GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here’s some comforting news for first-generation Chevrolet Volt owners: zero of them have had their battery packs replaced. That’s right, zero with a capital Z.
Inside EVs reported the news following a visit to the Brownstown factory in Michigan. General Motors is required to have capacity on hand to produce replacement battery packs for warrantied vehicles up to 10 years. But, when asked if any first-generation Volt’s have needed a battery swap, the response was pretty remarkable.
“A grand total of zero Volt packs have been replaced because of ‘general capacity degradation’,” a spokesperson responded.
Let us note there are some pretty high-mile Volts out there, too, with one owner clocking over 200,000 miles.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/08/zero-first-generation-chevrolet-volt-battery-packs-have-been-replaced-for-degradation/#ixzz4H4pbFOdX

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
In other words the only battery packs that have needed replacement have been for a few for other component failures such as the charging and maintenance circuits, or maybe a few coolant leaks.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
In other words the only battery packs that have needed replacement have been for a few for other component failures such as the charging and maintenance circuits, or maybe a few coolant leaks.
The only Volt batteries that some may find being sold as used came from salvaged Volt that suffered collisions. None caused fires after two weeks unused.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I remember a few battery cell packs,and a few components that helped charge the batteries that have been replaced,all under
the voltec warranty

·
Registered
176 Posts
That's really good news...

OTOH I've been thinking if the battery ever did degrade that maybe I could replace it with a higher capacity battery (Gen 2 battery maybe?) and get more electric range.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
OTOH I've been thinking if the battery ever did degrade that maybe I could replace it with a higher capacity battery (Gen 2 battery maybe?) and get more electric range.
In an utopian perfect world this would be possible and also be plug and play:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Do you think this news is kind of a play on words? I was reading my new 2017 warranty book on Friday and it states over time there is a normal amount of degradation which will occur. And they will not warranty replace a battery which falls into this "allowed normal degradation", and if they ever have to replace the battery, it will be replaced with a refurbished battery with the same or slightly less acceptable degradation. Take a look at your warranty books about the battery, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Do you think this news is kind of a play on words? I was reading my new 2017 warranty book on Friday and it states over time there is a normal amount of degradation which will occur. And they will not warranty replace a battery which falls into this "allowed normal degradation", and if they ever have to replace the battery, it will be replaced with a refurbished battery with the same or slightly less acceptable degradation. Take a look at your warranty books about the battery, what do you guys think?
I don't think it matters. There are Gen1 Volts out there with 200k and 300k miles doing just fine. Most people don't even keep a car that long. For those of us that do, this is good news.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
http://www.androidauthority.com/interview-chevrolet-volt-battery-619915/

You'll need to charge your Volt fully 6,000 times before any kind of discernible degradation appears, according to the Volt's chief engineer.

6,000 full discharges, or 16 years of fully depleting and recharging your Gen 2 Volt's battery every day, 365 days a year.
If we assume you drove exactly 53 miles every day for 16 years and only drove on the battery, that's 309,000 miles of driving. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
When you think about how new this technology is and how much energy is moved back and forth each cycle it's really impressive that they are so reliable.

·
Administrator
19,984 Posts

You'll need to charge your Volt fully 6,000 times before any kind of discernible degradation appears, according to the Volt's chief engineer.

6,000 full discharges, or 16 years of fully depleting and recharging your Gen 2 Volt's battery every day, 365 days a year.
If we assume you drove exactly 53 miles every day for 16 years and only drove on the battery, that's 309,000 miles of driving. :)
I remember all the online "experts" bashing the Volt for years after it was initially released. Many claimed the batteries would need replacement every 3-4 years at $40k. I think those people have since moved on to nay-say the next new car tech: autonomous vehicles.

·
Registered
447 Posts

What if the car is run in CS mode? -- I can almost never recharge now, due to a big problem with my condo... So I have to run in CS (mountain mode) almost totally. How does this factor if the ICE keeps partially charging and discharging the drive battery?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts