GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Volt LT Cajun Red
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one had good or bad thoughts on these two Level 1-2 EVSE cables/Chargers?

Price is right for my budget and I have 20Amp 240V outlet with NEMA 6-20 outlet in my garage.

·
Super Moderator
6,539 Posts
I purchased this one recently based on the price and number of reviews. 4.5 stars & 742 ratings.

I've tested it on our 2011, 2016 Volts and our 2017 Model X. Albeit only on 120v. My X charge at 15A for 1 hr before I stopped it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I picked up one of these shipped to my local NAPA. Mainly got it because Schumacher is a brand that I had actually heard of and had experience with for DC Golf Cart chargers in the past. It's been rock solid for me. Also, it's 28-ft vs the 25-ft that I typically see on these sub-$100 EVSEs.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Those are OK for the Volt, but not cars you may have in the future. I prefer to charge faster than that if I can.

·
Registered
2018 Volt LT Cajun Red
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I picked up one of these shipped to my local NAPA. Mainly got it because Schumacher is a brand that I had actually heard of and had experience with for DC Golf Cart chargers in the past. It's been rock solid for me. Also, it's 28-ft vs the 25-ft that I typically see on these sub-$100 EVSEs.

Thanks for the input. I saw the Schumaker one from previous postings in the forum. How long does it take to charge from empty to full on 220V? Also do you have to switch to 16amps or does it do that automatically? I think one of the one I was looking at you had to press a button to switch every time you use it or it defaults to 8AMP charging.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier, 2016 Volt LT
134 Posts
Thanks for the input. I saw the Schumaker one from previous postings in the forum. How long does it take to charge from empty to full on 220V? Also do you have to switch to 16amps or does it do that automatically? I think one of the one I was looking at you had to press a button to switch every time you use it or it defaults to 8AMP charging.
With the Volt it will charge at 240V, 16 Amp without switching anything. If you're charging at 120V it will default to 8 Amp.

Charges from empty to full in about 4 hours. Might not be "future proof" but my Leaf SV came with a 40 Amp EVSE so if I need faster charging I can wire that in. Might be a waste to buy a faster charger now if the car is going to ship with a fast-ish EVSE anyway.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Those are OK for the Volt, but not cars you may have in the future. I prefer to charge faster than that if I can.
At 20 amps 240 volts any of these will charge the Volt in 4 to 4.25 hours. These will be sufficient for any PHEV. For a full BEV they'll provide 105 to 135 miles in a little over 8 hours of charging, sufficient to get you started with a full BEV until you can install a higher amperage charger.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Any one had good or bad thoughts on these two Level 1-2 EVSE cables/Chargers?

Price is right for my budget and I have 20Amp 240V outlet with NEMA 6-20 outlet in my garage.
I have the Morec EVSE from Amazon. It's perfect for my 2017 Volt. I mounted mine in a weatherproof electrical box for added protection and theft proof. Charge time is about 4 hours from empty. Since my electric box has a 6-20p plug, it's an easy plug and play. If it ever fails, I can just go buy another one and plug it in without rewiring. So far it's been great. I've bought it since February of last year.

Font Gas Bumper Electronic device Machine
Fixture Grey Rectangle Material property Gas

·
Registered
2018 Volt LT Cajun Red
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the Morec EVSE from Amazon. It's perfect for my 2017 Volt. I mounted mine in a weatherproof electrical box for added protection and theft proof. Charge time is about 4 hours from empty. Since my electric box has a 6-20p plug, it's an easy plug and play. If it ever fails, I can just go buy another one and plug it in without rewiring. So far it's been great. I've bought it since February of last year.

View attachment 174527 View attachment 174528
Thanks microVOLT I was leaning toward the More based on the reviews.

·
Registered
115 Posts

View attachment 174527 View attachment 174528

·
Registered
115 Posts
My 2017 Volt that I bought 2.5 years ago came with 2 cables, the original EVSE, and the predecessor to the Morec. The pre Morec has worked wonderfully and I use it with my 2019 Bolt. Never gets hot and the 16 amps gives 12 mph of charging, so on the Bolt it will deliver 120 miles in 10 hours which is quite enough.
I converted my defunct AC supply cable to a Nema 6-20R power station for $50 with a outdoor 240V all weather outlet from Home Depot.

Afterward, I found out that the original EVSE has the model number that is able to handle 240V @ 12amps, but I have not tried to find an adapter for it. It now serves as a second power station on my outdoor 110V plugs close to the other power station.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts