GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

There are more and more posts about Gen1 battery failures, I am in the same boat! If you aren't going to fix your Volt, I would like to buy it. I am in the Lexington, KY area so ideally I want to find something within a couple hundred miles. Message me to see if we can work something out!

Thank you,
wrillo

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hello!

There are more and more posts about Gen1 battery failures, I am in the same boat! If you aren't going to fix your Volt, I would like to buy it. I am in the Lexington, KY area so ideally I want to find something within a couple hundred miles. Message me to see if we can work something out!

Thank you,
wrillo
HV batteries are fairly stout
Would amend your post to read: "apparent battery failures"
Good luck!

·
Registered
591 Posts
I believe that’s true, there seems to be several supposed failures when the problem may be elsewhere. What is also true is that early model year Volts will show some battery degradation. For example my 2011 got 32 miles here on a Florida vacation, a few years ago it probably would have been 36. But complete failures are probably rare. When we see the obvious degradation, loss of range, then something catastrophic occurs we assume the worse case. I would keep on the troubleshooting path before throwing the car away.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gents, this isn't the place to voice your anecdotal evidence of "but Volt batteries never go bad." If you would like to educate me on the matter, please visit my thread here where I documented evidence of my battery failing. I love my Volt just the same as you, but this mentality that the batteries never fail is going to hurt someone financially. Not to mention the bad taste it'll leave for someone trying to get into EVs just to end up with a $10k dealer only repair bill.

Otherwise, lets keep this thread clean and use it for it's intended purpose.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Sorry, it looks like the technical research you’ve done is thorough. Have you done any inquiries to green tech auto on their offering of a Volt Battery for $4,750?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I believe that’s true, there seems to be several supposed failures when the problem may be elsewhere. What is also true is that early model year Volts will show some battery degradation. For example my 2011 got 32 miles here on a Florida vacation, a few years ago it probably would have been 36. But complete failures are probably rare. When we see the obvious degradation, loss of range, then something catastrophic occurs we assume the worse case. I would keep on the troubleshooting path before throwing the car away.
Which is based on nothing but speculation from participants in the forum who have no first hand knowledge of each of the situations. None of them have performed any real world diagnosis instead relying solely on what the OP wrote and what they think. Furthermore they've called into question the conclusions of those who have actually performed first hand diagnosis.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Of course it’s speculation, my point is simply to be wary of some dealerships without expertise on the Volts. The case where an owner was quoted $700 to replace the 12V battery is just an example.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Of course it’s speculation, my point is simply to be wary of some dealerships without expertise on the Volts. The case where an owner was quoted $700 to replace the 12V battery is just an example.
I wouldn't be surprised to learn there's more to the $700 12 volt battery replacement cost.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello!

Thank you,
wrillo
I’ve an extra one pm me first and we’ll go from there

1 - 10 of 10 Posts