GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to all. I recently signed up to this forum and added my name to the Volt waiting list as I would love to purchase a US made electric vehicle. I'm keeping my fingers crossed GM will deliver the goods.

I've owned American, German and Japanese cars and IMHO the only "gap" between American quality and foreigh quality is a perception gap. My GM (Chevy Equinox) , Chrysler (Dodge Caravan) and Ford (Jaguar XJ8) have been every bit as good as my Nissan (200SX) and BMW (318i).

I've been doing some browsing and it still amazes me how many "conspiracy theorists" and "oil company haters" are out there. Back in the 1970's these people "knew" that somebody had invented a carburator (sp?) that would get 100 MPG but the patent was purchased by the oil companies so they could make more money. Now these same people believe that the oil companies and car companies are surpressing electric vehicles. Amazing that we live in a society that believes pro wrestling is real and the moon landing is fake.

OK, I'll climb off my soapbox and get back to reading and learning.

Hello again to all.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I think we see eye to eye on pro wrestling and the moon landings. As for the oil companies, well, you should look into that a little closer. There will always be so called conspiracy theorists who believe in some pretty unbelievable stuff. Please don't let your disdain for a few paranoid schizophrenics influence your judgment on real world issues. The things I've been saying about Chevron-Texaco are not very far out at all and I think you'd agree with me if you did a little research.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Now I never said anything about 100 mpg carburetors. I'm talking about a battery technology much cheaper than Lithium Ion, and it was here 10 years ago. Nickel Metal Hydride batteries do have their drawbacks, the biggest being a high self discharge rate at full charge. But the only thing really stopping them from being used to power cars is Chevron, who bought the manufacturing rights from GM. If the only way to get the batteries is through an oil company (with a track record like Chevron/Texaco no less) then of course they'll be expensive and underpowered.

The slow and painful transition to battery electrics could have and should have started ten years ago. We'll be feeling the hurt while oil executives pocket more money than ever with soaring oil prices. Kind of silly to confuse the issue by bringing up dumb conspiracy theories as if they have relevance to what I'm talking about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts