my route is exactly the same as it has been for the past 3 years, and I am in optimal temp zone (70's) for max range and boy am I getting it.

Again with the Goodyear tires I would repeat 5.5 in optimal temp zones...these tires are giving me 4.7...awesome!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Told you so :)
I am experiencing the same every day since switching to these tires.
Also love the smooth, quiet ride as well.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I can't find any on tirerack marked as PLUS just the plain EP422, also linky doesn't work because tirerack is run by communists.
(no direct linking)

Bleh, when searching for volt it does not come as an option, some folks list poor tire wear (doesn't that sound familiar)

I had to search by the type of tire and select the size manually, odd they have the right ratings I wonder why they don't come up for the volt natively?

Pricey, too bad they don't come in 205/65r17's I would prefer that over stock (more sidewall)

Ah well.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts