GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's the kit: http://www.xenondepot.com/9012-LED-headlight-kit-p/9012-led-hl.htm

In another thread these were recommended by a few people who bravely took a chance.

I could only speak from my own experience with these.....I have them direct "plug and play"....I did not add any relay or anything of that sort....just popped the stock bulbs out...put these in....stuffed all the wire into the housing behind the projector assembly (it's tight but it all fits)....spread out the mesh just like the pictures you posted as best that I could....and put the dust cap back on (that was also a bit tight) but all went in and the dust cap locked in place on both sides.......as far as the question to the modulated voltage etc....these bulbs have a rectangular box in line between the stock plug and the bulb assembly....I couldn't find exactly what that was in the technical description on the webpage......but perhaps it has something to do with what you are referring to.....as far as I can tell.....there is absolutely no flickering whatsoever and as I had said in my most recent post..... after an hour with these bulbs running (including driving and parked for at least 15 minutes)....when I got home and immediately checked...the mesh was warm to the touch and everything looked fine in there.......I will try to get some pics up in the next couple of days to show the beam pattern and the bulbs in the housing........
The biggest difference i noticed is the distance the light travels is much greater with these lights. didnt get the canbus option and have noticed zero flicker. Its just a tad on the blue side when you look into the housing but the light output is white enough to satisfy me.......I didn't pay attention to the clock orientation as there seems to be only one way for the tabs to fit into the socket? I swear every time i turn on the lights they get less blue lol, I think you might be onto something. I drove down a completely dark road the other day and I cant seem to find where these lights fall off. the light travels hundreds of feet and only stops when it hits a tree or other object. the high beams especially are impressive.
Hi Guys! First post as I got a 2013 Volt last weekend! Just want to say thanks for the reviews and pictures of the LED headlights from Xenondepot. I installed them today and they look great! Just as bright as HID but way easier to install. BTW, I stuffed all the wires and boxes "above" the projector lens as there is a heatsink below the lens so I assume that area will get hot. Everything fit inside that area and it was not tight at all.
I really like the added brightness and the whiter color. I was very surprised (and happy) that everything behind the new LED bulb could be crammed into the headlight enclosure.
After installing them myself I think they're right. These LED headlights are better than OEM halogens. I like the whiter (a bit blue even) light and the brightness increase. The specs:

2500 lumens each
360 degree light output
2 Philips Luxeon MZ LED diodes per bulb
100% Copper (Cu) flexible weave cloth heat-sink - perfect for tight spaces!
White 6000K colour temperature is perfect for color matching with HID and LED headlights
Voltage: DC12V-24V / Input (A): 1.6A±0.2A
Lifespan: 50,000 hours
Direct replacement for your 9012 headlight bulb
2 year warranty

They were very easy to install. No modification of any kind is needed. Plug them in, tuck the wires and the box into the headlamp housing, spread the heatsink mesh and snap your covers back on. No canbus is needed - there is no flicker issue.

Here are the obligatory garage door and such photos. I left the OEM halogen in the driver's side for comparison.

The brights especially show how much brighter these are, but we also see above that with the shutters closed (brights off) it shouldn't really be blinding to oncoming drivers.

The claim of 360 degree light output is a bit less than accurate, but only the shots very close to the door show any anomaly in the light pattern. At any distance you wouldn't notice at all. The projectors spread the light well enough.

Overall to my eyes these light up the roadway ahead much better than halogens.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MAJOR EDIT: Xenon depot is saying the bulb should be at 3 or 9 o'clock
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xenon depot is saying the bulb should be at 3 or 9 o'clock
How it looks after adjusting the LED elements to 3 and 9 positions. First is the over the steering wheel view (not my natural driving position):

And this is what I see from eye level at the same distances:

I might worry that they could come loose but I'm pretty sure the braiding stuffed under the caps will hold the orientation. We shall see.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been interested in LED headlights for a long time. I have used xenon in other cars, but not the Volt. I would like a little stronger light output then the factory bulbs provide. It has been my experance, LED replacements just do not cast a strong beam of light. Maybe its the bluish color, but the road illumination just is not sufficient.
Pointing a camera into your headlights will not prove how bright they are. It's illumination on the road that's important. Sure the other car can see you. The blue light makes you stand out. That was all too apparent on a recent road trip.
But how far away can YOU see that person on the side of the road? That is THE important thing.
Side by side comparison in a dark area is the only way to see the differance.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Do you have a camera with manual white balance settings? (And exposure settings)
They look good, but I'm thinking too blue. 5000K is best, IMO.

Hopefully by the time I need new bulbs there are many to choose from. ;)
And showing a shot down an alley would be interesting to see. Perhaps cover one light, take a shot (with manual settings)
And then cover the other light and repeat the same shot

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pointing a camera into your headlights will not prove how bright they are.
That's why I left one OEM halogen in. It doesn't prove how bright they are, just that the LEDs here are brighter than the OEM halogen. That much should be obvious.

We took a test drive and ran out to a more rural area with no street lights. The roadway was lit very well.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Do you have a camera with manual white balance settings?
They look good, but I'm thinking too blue. 5000K is best, IMO.

Hopefully by the time I need new bulbs there are many to choose from. ;)
I've read in another thread (quoted above) that they turn whiter as they "break in". That could be subjective. What I saw was white light on the roadway, not really blue. I just installed them so I can't comment on the turning whiter over time thing..... yet.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the color in these photos. I white balanced (automagically) on my charcoal gray garage floor.

With winter here we'll be driving in the dark a lot more, so I took it as an improved safety measure. $108 isn't too much money, a lot less than most HIDs but more than halogen bulbs. I have 3 sets of leftover halogens now - one with blue tint. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mister Dave, please don't take this the wrong way. I like what you've done with your car.
But, the camera only sees a point of light, strong light equals washout.
Hope your new LED headlights work out for you. I've tried them, they are not for me.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mister Dave, please don't take this the wrong way. I like what you've done with your car.
But, the camera only sees a point of light, strong light equals washout.
Hope your new LED headlights work out for you. I've tried them, they are not for me.
And on that point, I would not say they are for everyone. I'm a case in point......

In my family of blue eyes we get cataracts early and fast. It's like seeing the world through a yellow filter. I had IOLs (intra-ocular lenses) implanted 2 weeks apart about a year ago. In between surgeries I had the opportunity to see just how differently I saw color between the 2 eyes. If I still had the cataracts instead of the IOLs I might prefer the yellower light of the OEM halogens.

·
Registered
473 Posts
One of the inherent problems with the Volt headlight design is that it's too hot (bright) in the beam center. I'm sure this was designed to accommodate the less than stellar output from the 9012 incandescent lamps that are OEM (remember, in a projector style light design you are only using half the lamp's output when on "low" beam; the shutter is blocking the other half of the lamp's output). Since there are fewer lumens to work with than HID light sources, it seems they center focused the light output so that there was sufficient illumination straight down the road, but that leaves less light in the periphery. Unfortunately, the focus design is difficult if not impossible to change by the end user, so a higher output lamp (like these LEDs) just makes a hotter center beam and still does not create the broad light spread that would otherwise be possible with a higher lumen source.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
^this makes sense, but with my LED I am seeing a different pattern that is less hot in the center and more distributed to the sides. It is a definite improvement over stock.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Photos prove neither that the LEDs are brighter nor that they put more visible light where it is needed. Unless the camera's spectral response matches that of a human eye, the relative brightness in a photo is not indicative of what the driver of the LED-equipped vehicle would see.

Nor can such photos be indicative of the impact on the driver of an oncoming vehicle. What I did not see anywhere on the packaging or on the company's website are any words or the logo indicating compliance with the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS).

In the absence of that logo, such bulbs are not highway legal I would not use them. I believe, but am not certain, that one of the same reasons that NHTSA has said that no after market HID headlight bulbs can meet FMVSS requirements also applies to after market LED headlight bulbs. And that is that spectral peaks in the light output can result in a significant fraction of the emitted light being refracted at a single angle by water droplets, or by scratched or dirty wind shields or lenses. This is obviously not a problem with the more uniform color distribution of incandescent bulbs. Think rainbow.

KNS

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I have had the led's in for 2 weeks and they are really working out nicely.so much so I am replacing the HID's in my truck.Light boutput does seem brighter than when I first put them in.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
drove in the rain a few times and never saw any problems.a few weeks we should have snow,I'll report back when the snow flies.

·
Registered
493 Posts
MD......glad you like your new lights.........hopefully you had no issues with the installation and tucking the wiring etc.....

On another note....why do these posts always have to involve the HID/LED police......blah blah blah...it's not legal...blah blah blah .....we are all grown-ups (I would like to think so at least).....and we are all entitled to our opinions/decisions on what we would like to install/do with OUR cars (it's not like we are adding off-road million candela flood lights here).....I have had these for a few weeks now and I have not once gotten flashed by anyone going the opposite way.....nor was I pulled over because they were outshining the sun in intensity/brightness and told to remove them......I mean talking about raindrops or a scratch on the window defracting light and blinding the driver......???.....as if stock halogen/HID/LED systems are immune...........okay....

·
Registered
473 Posts
There are at least two guarantees on these forums:

* If you post about changing your bulbs, someone will preach to you about how it's illegal
* If you post about leasing, someone will tell you what a stupid financial decision you've made

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
There are at least two guarantees on these forums:

* If you post about changing your bulbs, someone will preach to you about how it's illegal
* If you post about leasing, someone will tell you what a stupid financial decision you've made
If you post about EVSE/charging someone will preach about 6.6kW.

Nothing wrong with skepticism and debate.....

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
MD......glad you like your new lights.........hopefully you had no issues with the installation and tucking the wiring etc.....

On another note....why do these posts always have to involve the HID/LED police......blah blah blah...it's not legal...blah blah blah .....we are all grown-ups (I would like to think so at least).....and we are all entitled to our opinions/decisions on what we would like to install/do with OUR cars (it's not like we are adding off-road million candela flood lights here).....I have had these for a few weeks now and I have not once gotten flashed by anyone going the opposite way.....nor was I pulled over because they were outshining the sun in intensity/brightness and told to remove them......I mean talking about raindrops or a scratch on the window defracting light and blinding the driver......???.....as if stock halogen/HID/LED systems are immune...........okay....
Nice rant. If you don't like what others write you are not obligated to read it. If you don't like the law you are obliged to adhere to it or to pay the penalty. Perhaps those whose night vision you impaired were reluctant to flash and risk impairment of your night vision as well.

KNS

·
Registered
493 Posts
Nice rant. If you don't like what others write you are not obligated to read it. If you don't like the law you are obliged to adhere to it or to pay the penalty. Perhaps those whose night vision you impaired were reluctant to flash and risk impairment of your night vision as well.

KNS
Out of respect for the OP and the point of this thread (in which the title definitely wasn't asking about the legality of such lights but you felt compelled to point it out anyway)....I am not going to get dragged into an argument with you on this matter... You have stated your point as I also have and we obviously share different opinions....carry on

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you don't like the law you are obliged to adhere to it or to pay the penalty.
VoltageDrop has a point. OEM HIDs put out a lot of light. If Xenon Depot doesn't go that extra mile to get an FMVSS certification for the sake of offering a lower product price, and the end user assumes the responsibility...... well..... so be it. I wonder if it's fair to assume these or any headlight product isn't within parameters of the law.

As for the law, it applies where it's applied. I've refused to display front license plates on my cars for 10 years without a ticket. Doesn't mean I'll never get one, just that the law hasn't been an issue for the last decade for me.

Perhaps those whose night vision you impaired were reluctant to flash and risk impairment of your night vision as well.
Perhaps he's never impaired anyone's night vision. You may be wrapping a blanket assumption that isn't accurate.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts