GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son accidentally pressed the red SOS OnStar Button today. After that, it seems that our radio will not work. The screen is on and actually stays on after the car is off. You can't hear anything through the radio and when you try to press buttons on the menu,everything seems greyed out. I called OnStar and they ran me through some random "refresh exercises" but it didn't work. I will try calling GM in the morning, but was hoping someone could assist me tonight. Thank you

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Check and see if the red button may have gotten stuck in the depressed state.
That could gum up operation of the radio.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
If the button is not stuck, pull the fuse for about 30 seconds.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
If that doesn't work, disconnect the 12 volt battery for 10 seconds, which causes the whole car to reboot, same as your typical PC computer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The SOS button was not depressed. So plan B. Disconnect the 12 Volt battery. Is that easy to do? Any safeguards? Thank you

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
The SOS button was not depressed. So plan B. Disconnect the 12 Volt battery. Is that easy to do? Any safeguards? Thank you
Pull the fuse first. It is a lot easier. I think it is the left side dash fuse compartment.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
If the fuse doesn't work, the battery should be under the hatch floor. The ground connection uses a 10mm bolt to tighten the clamp. Loosen the bolt a few turns with a nut driver or socket wrench, then jiggle the clamp until it lifts of the ground lug. Make sure the car is turned off first, though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
T-square! You are a genius my friend. I figured out how to open the fuse box, learned which fuse it was from the manual. Used a pair of pliers. Pulled it out carefully. Re-inserted the fuse and 60 seconds later, good as new! This is amazing, thank you.

Thanks to Shark Volt and TSquare, my problem is now fixed! What's next? I feel Like i can do anything now!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
glad we could help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts