GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Possible competitor if Volt gets pricey. But this is just too good to be true! Knowing ZAP, I am very skeptical of this. If they deliver, I would abandon the Volt. So GM, better deliver first and fast!

ZAP-X Crossover
AVAILABILITY GOAL: 2010
Approximate MSRP: $60,000

http://www.zapworld.com/zap-x-crossover

The fun, compact, and affordable electric vehicle.
All electric, motor in each wheel, charges in 10 min. 644 HP, 0-60 in 4.8 sec. Top speed 155mph, range of 350 miles. Seats up to 7 passengers.

* APX Light Weight Aluminum
* Architecture Design
* Electronic Braking System (EBS)
* Rack and Pinion Steering
* Solar Glass
* Lithium Batteries
(Bio-degradable Non-Explosive)
* Power Windows
* Power Door Locks
* Power Steering
* GPS
* On Board Carputer with Full Entertainment System
* Length: 15 4 (4697 mm)
* Width: 6 8 (1852 mm)
* Wheel base: 8 9 (2700 mm)
* Track: Front 5 1(1554 mm)
* Rear 5 1(1556 mm)

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Lotus is for real though. I remember hearing about this development effort by Lotus. Perhaps the new Zap management will make this cross-over happen.

I can't see how that vehicle seats 7, unless it has front and rear couches, so that you have 3 in the front and 4 in the back, as it was when I was growing up.

I also don't understand how four in-hub wheel motors only achieves 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. That must be electrically limited (or starved) to increase range.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't see how that vehicle seats 7, unless it has front and rear couches, so that you have 3 in the front and 4 in the back, as it was when I was growing up.
Maybe on the roof or on the hood just like what they do in some countries, :)

Am skeptical, but giving them the chance to prove me wrong. I like to be very wrong on this.

·
Registered
495 Posts
If you are interested in an alternative, LionEV offers a few models (all are Ford conversions).

I was looking into the $38,950 LionEV Ranger as an alternative to the Volt if it got too expensive or too scarce, but I probably couldn't afford this price either.

http://www.lionev.com/Trucks.html

A few months ago, they listed a +$12,000 upgrade to give the Ranger a 450-mile range, but I can't find it on their site anymore.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would take that in a second over the Volt if it were offered. I don't care much for the performance numbers because I have no real need to show off how quick my car can be at a stop light or go 155mph down the highway but it looks like a very capable vehicle with lots of storage and hauling capability. I love it!

It has a touch of MB R-class in the rear and a nice shape overall.

These are the types of vehicles we need on the roads.

·
Registered
256 Posts
It will not charge in 10 minutes on 110 or 220. Don't mistake the ability of the battery or ultracap to take a fast charge with YOUR ability to charge it fast.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Exactly right.

In your house, perhaps you can install also another ultracap which is trickle charged by the limitations of your household power lines or amps on your 110 or 220 VAC lines. Then you have the option to either charge in under 10 minutes from your pre-filled ultracap or trickle charge from your 110 or 220 volt lines if you're not in a hurry.

In the same way, if there are several ultracaps on standby as one of the offering in fuel stations, then you can charge in 10 minutes from the station's ultracap to yours. The station's ultracaps are charged some other ways (like using maybe 100,000 volt line from the main power grid, extremely exaggerating here) during idle time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts