GM Volt Forum banner

101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just installed mine. Should have taken pictures.

I didn't feel comfortable stuffing all the wire inside of the housings, and they come with a nice grommet that can be used to route the wires through the rear cover of the headlight unit, so I ended up drilling a 1/2" hole in the rear cover, ovalizing it out with a pen knife until the wiring and connectors would all fit through, and connecting the LED power unit to a plastic part of the headlight housing with zip ties. I don't like the idea that the power unit would be sitting inside of that hot headlight housing, and the mount ends up pretty clean.

The beam pattern is nearly identical to that of the halogens (after slight shifting of the adjustable mounting ring) and has the same top cut-off, so I'm not worried about blinding oncoming traffic. The zip ties that come with the kits are terribly brittle. Two had already snapped in half during shipping and the other two broke when I tried to install them. Currently waiting for my wife to show up with some zip ties.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I prefer it with the LED driver on the outside. The headlight's still sealed, and I don't have to worry about things rattling around inside the housing. Zip ties were a no-go, so I used a silicone adhesive to attach it to the housing.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I prefer it with the LED driver on the outside. The headlight's still sealed, and I don't have to worry about things rattling around inside the housing. Zip ties were a no-go, so I used a silicone adhesive to attach it to the housing.

Exactly why I was talked into upgrading to the latest gen aftermarket LED headlamp w/silent fans + no annoying separate driver module when the body shop got finished working on my Gen1 recently!;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Exactly why I was talked into upgrading to the latest gen aftermarket LED headlamp w/silent fans + no annoying separate driver module when the body shop got finished working on my Gen1 recently!;)
I guess "annoying" is relative. I don't find a 3" box of electronics glued to my headlight housing to be annoying. Having to think about moving parts in a headlight bulb? That would annoy me.

101 - 107 of 107 Posts