GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my 2017 Volt to replace my dieselgate VW TDI wagon. The biggest issue is dealing with a lot less cargo space coming from the wagon. My solution was a Yakima roof rack and cargo box:

• BaseLine Towers
  • Front Clip: BaseClip 137 (B84-5)
  • Rear Clip: BaseClip 126 (B38-5)
  • Yakima, SkyBox 16 Carbonite

I was concerned that the box wouldn't clear the hatch, but I was pleased to find the cargo box cleared the hatch by a mm or so.

I thought I'd share as I was unable to confirm whether or not the box would fit the car when I was doing research. Yakima claims the Skybox 16 would fit but speaking to their customer support they couldn't tell me whether or not the hatch would touch the box or not.

20170826_191513193_iOS.jpg

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
I've been a Yakima fan all of my life, with Q-towers on my BMW and rails that fit over existing side rails on my Suburban. I'm curious how baseline towers sit and connect to the car. Alas, with my daughter's Subaru, we bought whatever Subaru had in their catalog, only to discover we could have saved close to 50% had we bought Thule directly rather than through Subaru. Had I known that, I would have checked yakima's offerings.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I hate those Yakima towers and clips. It's not a question of if they will scratch and dent your roof and door sills, but when. I've had roof damage (dimples) and scratches underneath the door frame where the clips grab in two different cars I've owned in the past. I won't be installing racks unless the car comes with roof rails. The Bolt Premium roof rails are a huge selling point for me, I'm glad GM offered them.

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
I hate those Yakima towers and clips. It's not a question of if they will scratch and dent your roof and door sills, but when. I've had roof damage (dimples) and scratches underneath the door frame where the clips grab in two different cars I've owned in the past. I won't be installing racks unless the car comes with roof rails. The Bolt Premium roof rails are a huge selling point for me, I'm glad GM offered them.
If you had dents and scratches, then the installer did it wrong. My Qclips came with teflon stickers that helped prevent scratches on the paint and trim. I did remove the towers when not in use dolly to avoid unusual fading as the paint got old. My yakima's outlasted the car. (BMW 535i which I gave away earlier this year).

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
So how large is the hit to your mpg numbers with the rack and box in place?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So how large is the hit to your mpg numbers with the rack and box in place?
I don't know for sure as I've only had one road trip and the car was fully loaded with the rack, full cargo box, 1 bike on the roof and 2 kids bikes on the hatch rack.

I drove about 300km with about 85km electric and the car reported 5.9L / 100km (you'll have to convert into mpg).

It was largely highway speeds with maybe 10-20km in town.

I can definitely feel the drag with the above setup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If anyone is thinking about picking up a Yakima setup / cargo box, it looks like REI has Yakima stuff on sale until today (-20%). I picked up my box there on a similar sale back in May.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I don't know for sure as I've only had one road trip and the car was fully loaded with the rack, full cargo box, 1 bike on the roof and 2 kids bikes on the hatch rack.

I drove about 300km with about 85km electric and the car reported 5.9L / 100km (you'll have to convert into mpg).

It was largely highway speeds with maybe 10-20km in town.

I can definitely feel the drag with the above setup.
:)
.. ..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts