GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those reaching the end of the XM trial period, it's good to know that you can still get the $77/year price by calling their customer service at 1-800-347-0600 and, after they give you the $199/year or $142.45 a year choice, say "I was hoping for the $77/year deal."

They will say, "since you mentioned it, I can set that up." the rep is not allowed to offer the deal. You have to ask for it specifically. I understand that if you call just before the year is up and say "cancel" you can ask for that rate to apply to the next year as well.

To avoid marketing calls from them, the most popular home phone is (area code) 555-1212.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Is XM worth $6.50/month? Maybe. On the other hand, I get a LOT of local stations in my area. And then there is the availability of iPod/external usb drives, plus the car's hard drive.

P.S. Thanks for the info! I am sure some will find it of use.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I let my XM trial expire in anticipation of a "We want you back!" offer. I got a letter from XM last week offering to re-activate one year of XM service for $77. I called and asked if the $77 deal was the same service that I had during the trial. The representative answered with an unqualified "Yes."

I took the deal knowing that I was agreeing to auto-renewal at the then-current price. Cancelling XM can take several hours of phone calls. Despite that I may not let them renew a year from now. Now back to our story.

Several days went by and I was not getting a weather forecast from the Volt's INFO button. I called XM inquiring about this. They said that I was not subscribed to that service. It would cost another $46 a year. I explained what I was told about the renewed service. Apparently it was not the same as the trial despite what their rep said. I said I was not willing to pay more and wanted to cancel my service. After about 10 minutes on hold they added weather and traffic at no additional charge, at least for this year.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I got the letter offering the $77 service and signed up for it. However the actual cost was higher due to state sales tax and a "music fee" that should have been included in the advertised price, but was not.

I hate doing business with XM, it is like buying from from some third world bazaar merchant that is constantly trying to gyp you. Come to think of it, it is also just like buying a car here in the US.

GSP

·
Registered
857 Posts
We renewed the XM contract, and even ended up buying a second receiver for my wife's car (and it works in the house if we string the antennae out the back door and hang it on a non-metal pole.) Turns out my favorite channel is "BB King's Bluesville" and my wife's is "Classic Vinyl". Now I need to figure out how to make it work in my metal office building.

WVhybrid

·
Registered
467 Posts
...I hate doing business with XM, it is like buying from from some third world bazaar merchant who is constantly trying to gyp you...
GSP
Yup. They told me there was a special on their Snappy Portable Player for $9.95. The next thing they said was "Where would you like us to ship it?" I said "You forgot to ask me if I want to buy it, No thanks."

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Is XM worth $6.50/month? Maybe.
"Classic" XM, I'd say YES, resoundingly. But it's really gone downhill since the Sirius-XM "merger" (more like a takeover of XM by Sirius). They killed a number of great stations and kept the crappy Sirius 'equivalents.'

Then a while later, they started to charge an extra fee for XM Radio Online, which used to be included in the standard fee. Plus the 'normal price' went from $9.99 a month to $16.95 in just a couple of short years. Thank goodness they fold like a wet handkerchief when the negotiations start. Just use the "C" word... say 'I'm gonna cancel.' But who knows when they'll tighten the screws on that, too?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I hate doing business with XM, it is like buying from from some third world bazaar merchant that is constantly trying to gyp you. Come to think of it, it is also just like buying a car here in the US.
Two awesome analogies in one post... well done!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Also, if you plan on keeping the Volt, and we do, you can purchase a lifetime contract on the Sirius XM radio ...it's pricey but we paid over $800 (sales tx, licensing fees etc) for the lifetime service and you can split the payments up into 5 equal payments on your credit card. Just FYI, they don't tell you about the lifetime plan and when I asked about purchasing it for the Volt, I was told that we didn't want that as it only paid for itself if you keep your car..duh...no kidding...I told the rep. that my Corvette is 33 years old, our Trailblazer is 10 years old, so yes we plan on keeping this car too! I also said we purchased this lifetime plan for our 2009 Silverado and then the rep. said "Oh" and sold me the plan after admitting she had never sold one of these plans before so she would have to check on how to set it up.....At any rate, I just wanted everyone to be aware of the lifetime plan in case you plan on keeping the car like we do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I took the deal knowing that I was agreeing to auto-renewal at the then-current price.
I just renewed my XM at the $77 price as I have done every year since I purchased my 2005 Accord Hybrid. When she mentioned the auto-renewal, I asked if it was for $77 and she said no they couldn't do that. It would be for the full price. So I had her give me the $77 rate with no auto-renewal.

This all started when I received a bill a week ago saying I was being auto renewed on the quarterly plan for $38.85 plus music royalty fee of $4.21. Last year the XM lady assured me it would auto-renewal at $77. Seems like their employees need to all get their stories straight.

·
Registered
132 Posts
To avoid marketing calls from them, the most popular home phone is (area code) 555-1212.
When you buy a new car, the car dealer gives your phone number to XM/Sirius when they activate your 90 day trial. I guess you can ask your car dealer to give a fake number to XM to avoid their marketing calls that begin to come in before your trial is up.

Luckily, I gave my car dealer my Google Voice number, so I get all the calls from him, but I have 866-409-3996 and 877-253-3846 marked as spam so the calls from XM marketing only go straight to voicemail and I am not automatically notified of those particular voicemails.
My point being, Google Voice is awesome.
If they have your cell phone number, you don't necessarily have to pay XM to stop bugging you; there is still hope. If you have an Android phone, you can make a contact list entry for XM and set the option for "send incoming calls straight to voicemail". On other phones that you can choose which ringtone for a particular caller id, and use a silent ringtone. You'll probably have to upload a silent ringtone to your phone first.

·
Registered
155 Posts
"Classic" XM, I'd say YES, resoundingly. But it's really gone downhill since the Sirius-XM "merger" (more like a takeover of XM by Sirius). Then a while later, they started to charge an extra fee for XM Radio Online, which used to be included in the standard fee. Plus the 'normal price' went from $9.99 a month to $16.95 in just a couple of short years.
Sounds so much like the recent Netflix announcements of price increases.

Also considering the Merger took so long because it must have been such a threat to our National Security, there is no telling how much money the lawyers took from the merger all because Congress wanted them to offer more plans. Sat Radio is a luxury not a necessity. They should be forcing cable/sat companies to offer more packages. That would help out more consumers.

I actually have free internet listening from my Sirius account.

·
Registered
529 Posts
We have jettisoned the XM but I sure would love to find a way to delete it from the Radio/Nav altogether. Any ideas?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts