GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a hard time conceptualizing what folks were talking about until I stumbled upon this YouTube video.

https://youtu.be/lGcSgzVtv4I

Hopefully this will help explain the mod to other's.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Meh, I see nothing here that isn't already totally (and better) covered in Chris's thread, plus the guy in that video keeps (mistakenly) calling the receptacle on the end of his adapter an "L-15", which is of course WRONG! It is a plain old NEMA 5-15R, there is no lock, so the "L" does not apply at all (it's a completely different pin layout), and without even a mention of the "5", it could potentially lead to confusion about which receptacle is required (i.e. 120V vs 240V). (I know the EVSE plug will only insert into a 5-15/20, but isn't this supposed to be instructional for the otherwise uniformed?)
As an exercise in showing the potential ambiguity about which receptacle is needed, ...

here is a pic of an L5-15R:

versus the 5-15R:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Meh, I see nothing here that isn't already totally (and better) covered in Chris's thread, plus the guy in that video keeps (mistakenly) calling the receptacle on the end of his adapter an "L-15", which is of course WRONG! ]
Maybe he was referring to some L15-xx plugs which are for 3 phase? ;)

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep. It is easy if you're comfortable with doing things yourself and 240VAC. Additional credit goes to Clipper Creek for making such a great little EVSE ;)
Since there are two different dryer outlets one could find, would I need TWO of the assembled "extension" cords or just ONE with an additional adapter?

I would like to buy a fully assembled cord vs building one myself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Since there are two different dryer outlets one could find, would I need TWO of the assembled "extension" cords or just ONE with an additional adapter?

The 2 types of Dryer outlets are 10-30 (older 3 wire) and 14-30 (newer 4 wire) I would suggest building 2 different adapters that each terminate in a 5-15R rather than daisy chaining adapters together.

You might find somebody here willing to build one and sell it to you, but don't expect to find this type of adapter offered commercial since wiring it in the manner necessary for this to work is technically an electrical code violation. In uneducated hands, the adapter could be considered a hazard. The only thing I know of commercially that mixes 120 and 240V are international power travel adapters.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts

Like cwstnsko said, you'd need an adapter for each outlet type to plug into. The one adapter that I make that works for three different outlets is the 14-30/50/60 since I don't include the neutral pin. PM me for details.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts