GM Volt Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hey all - I wouldn't normally bump a several year old thread, but I found a lot of details specific to the Ecopia's here...and I'm wondering if those who now presumably have several years of experience with them have any feedback. A set of them are top of my list of options right now but I'm still looking for feedback from experienced owners.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I had a set <Ecopia's> on our 2010 Prius I purchased at Costco. Terrible handling tires. At highway speed 65+ mph the car would drift as if there was a side wind, even though there was not. Took them back to Costco during the 30 day period and exchanged them for a set of Michelin Energy Saver AS tires. Now on my 3rd set and I get 65,000 miles or more on a set and a solid increase, 2-3% in fuel mileage. I'll stick with the Michelin Energy Saver AS tires......

·
Registered
643 Posts
What pressure were you running them at...or perhaps it was just a Prius thing, as for the most part I didn't see any similar comments from Volt owners.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hey all - I wouldn't normally bump a several year old thread, but I found a lot of details specific to the Ecopia's here...and I'm wondering if those who now presumably have several years of experience with them have any feedback. A set of them are top of my list of options right now but I'm still looking for feedback from experienced owners.
I have 21,000 miles on mine that I put on my 2014 Volt. They have been excellent IMO. Quieter, smoother, and better ride than the stock tires. I haven't noticed a reduction in EV range vs the stock tires.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have have about 35,000 miles on my EP422+ tires from Costco. They’ve been excellent. No range penalty compared to stock. Excellent tread wear. Very Good handling, ride, and noise. They’re also good in the snow. If there is a better LRR tire for the Volt, I haven’t heard of it. Make sure to get the “plus” version. Not sure if they still make the normal EP422, but it was a bad tire and should be avoided.

I also recently installed EP422+ tires on the front of my Spark EV. Very different size than the Volt, but still a great tire. The car came with EP150 tires, which like the non-plus 422s, were complete garbage.

I run them at 40-44 PSI.

Any tire will take a few hundred miles to wear off the mold release compound and start acting normally.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Make sure to get the “plus” version. Not sure if they still make the normal EP422, but it was a bad tire and should be avoided.
Ok, thanks everyone - the "plus" differentiation seems to be the key factor here, and yes, the ones I'm looking at through Costco are indeed the plus models.

I've done some more reading and still hear almost exclusively good things about the 422+'s so I think barring anything unexpected, I'm going to go that route.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ok, thanks everyone - the "plus" differentiation seems to be the key factor here, and yes, the ones I'm looking at through Costco are indeed the plus models.

I've done some more reading and still hear almost exclusively good things about the 422+'s so I think barring anything unexpected, I'm going to go that route.
Just took advantage of Costco's 1 cent install + Bridgestone's $70 off on 4 tires for a total savings of $130. Initial impressions of the Ecopia EP422 Plus (94V) are very positive. Significantly less noise than the OEMs (GY Assurance Fuel Max) and the stronger sidewall provides much better handling/cornering while providing better ride comfort. Well done, Bridgestone!

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Just took advantage of Costco's 1 cent install + Bridgestone's $70 off on 4 tires for a total savings of $130. Initial impressions of the Ecopia EP422 Plus (94V) are very positive. Significantly less noise than the OEMs (GY Assurance Fuel Max) and the stronger sidewall provides much better handling/cornering while providing better ride comfort. Well done, Bridgestone!
Range comes back too, minus a tiny bit because the max sidewall pressure is lower on the Ecopias. It does take ridiculously long, though, like 1500-2000 miles.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Based on everyone's recommendations I just had a set installed on my car. They are definitely quieter than the OE tires, and seems to ride a little smoother even at the same pressures I ran with the Goodyears. I did see about a 12% hit to range so far on my daily commute (based on battery kwh used, not the range estimater), but have only had them on for a couple hundred miles so I expect at least some of that to come back. The original Goodyears lasted me about 65k miles, so if I can get close that that from these I would be very happy.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I had a set <Ecopia's> on our 2010 Prius I purchased at Costco. Terrible handling tires. At highway speed 65+ mph the car would drift as if there was a side wind, even though there was not. Took them back to Costco during the 30 day period and exchanged them for a set of Michelin Energy Saver AS tires. Now on my 3rd set and I get 65,000 miles or more on a set and a solid increase, 2-3% in fuel mileage. I'll stick with the Michelin Energy Saver AS tires......
My wife's Toyota Solara doesn't like "sticky" tires - the car has a hard drift to the right. After talking to my local Toyota service folks when I discovered this it turns out Toyota does this on purpose. Michelins simply don't have the grip that Bridgestone has, so this is probably what you were fighting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My Volt has well worn and mismatched tires, the original owners seemed to be "2 at a time" type folks. The fronts are the wider tread 8.4" Goodyear assurance fuel max, rears are the 6.5" tread width), so now that a $70 rebate card is available, I ordered 4 Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ from Tire Rack. I've been running pressure about 40-42psi so far, AER has been between 36-42 depending on hwy/city and traffic , etc... I also ordered a new front deflector as the current one is very "beat-up" after 70K+. After the new rubber is broken in (and new deflector is on) I'm expecting a small bump in AER? More importantly, I expect the car will drive better.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
My Volt has well worn and mismatched tires, the original owners seemed to be "2 at a time" type folks. The fronts are the wider tread 8.4" Goodyear assurance fuel max, rears are the 6.5" tread width), so now that a $70 rebate card is available, I ordered 4 Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ from Tire Rack. I've been running pressure about 40-42psi so far, AER has been between 36-42 depending on hwy/city and traffic , etc... I also ordered a new front deflector as the current one is very "beat-up" after 70K+. After the new rubber is broken in (and new deflector is on) I'm expecting a small bump in AER? More importantly, I expect the car will drive better.
I didn't get much. Maybe 2 miles. And it took a REALLY LONG TIME for that to even be apparent. It was about 1000 miles before they felt "settled in".

On the plus side, much quieter on loud roads and the wet grip is amazingly better than the OEM Goodyears I got rid of.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Update.....200+ miles so far on the Bridgestone's and so far very good. Ride is much improved and quieter, grip is better. AER? will advise after a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
1600+ miles on the Bridgestone's and all is well. Ride is smooth and reasonably quiet. Wet traction very good. AER? It's improved. Not a big improvement, but better than what I was getting before with the worn/mismatched tires. Overall would definitely recommend this tire, for this car.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Like someone above mentioned, the mileage took a LONG time to come back on these. Literally a few months of about 55 km/day driving. They must have some soft compound on the initial bit of tread.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The ones I have are 215/55R17 94V. V-rated Ecopia 422 Plus. In researching this tire there is an Ecopia 422 (without the Plus) available in the same size,that is H-rated. That tire has quite a few poor/marginal reviews on a variety of vehicles. I continue to be impressed with mine for this car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've put 42k on these tires in less then 2 years and they have been great, very little wear so far, quiet and a nice comfortable ride, long break in time 2k.
EV Range: Summer 48, Winter 30-35.
I feel like I have to mention this: The only con is standing water (hydro-planing) 2-3" at fwy speeds, these tires change direction in a hurry! As many tires do, these just react more. I've experienced this about a 10 times, hold on tight! I could lower the tire pressure to 38" to see if that helps but instead it keeps me alert on my late night (45mile) commute home which I don't mind. Tires are great in normal wet weather, I live in the Pacific NW.
I'll probably buy another set of these but I am curious to try something else but don't want to lose range. Tough call.
Other tires on my cars, Cont. DWS06 on my WRX and Mich. Premier AS on wife's Optima both are excellent and plow thru standing water. I think these would be great options as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Today I m landed here due to bridgestone tyres, I have Skoda SUV and used bridgestone Ecopia tyres and its really good and as well as efficient in mileage. This tyre has super quality at affordable & the best price in the industry.

Really I recommend for this tyre, go for it guys

61 - 80 of 84 Posts