GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,
I have been experiencing this issues since I got my 2016 volt. When Charging at home with either 110 volt or 220 volt with the stock charging cord my X10 home automation lighting will turn-on intermittently. it seems to do this more when I am fully depleted and am recharging. I am wondering if there is some signal running on the line voltage or is it the Volt reporting to My link causing interference to turn lights on in my home.
Tell me what you think. X10 is about 10 years old and has never had issues of turning on by itself.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
You're using the EVSE that comes with the car to charge at 220v? There is a signal between the car and the EVSE.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EVSE stock charger

Yes I am using the stock EVSE that came with the car. Anyway to filter out the signal from interfering with my switching?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Do you have a good, solid connection from the EVSE to the outlet and outlet wiring?

My first impression would be to open up the outlet and tighten the wires, maybe replace the outlet with hospital grade.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Do you have a good, solid connection from the EVSE to the outlet and outlet wiring?

My first impression would be to open up the outlet and tighten the wires, maybe replace the outlet with hospital grade.
And then look for a good line filter. I run one on all my PC stuff, another for the Volt 120V line and a third for the garage outlets that I normally plug any motorized tools into. Probably forgetting one or two.

I had a box of ones similar to these, only rated 250V 30A:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-new-Corcom-EMI-Line-Filter-20VK1-F7147-20A-120V-/262312088065?hash=item3d1304d201:g:A6sAAOSwB4NW05bK

Here's one that has a plug and outlet:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESP-AC-Power-Line-Filter-120V-20A-AR-D5143NT-Transient-Voltage-Surge-Protector-/182148724043?hash=item2a68e8f54b:g:5mAAAOSwMHdXR2~4

No idea on the suitability for continuous 12A loads. You might want to keep an eye on the temps with that.

These are more like what I had, and a whole box to boot! They do require that you have the ability to properly mount them in an electrical box with the proper size/type wires.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-16-x-CORCOM-F4041Z-EMI-FILTER-40A-120V-250V-50-60Hz-40VK6-LINE-30A-20A-10A-/111988275543?hash=item1a13057957:g:-XoAAOSwnDZUIXMx

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
I used to do X10 using crappy stuff made by X10 Powerhouse. That stuff was so unreliable (you know you will have problems when the stuff comes with a warranty offer that costs almost as much as the component. After about 2-3 years each and every part broke. I have since just pitched the stuff and now have something called Freewire by black and decker. Much more reliable and nearly no component failures. You could try the line filter thing inside the circuit breaker panel, but I don't know if going through that expense will actually work. I've essentially given up except during Xmas season to turn on and off Christmas lights.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I think this is still true ( don't use them anymore)

The Security Console and Sensors use 310MHz. As do the X10 RF remotes.
The Icon RF remote and X10s remote extenders use 418MHz.

It may just be low AC Voltage if you are on same breaker switch panel side

I just went to the Belkin Wifi units - there is even an Apple watch app for them

------------
Small catch 22 : I wanted to use one on the Cable wireless router to be able to reset if the unit locked up :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I finally got signed back in after the hack! Looking to try a line filter on my 30 amp 220 volt circuit , I will post results.
Thanks for all your replies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts