GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have missed this before, and I searched the forum, but I witnessed something I didn't know existed.. until yesterday.
CONDITIONS:
Range= zero
Our '13 was in "Park" with car powered on (b/c of dead battery in CS mode.)
ICE was off for at least 12 minutes after parking, then came on to give some juice to battery.
The HVAC was on low (eco) cooling the car.
I was sitting in the driver seat for about 10 minutes waiting for my passenger to feed our friends dog. (reason: gone to Europe).

As you would expect, after a while of sitting with the a/c on the ICE came on to give some juice to the battery. It was a little weird, b/c the ICE usually doesn't operate when in CS mode and below 20 mph. <-- unless the battery really needs it, as we all know.

As I was watching the instant power display I was thinking to myself, "I know the accelerator does nothing in park when the generator is OFF, I wonder what happens when the generator is ON and I'm in park!?"

Well, to my surprise, it responded EXACTLY how a conventional ICE motor responds to input! It revved up right away and matched my inputs immediately! Since it doesn't have a tach, I have no idea how high the revs got, but it did rev pretty high the one time I gave it some real input! (the generator shut off after about 1 minute.. and my fun was over!)
So, did you guys know that and just forgot to tell me?

·
8,680 Posts
The subject has come up a couple times, but only in passing and not recently. :)

GM added that mode for familiarity, but it isn't exactly like most cars. The engine always turns at least 1400 rpm when on, and the highest speed it'll go when you push the accelerator is 2000 rpm.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It does the same thing if you pop the hood open and press the accelerator in park. This works regardless of charge level.

Maybe everyone knows that, but I am new to volt.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dang it! You guys do know everything!

.....back to the drawing board for me!*

·
Registered
334 Posts
You can also rev the engine in park during Engine Maintenance Mode.

·
Registered
974 Posts
LOL, I found that out while trying to convince a skeptic that the car controlled the engine and I had no way of 'throttling' the car. So, while it was in park and the 'MM' mode, I said "See, Nothing - *stepped on the accel. peddle.*" The engine revved up and he looked at me with a brow so low and said "yeah..... right!" and got out of the car.
I just laughed.
Oh well - such as my lot in life..

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL, I found that out while trying to convince a skeptic that the car controlled the engine and I had no way of 'throttling' the car. So, while it was in park and the 'MM' mode, I said "See, Nothing - *stepped on the accel. peddle.*" The engine revved up and he looked at me with a brow so low and said "yeah..... right!" and got out of the car.
I just laughed.
Oh well - such as my lot in life..
That's hilarious!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts