GM Volt Forum banner

Young Lutz

294 4
Bob couldn’t help him self during validation testing of a vehicle program in West Germany he was leading in the 60’s. He decided to push it beyond its limits (intentionally). According to the story Lutz rolled it, dusted himself off and a few minutes later proudly took this photo!

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle registration plate
  • Wow
Reactions: RCB268 and TYmrLutz
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Administrator
23,396 Posts
"Yup, I did this!"

moved to General Motors...

Why it would be posted in the Bolt forum is a mystery like so many other mis-posted posts...

Reactions: RCB268

· Registered
354 Posts
Based on the clothing style, and the car style as well, this looks to have been in the mid to late 1960's. If so, I'd say Bob was a little late to the non-chalance party when he copied (apparently just the once) my other favorite flipper, Saab factory driver Erik 'on the roof' Carlsson.

"The name was given to Carlsson as a result of his habit of occasionally rolling a rally car onto its roof. In the Safari Rally, he even rolled the car intentionally, to escape from a mud pool. When journalists later doubted his story, he proved it by rolling the car again. The Ford factory team then tried the same stunt with their Ford Cortina causing more damage to the car than had occurred during the entire rally." excerpt from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Carlsson

· Registered
13 Posts
As a former automotive industry journalist, I was lucky enough to interview Mr. Lutz a dozen or more times at GM events and at the Detroit International Auto Show (2000-2009), where he was always the most amusing and interesting man in attendance. Chatted with him once at a private event. Wonderful guy. Loved his cheerful, ****-kicking, ex-U.S.-Marine persona. (He always stood at attention when being grilled in a massive media scrum). No one else told the truth and cut through the B.S. the way he did. His autobiography, GUTS, is pretty good, too. Wife and I between us own both of his proudest GM creations: a 2007 Solstice GXP, and a 2017 Volt. Maybe I should get a tattoo . . .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts