GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love this car (2017 Volt Premier), but the Infotainment system is going to drive me crazy.

I have had all my presets disappear on me twice now. About 2.5 months between occurrences.

Also, I am 99% sure that the 'shuffle' setting used to stick between sessions, but it is not now. Everytime I start my car, I have to re-enable that setting.

Is anyone else seeing either of these problems?

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Nope, been FLAWLESS since delivery back in Aug 16, BTW my 2017 was built 06/16. Would help to know when yours was built.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Build date on the door panel is 3/2016.
Interesting, since mine has been flawless I wonder if there is a TSB/Software update for "early" build's?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Today i got to experience a problem where only the radio worked. the iPod direct would not work and bluetooth would not. They would indicate they were playing but no sound. So I had to TURN THE CAR OFF to reset it. Really?

The only other car I had an issue with in the last ten plus years was a Mustang, apparently radio tech is beyond domestics when it comes to iPods

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Today i got to experience a problem where only the radio worked. the iPod direct would not work and bluetooth would not. They would indicate they were playing but no sound. So I had to TURN THE CAR OFF to reset it. Really?

The only other car I had an issue with in the last ten plus years was a Mustang, apparently radio tech is beyond domestics when it comes to iPods
Was the iPod plugged in when you turned the car on? If so, try plugging in after you turn the Volt on. Something about the Volt's USB can be flaky at times

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Was the iPod plugged in when you turned the car on? If so, try plugging in after you turn the Volt on. Something about the Volt's USB can be flaky at times
Well it does seem that whatever mood the system decides on is the mood it keeps throughout until you turn the car off. Surely there has to be a better way to reset the USB/infortainment

• Everything works
  • Sticks between songs, pause/play cycle starts next song
  • No iPod sound and no BT sound, radio has sound
  • Random skips in song
At first I was hoping it simply had problems with long playlists but that got shot down with a simple ten track play list.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Well it does seem that whatever mood the system decides on is the mood it keeps throughout until you turn the car off. Surely there has to be a better way to reset the USB/infortainment

• Everything works
  • Sticks between songs, pause/play cycle starts next song
  • No iPod sound and no BT sound, radio has sound
  • Random skips in song
At first I was hoping it simply had problems with long playlists but that got shot down with a simple ten track play list.
Take it to the dealer with a long list of your concerns.
They will certainly apply all the latest radio and HMI updates, of which there are a couple bulletins already
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?280225-TSB-17-NA-025-software-updresses-addresses-radio-and-infotainment-system-complaints
They will need to perform USB updates for each module THEN apply regular SPS updates via the underdash DLC

WOT

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the no Bluetooth sound bug on mine, it's really obnoxious because I usually don't notice it until I've placed a call and I don't hear anything. Mine is with Android auto. Got mine November 2017, but not sure the build date. The one thing I've noted is that if I start, stop, start the car (I.e. leave the phone connected while I run into a store) with the phone connected the whole time I'm much more likely to experience the issue.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Build date on the door panel is 3/2016.
A friend of mine also has a 3/2016 build 2017 Volt. It didn't have the Android Auto software installed from the factory. Even you don't need Android support, it is still a good idea to get the update, as it fixes other things.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a later build (Dec 2016) but still have various bugs relating to bluetooth and iPods. Weird startup sound behavior, missing sounds when it says it's playing, buggy iPod integration, etc. So they still have to work to do.

Keith

·
Registered
135 Posts
I love this car (2017 Volt Premier), but the Infotainment system is going to drive me crazy.

I have had all my presets disappear on me twice now. About 2.5 months between occurrences.

Also, I am 99% sure that the 'shuffle' setting used to stick between sessions, but it is not now. Everytime I start my car, I have to re-enable that setting.

Is anyone else seeing either of these problems?
I wish I could make my presets disappear - especially on the NAV screen where I want NAV to be full screen. The manual doesn't really do a good job on how to swipe radio/gps presets on and off and what screens if any they are permanently on.

Does anyone have an official method (swipe, etc.) for making them completely disappear on the NAV screen?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My infotainment settings (saved stations) all disappeared this morning. I had also (in some way beyond my knowledge) gotten the saved stations "buttons" to not display in the screen...but now they are back. The strangest thing is that when I replaced the 5 that I have saved, the FAV paddle on the steering wheel now cycles through them backwards (down arrow moves from 5 to 1 it used to go from 1 to 5)... It also seems that that dash display now always defaults to the entertainment mode instead of the info mode.

Has this happened to anyone else? Was there some kind of over the air software update that occurred?

If it is of any value, my car is an April 2016 build...

·
207 Posts
2017 Premier, same problem. They did a flash update, but then I started having worse issues where the interface was broken (couldn't tell it "play Vivaldi" or "play Jazz", says "no content of this type available", couldn't connect to phone contacts etc). They replaced the whole entertainment console. Now I am back to the original problem (which maybe never went away?) with presets randomly disappearing. Are you using radio/Sirius presets disappear, or (like me) are you talking about genres/artists on your MP3s?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd like to try reviving this thread rather than create a new one, for now. If need be, I'll create a new one.

I'm experiencing some of the same problems noted here - but not sure the correct course of action - or if there even is one at this point. So, looking for some guidance.

My main problems are:

-- With Android Auto connected, using either the voice control ("Play Metallica") or simply selecting a song from my phone manually (in Google Play Music), the Infotainment system looks like it's going to play the song, but then quickly goes to "Cannot play the requested song" - or some similar message. .... If I go to a different audio source in Android Play ... Pandora, etc... ... it plays fine. It's only when trying to play specific songs off of my phone - the ones stored on the phone - that it doesn't work.

-- So - option 2 - I try to play these songs using Bluetooth. Not plugged into USB. Manually play the song on my phone ... appears on the Infotainment screen ... but no sound. If I use my phone to play it back, it's fine - but when I use Chevy MyLink as the source, there's no sound. Bluetooth, however, works otherwise - i.e. making a phone call or listening to voice mail. That I CAN hear. It's only music playback.

-- Running Android Auto makes my phone run hot and slow. Which is annoying.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I think the general trend is Android Auto slowness and lag are directly tied to the horsepower of the phone. I personally don't use Google Music but use the MD Player instead, which also has an AA interface. I prefer it because all my music is local to my phone (no streaming, terrible cell service on my commute) and I can setup various driving playlists and once started on my phone, the playlist continues when plugged in and in AA mode.

So try a different music app like MD Player and if you can borrow a more powerful Android phone, test with that and see if your experience isn't better.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You're right - I can't stand the Google Music app either, because I only want to play stuff that's on my phone - not stream anything. I have other music apps on the phone, but they don't show up in AA. So maybe I'll try the one you suggested.

As for the bluetooth part of it - that magically worked yesterday for the first time, for some reason. No idea why or how.

I wouldn't think my phone would be such a problem. Fairly powerful Samsung 6. It's not a problem with anything else.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Hmmm, that is a pretty power phone. You're not getting pairing or connectivity issues, are you? AA still shows on the projection icon on MyLink everytime you connect? Cause if not, I'd think your micro USB cable is suspect. Otherwise, this is a weird issue. My Xperia Z3 Compact has had nearly no issues aside from initial static on the bluetooth connection after AA starts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hmmm, that is a pretty power phone. You're not getting pairing or connectivity issues, are you? AA still shows on the projection icon on MyLink everytime you connect? Cause if not, I'd think your micro USB cable is suspect. Otherwise, this is a weird issue. My Xperia Z3 Compact has had nearly no issues aside from initial static on the bluetooth connection after AA starts.
Yeah who knows. I'm actually less concerned about that than about getting everything working properly. I downloaded MD Player at your suggestion and it does work - in the sense that it responds to voice commands ("Play Metallica") and I hear the song. But I can't see any way to do anything except play one single folder of music (which is essentially an album). It doesn't recognized my existing playlists on the phone, as other music apps do, and I can't figure out a way for it to just play even a random shuffle of all songs. So the search continues.

I guess Google Play Music is just dead in regards to AA ... I see a lot of people having trouble when doing a search for it.

·
Registered
243 Posts

Sometimes turning the infotainment system off and then back on will help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts