GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I let my free new-Volt subscription to SiriusXM expire more than 3 years ago and don't miss it. But I'm thinking about taking advantage of the current $25 for 5 months offer, only because I'm going on a long road trip next month, and it's convenient to listen to BBC or whatever without having to change the station all the time -- but mainly I'm interested in getting realtime traffic updates on the car's navigation system. I know how to use Waze, how to stream NPR, podcasts, other content from my iPhone, etc.; I'm just thinking that having the Sirius connection could make the long road trip a little easier. (But: $25 easier?) Anybody want to comment on any of this? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I spend the $25 / 5 months for the music. Since I prefer not to have Google or anyone else looking over my shoulder, I use a <$100 TomTom including free "lifetime" updates for navigation.

BTW, if you call to cancel SiriusXM shortly before the 5 month contract is up, they will offer all sorts of alternatives, eventually offering to repeat the $25 / 5 months just once more. I have been doing that for several years without any problem. As I recall, in my state the $25 comes out to just over $30 with taxes and fees.

Others on this board will caution that you not give them a credit card number so they can't renew your intro offer at full price. Just post the expiration date on your calendar and take responsibility for contacting them before then and you will not have a problem. In one instance, I missed the expiration date by a few days and was able to cancel with a prorated refund based on the number of days since renewal. I was then able to renew at the $25 promo rate. They really are easy to do business with if you play by their rules. Lots of companies use promo rates to get new customers. Verizon, ATT, to name just two. In the case of SiriusXM their marginal cost for an additional receiver is nil, so any revenue they get flows right to their bottom line. Just as the airlines do, they are (legally) price discriminating, with the result that uninformed customers pay more than they have to.

KNS

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Keep in mind that the "fine" print usually says that after the promotion, your subscription will continue at the "normal" rate. And to cancel the service you MUST call. This is where they put on the hard sell.
I would not mind getting the 5 months for $25 if it would only end at the end of the promotion instead of auto renewing.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I let my free new-Volt subscription to SiriusXM expire more than 3 years ago and don't miss it. But I'm thinking about taking advantage of the current $25 for 5 months offer, only because I'm going on a long road trip next month, and it's convenient to listen to BBC or whatever without having to change the station all the time -- but mainly I'm interested in getting realtime traffic updates on the car's navigation system. I know how to use Waze, how to stream NPR, podcasts, other content from my iPhone, etc.; I'm just thinking that having the Sirius connection could make the long road trip a little easier. (But: $25 easier?) Anybody want to comment on any of this? Thanks.
To me Sirius is utterly redundant. There's nothing I can't do via a podcast, my own music library, and streaming radio that Sirius can do. Not to mention, most of Sirius's stations aren't very good and the music they play is the same over and over and over again. I'd rather spend the money on a Wi-Fi hotspot and use my phone to stream via that.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I sign up/cancel every 5 or 6 months. I like to have it as we have limited cell service. It would be nice to have on a long trip.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I really enjoy the service. We pay 100 bucks a year for it. Oddly enough, we only listen to one station, channel 63, which is "The Message". I truly enjoy being able to listen to Godly praise music and know my kids will never be exposed to all the ungodly music, adds, and profanity that other stations might include. For me, it is easily worth the price paid. We go on several long trips and it is great knowing that you never have to change the channel no matter how short or how far we are driving.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,453 Posts
I really enjoy the service. We pay 100 bucks a year for it.
$100/12 mos = $8.33 per mo
$25/5 mos = $5.00 per mo

Sounds like you are paying a significant premium for the privilege of only renewing every 12 mos instead of every 5 mos. Why let them win the game? Wouldn't a $40 savings be worth an extra call every year?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
$100/12 mos = $8.33 per mo
$25/5 mos = $5.00 per mo

Sounds like you are paying a significant premium for the privilege of only renewing every 12 mos instead of every 5 mos. Why let them win the game? Wouldn't a $40 savings be worth an extra call every year?
My $100 includes all fees. Nope, such little savings isn't worth my time for a service I appreciate and enjoy.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My $100 includes all fees. Nope, such little savings isn't worth my time for a service I appreciate and enjoy.
I agree with you 100%. As a country, we seem to have lost track of "value", and simply want "cheap".

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I agree with you 100%. As a country, we seem to have lost track of "value", and simply want "cheap".
Imagine when the Chinese launch their own "music satellites" and start selling bootlegged music for buck a month.

·
Registered
140 Posts
For $25 every 5 months I keep it for some variety and convenience. But I mostly stream Pandora. I also keep a huge library on a thumb drive for even more variery and control for those times I don't want to mess with anything else.
If you are going on a road trip go for it.

2014 Volt Premium - "Gas? We don't need no stinkin' gas"

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Sirius doesn't work in my neck of the woods, however, I am planning a lot of driving this year in the L48 and Canada so I am tempted to turn it on. Like others said, pick the 'bill you' method and pay by check. It takes an effort to cancel and sometimes several times. And a lot of pressure to not cancel, which is why I hesitate to turn it back on. I enjoy the weather map and traffic on a dash that I won't get a phone call on and won't have to remember to run the app for. (BTW, the weather radar doesn't cover northern Canada and Alaska like my phone does - or at least it didn't in 2014 when we first drove up)

My .02 is that if you like it and can deal with the fine print stuff, get it!

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Every time Xm provides a free access period they remind me how badly the reception cuts out during my routine driving. Regular old FM radio is far more reliable. Even when it's free I get tired of the dropouts, sure as heck not willing to pay for it.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Cancelling is so painful, I would never renew, on principle. If they made it possible to cancel service online or via app, that'd be fine, but forcing you to call and have to listen to the rep go thru the whole rigamarole to cancel is pure nonsense. If it works for you, great, but in this day and age, customer service is king, and SiriusXM is not cutting it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Every time Xm provides a free access period they remind me how badly the reception cuts out during my routine driving. Regular old FM radio is far more reliable. Even when it's free I get tired of the dropouts, sure as heck not willing to pay for it.
I have never had that happen here in the South of Kalifornikstan. Unless I am in the garage. Then it happens every time.

2014 Volt Premium - Safety pkg 1 and 2, Navigation

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I’m enjoying road trips in my retirement. Initially, I found having SeriusXM was easier than handling CDs. I finally decided to transfer my CD collection onto a thumb drive. It was much easier to do than I had anticipated. Now, I can easily choose the music I want to hear. I’m saving the expense and hassle of dealing with SeriusXM for a one-time outlay of $26 to buy a Lexar JumpDrive S25 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
We just bought a 2017 GMC Acadia that came with 3 months of FREE XM. It expires on July 7th, I have it in my Outlook calendar for 1 July to call and cancel. We did buy the Acadia as our long distance TOURING vehicle and it would be nice to have XM when we hit the road in Sept.

I wonder what kind of deal they will offer me?

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
617 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts