GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Volt owner in Minneapolis, wondering if anyone else in Minnesota has looked into or switched to the Xcel 'Time of Day Program' link

They offer lower off-peak rates from 9PM to 9AM, but penalize you for electric usage during non-off peak hours. Xcel will replace your standard meter with a 'Time of Day' meter at no cost.

Any thoughts on this program?

·
Registered
5 Posts
What are the rates at the different times
I LIVE in minnesota pay 11.5
Per kw and most electric is used during day. It would have to be a big difference to pay off.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I live in north subs of Mpls and Connexus is considering cheaper rates for electric car owners. Right now I pay $.113 per kwh.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am also curious about this. Xcel should be installing the meter for me sometime in the next month. They just raised rates on 9/1 however. The old rate sheet shows off peak at 1.92 cents and peak at 16.358 cents. I'm at about 11 cents now for summer with AC savers switch. I'll give it a three month trial to see how it works.

Bought the Volt on Labor Day from Lupient in Bloomington. Traded an 07 Prius and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Look at the rates and do the math based on your estimated normal use. Check out the full off-peak rules which may include weekends and weekday Federal holidays, which would help make more of your other use off peak. But check for TOU plan fees which may be higher.

But also remember that you can also move some other use off-peak,by running laundry and dishwashing overnight. (They have timers, you know. ;-) )

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
If you look at your kWh for your house and what drives it, you may well find the TODU works much better. The volt is a big draw, but it depends on what else you have. We went from 450kWh a month to 750kWh, and we do all the volt off peak or near peak (offpeak for me is 10:30 to 5:30). With ecel 9-9 offpeak you'll be alble to get a full charge even on 120v.

If you current usage is much higher look a your loads (AC higher during day, heating higher at night, fridge a little higher during the day, lights/TVetc more in day.

but if its .02kw/16 vs 11 it should like it work for you unless you have high day loads. Note you can also shift some stuff (such as wash, pool heating, etc).. to take what might be day into off-peak.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With this low of off-peak rate compared to what I am currently paying I'm going to give it a shot. Not worried about high daytime loads for now, a little concerned about next summer though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Xcel installed the Smart Meter yesterday. Took a little over two weeks from when I requested TOD billing. It's cycling through a series of measurements. I'm not sure what they mean but I just happened to be watching it at midnight and the numbers updated. I'll post again when I have some real kwh measurements and costs. Pre Volt I've been averaging about 300 kwh / month and 600 / month during the summer.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I will watch for updates as I live in Maple Grove. I can see the wind mill from my house, wonder if I can get a long extension cord and use some of that wind energy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here is an update after two weeks with the smart meter. It's cycling through cumulative total, peak, and off peak kwh. It also shows the previous days maximum load for peak and off peak. My first bill shows peak kwh at 17.3 cents and off peak at 5.1 cents. This includes fuel and energy charges. I've used 264 kwh in two weeks. 18% peak and 82% off peak.

My daily commute is 21 miles round trip. This takes about 6 kwh from the wall but will probably go up when I start using more cabin heat. 30 cents is not bad considering my 04 Grand Am used about a gallon for the trip and my 07 Prius used about 1/2 gallon. Really interesting is some rough calculations comparing Volt with TOD billing to no Volt and no TOD billing shows a monthly electric bill only about $2 higher. A month of driving for $2. Who wouldn't go for that?

·
Registered
24 Posts
$2 more per month. I've been tracking monthly kwh usage for 14 years. From a high of 1225 in July 1999 to a low of 218 in May 2012. Many changes and variations during that time. The costs for kwh do not include all the taxes, fees, or service charges that also appear on the bill.

I assume that without the car and without TOD I use 400 kwh at 10 cents so a $40 expense. With the car using 200 kwh off peak that's $10. remaining is 100 kwh peak ($17) and 300 kwh off peak ($15). $10 + $17 + $15 is $42 so $2 more.

I don't think Xcel will allow TOD without a significant load that can be moved off peak like an EV or some type of electric heating. I could be wrong on that though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bumping this old thread, because I'm a Minnesotan considering a Volt, and there's lot's of Minnesotan's in this thread.

Doing some perliminary operating cost estimates using Xcel's time of day vs standard rates. I typically use 120 kw per month without the volt in winter months, and this latest summer 2013 hot stretch has seen a peak of 230 kw before Volt.

I've seen one Minnesotan with nearly 600kW off peak, which is great and makes sense to change, but with such low usages I'm only coming ahead a few dollars per month.

Those that have the Excel Minnesota Time of Day plan, have you kept it? It's hard to consider selling the 2012 Cruze I'm currently in to go Volt, but my next car will probably be electric.

Thanks guys-
cruzewantsvolt

·
Registered
77 Posts
New Volt owner in Minneapolis, wondering if anyone else in Minnesota has looked into or switched to the Xcel 'Time of Day Program' link

They offer lower off-peak rates from 9PM to 9AM, but penalize you for electric usage during non-off peak hours. Xcel will replace your standard meter with a 'Time of Day' meter at no cost.

Any thoughts on this program?
Hey Kurt... I signed up for the TOD program last week, and then changed my mind and cancelled it before the extra equipment was installed at my house. (see separate thread under my name). People on the forum say you really only can charge about 13.5 kWh into a Volt, so at 8 cents per kWh under the normal Xcel plan, charging costs me about $1.04/day for a fully depleted battery vs. the 26 cents it would cost under the TOD plan. Multiply the 80 cent savings times an average of 30 days per month, and the total savings comes out to $24 for charging the car.

HOWEVER, you and I both know how hot it gets here in MN during the summer. Operating your home's A/C during the day at 14 cents kWh will easily offset any savings you may have with charging your Volt ... so I really don't think it's worth it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jlrehamnn-

Thanks for your thoughts on this. Your analysis seems to confirm what the spreadsheet that I developed is saying. It's somewhat minimal savings, unless you have a signficant load that you can shift to off peak hours.

Assuming that the Volt will fully charge only once per night, which is about as much as you'd get, is only about 300 kw/month off peak.

Plus you loose the advantage of charging during the middle of the day. If you're home M-F possibly on vacation, or come home early and want to charge before evening activities.

I thought there was a problem with my math when the time of day didn't seem to work out to that much of an advantage.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm on a time of use program in SoCal and our rates are more like 0.35/kwh in the day, and 0.12/kwh between midnight and 6am. Bargain eh?

Even still, it works out to be a small win when you consider a full 12 months of data. It's a huge win in the winter, and a huge loss in the 4 hottest summer months, but overall it calculated out to save 3-4% on my annual bill given no change in behavior.

I keep pretty detailed stats with my homemade power monitoring system, and ran all the numbers.

Now, keep in mind that you have the option to change your usage behavior which will increase the savings. For example, maybe run the AC a little extra before 9am and let your temperature "glide" into the expensive hours, then cool back down after 6pm. Our washing machine also has a time delay feature on it, so I set it to start sometime in the middle of the night when possible.

Here's some shots of my data collection:

Monthly view
http://pm.ls1howto.com/pics/calendar_2013_02.jpg

Daily view:
http://pm.ls1howto.com/pics/mainview.jpg

·
Registered
77 Posts
...For example, maybe run the AC a little extra before 9am and let your temperature "glide" into the expensive hours, then cool back down after 6pm. Our washing machine also has a time delay feature on it, so I set it to start sometime in the middle of the night when possible.
The problem with our plan in Minnesota with Xcel energy is the off-time is 9pm to 9am, and then the time when we pay the higher rate is 9am to 9pm... so you couldn't cool the house until after 9pm... Stupid plan!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Keep in mind the KWH cost for Xcel's TOD is $.21 peak and $.055 off peak during the summer. I notice some are not including the fuel charges in the numbers. I've been on it for about a year. Last month's bill was $94 with 907 KHW used - 797 off peak and 110 peak. Maybe someone in MN could calculate what that would be without TOD. Xcel's raised rates a couple times in the last year up about 15% I think so it's a little difficult to determine savings from past years. I don't think there's big savings but it doesn't cost anything to sign up. The plan is working for Xcel though because I've consciously moved usage into off peak hours where I can.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Hey Kurt... I signed up for the TOD program last week, and then changed my mind and cancelled it before the extra equipment was installed at my house. (see separate thread under my name). People on the forum say you really only can charge about 13.5 kWh into a Volt, so at 8 cents per kWh under the normal Xcel plan, charging costs me about $1.04/day for a fully depleted battery vs. the 26 cents it would cost under the TOD plan. Multiply the 80 cent savings times an average of 30 days per month, and the total savings comes out to $24 for charging the car.

HOWEVER, you and I both know how hot it gets here in MN during the summer. Operating your home's A/C during the day at 14 cents kWh will easily offset any savings you may have with charging your Volt ... so I really don't think it's worth it.
Do note that weekends and 7 holidays are also off-peak, which can help significantly. Starting with that as a base and then adding in some active peak shaving like running the dishwasher and laundry (especially if you dry electric) overnight or first thing in the morning can rssult in a good balance. It's best if you have a s, art meter and have access to your data so you ca see your usage pattern.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts