1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
224 Posts
"For safety reasons, we can’t recommend you install this app. It’s pretty obvious that you should not be watching YouTube while you’re driving."

Then why install it? Replies like, "I'm only gonna' watch while stopped." are pure BS.

·
Administrator
21,036 Posts
This is what we all need, to be T-boned or rear ended by a distracted driver watching youtube cat videos instead of driving. :(

This is simply a bad idea.

Meanwhile, some worry about the safety of self driving cars...

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Yeah, folks. Let's not promote stuff like this by drawing attention to the information on a public forum. I am pretty sure this is illegal, and certain it is unsafe and irresponsible. It is bad enough out there on the roads already. People are routinely drifting out of their lanes due to negligent inattention. I'm swerving around them all the time, and one even hit me in the rear bumper while texting. Let's not make it worse. Once we have full autonomy, then do this stuff all you want.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, folks. Let's not promote stuff like this by drawing attention to the information on a public forum. I am pretty sure this is illegal, and certain it is unsafe and irresponsible. It is bad enough out there on the roads already. People are routinely drifting out of their lanes due to negligent inattention. I'm swerving around them all the time, and one even hit me in the rear bumper while texting. Let's not make it worse. Once we have full autonomy, then do this stuff all you want.
You can already watch Youtube videos in a Tesla (not sure about the 3, but definitely on the S/X web browser). So this is nothing new. Well, except for it being enabled in AA.

I could see this being useful for playing vids for kiddos in the back. Especially on the Bolt's 10.2" center display.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I could see this being useful for playing vids for kiddos in the back. Especially on the Bolt's 10.2" center display.

Get a couple of cheap android tablets instead. BTDT Our old mini-van with its 2nd row DVD+wireless headphones was a godsend on long trips.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
^You can watch videos/movies in any car, with the right accessories. The point is that any video screen visible to the driver is inherently dangerous and illegal. I don't think it is in anyone's best interest to promote it. Quietly put it in your car if you like, but no need to promote it.

And yes, many movies have been watched in my minivan, which has been helpful on long trips, but they were not visible to the driver.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Works in the Bolt too!

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
This is awesome. I don’t care about YouTube but it now plays local movies.
I have a bunch of movies on my phone mp4 format. Now I can finally play them in my car on the screen.
We wait at track meets for hours for one event this well be great to watch a movie while we wait.
This video shows you how. I just wish I could get to my SD card I have a 200 Gig card with movies on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAd6inLslqg&feature=youtu.be

I was playing them on my 2018 Volt
(I will not be playing movies while driving if that even works)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Google killed it, but if you have a rooted phone you can still use it. Instructions are on his Github thekirankumar/carstream-android-auto

1 - 12 of 12 Posts