GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Very interesting. Makes you realize that design/manufacturing/advertising are more complicated that just what we want/think should happen.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Only a politician could devise such a convoluted scheme, my dad had a saying that applies here - figures don't lie, but liars figure.

·
Registered
354 Posts
That definitely (almost) explains why Toyota went through the trouble to produce a hydrogen fuel cell car (at 4 credits per car sold).

·
Registered
347 Posts
The CARB rules explain the BMW i3 REX bizarre operating behavior, ie., tiny gas tank and no Hold mode. By agreeing to do this BMW qualified the 83 REX as a ZEV and gets the same number of credits as the battery only version of the i3.

Wonder why the article didn't mention Tesla?

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The CARB rules explain the BMW i3 REX bizarre operating behavior, ie., tiny gas tank and no Hold mode. By agreeing to do this BMW qualified the 83 REX as a ZEV and gets the same number of credits as the battery only version of the i3.

Wonder why the article didn't mention Tesla?
I believe the Carb rules only apply to manufacturers who sell more than a minimum number of vehicles per year (20,000?) in California.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Thanks for posting that article. It's really eye-opening. Interesting that GM is apparently selling its CARB credits to other car manufacturers (since it earns the most credits but doesn't have that many in its "bank").

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I believe the Carb rules only apply to manufacturers who sell more than a minimum number of vehicles per year (20,000?) in California.
This is an example of how overly complex regulations can be counterproductive. A minimalist regulation, i.e. 1 credit per 100 miles of zero emission range, would have resulted in more ZEVs on the road. The i3 Rex is crippled by it's tiny tank so it's sales have been tiny. If they had put a 9 gallon tank in like the Volt's they would have had a car with greater electric range than the Volt and with comparable overall range at no additional cost in either materials or weight (7 gallons of gas only weighs 42lbs, exactly the weight of a bag of kitty litter). The Volt averages about 79% electric (Voltstats), an i3 Rex would probably be in the high 80s except that hardly anybody buys them because they have such a limited range. Because of these regulations there will probably never be a Gen3 Volt. Imagine a VBolt, i.e. half Bolt with a Volt engine, that could do 120 miles on battery (1/2 Bolt range). That car would average well over 90% electric, probably 95%, because it could do 100% of it's local trips on battery. It would still be able to go anywhere so it's sales won't be limited by range anxiety. It will be a while before a 400 mile Bolt is possible but a 100 mile Volt could be built today, but these regulations will guarantee that it won't be. Even worse it will delay the electrification of big trucks where the biggest CO2 savings can be achieved. A Voltec Silverado would have orders of magnitude greater effect on greenhouse gas reductions than anything that is done with Volt/Bolt sized cars. But it might not be possible to build a Boltec Silverado with enough range that anyone will buy it until the late 2020s, a Voltec Silverado with Volt like range could be built today, but they won't if they don't get credit for it.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Another interesting thing is what else, what is missing? What BEV or other ZEV are Toyota and Honda going to sell in the future to earn enough ZEV credits to continue to sell mainstream vehicles in California in 3 - 5 years time? The Clarity PHEV and Prius Prime are similar to the Volt in that these TZEV vehicles won't earn nearly enough credits that a ZEV vehicle would achieve. I don't believe they will be able to sell enough of the hydrogen fuel cell vehicles but maybe I'm wrong. Ford also needs to start selling some ZEV in the near term if they want to continue selling light trucks and SUVS in California.

·
Registered
780 Posts
The i3 Rex is crippled by it's tiny tank so it's sales have been tiny.
It is also crippled by being one of the most butt-fugly cars on the road today. I wouldn't buy if it drove like a dream and had a 200 mile electric range plus a 20 gallon gas tank.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
It is also crippled by being one of the most butt-fugly cars on the road today. I wouldn't buy if it drove like a dream and had a 200 mile electric range plus a 20 gallon gas tank.
With those specs I'd have to consider it. Yes the i3 is ugly, so is the Bolt and the Prius has a face that even it's mother couldn't love. Given the limited options for EVs at the moment looks is something that I might be willing to overlook if the specs were overwhelmingly good. However there aren't any available EVs with overwhelming specs. The Bolt's range is simply to short to justify it's hideous appearance, there is no reason to even consider a Prius, what were they thinking with a 25 mile range? At least the Volt is good looking although it's not distinctive.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
[I3 is] the most butt-fugly cars on the road today. I wouldn't buy if it drove like a dream and had a 200 mile electric range plus a 20 gallon gas tank.
Girls are like that!
Fashion before Function!!
And with shoes also, no matter how 'sensible'.....

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts