1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Are Volt's headlight xenon or halogen headlights?:confused:
Are they adaptavie and directional?
I can't find the information. The only threads speaking about headlights are either very old, or talking about LED headlights.
Can someone confirm this?
Thank you.
Herto

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
The Volt's headlamps are halogen. The bulb is a HIR2 or 9012 lamp. These are the latest generation incandescent lamps with infra-red reflecting technology that makes the lamps burn brighter. (About 1800 lumens.) The design of the lamp was intended to deliver similar performance to HID at drastically reduced cost. I believe tat GM does not offer HID or LED headlamps on the Volt in an attempt to control the cost of an already expensive car.

In my opinion... HID lamps are not a great value. The current Automotive HIS's usually consume the same or MORE power than incandescent. (I tried to replace mine with aftermarket HID's and they kept blowing the headlamp fuse.) The higher color (blue) temperature works LESS well in fog. (That's why fog lamps are yellow.) The replacement HID lamps are very expensive. HID lamps take longer to warm up & stabilize.

LED's would be a better technology... But they cost 200X more than incandescent.

Incandescent headlamps work very well. They are cheap to replace. They are still the best value.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts