GM Volt Forum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
So many people with the same mindset as me about buying a used late-model Volt when it comes time to replace theirs makes me think it isn’t going to be so easy. It will be a sellers’ market. Maybe time to get one now and baby it while treating the original as the beater.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I sold my 2013 Volt and bought a used 2019 Volt last November for all the reasons this thread exists. I realized, hey I want a Volt for longer than my 2013 is going to last (plus I don't typically run my car till it dies.. I want reliability). So I started looking at the 2019s that were coming back from leases. Last Oct/Nov there were starting to become more and more 2019 for sale. I got a previously leased 2019 Pacific Blue Volt (wow that color!) for pretty low mileage - it obviously had sat unused a lot during the pandemic work from home phase. As a little bonus, it had a CA purple car pool sticker which is valid until Jan 2023. It's been running great, and it sounds like I lucked out getting it when I did, before gas rise, low car stock, etc. But yes, I too wish they would have continued to make the Volt!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
So many people with the same mindset as me about buying a used late-model Volt when it comes time to replace theirs makes me think it isn’t going to be so easy. It will be a sellers’ market. Maybe time to get one now and baby it while treating the original as the beater.
My Hope and running theory is by the time our older votes are steadily running out of life there will be many more modern EVs enticing people on the market so most people who got and could afford late model volts will be able and willing to make the jump to one of the many new BEVS coming on the market.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I bought mine with 42K miles and I put 34k miles on it. About 10% on gas and the rest all electric. I drive about 100 miles round trip. Level 2 charging at home and Level 1 charging at work. Most of the gas consumption is during winter. Cabin heater takes a lot of energy and I would rather be comfortable than to save a few gallons of gas.

·
Registered
2013 Chevrolet Volt Premium
55 Posts
Keep your eye out for the 2023 Mitsubishi Outlander. 50 miles on battery then gas engine charges the battery.
With respect. In Europe they get about 29 km range average, from experience because its a tall SUV with bad aero. GM is by far the most accurate to marketing vehicle realworld performance, imho, at least to Euro standards.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
So here might be something worth considering: The 2021/2022 Ford Escape plug in hybrid.

Good cargo room (it is a small SUV), 37 epa all electric range, 40ish mpg with close to 500(?) total range. MSRP beats the RAV4 prime by miles at about $33,000. Reviews say the interior feels a bit cheap but if you aren't willing to shell out for RAV4 Prime or one of those super fast charging EVs you're willing to make sacrifices.

What are the odds the 2024 Equinox EV supports 350+ kwh charging?

Reactions: VOLTandaBOLT

·
Registered
253 Posts
I owned a regular Escape, an older one, but with the current body style, one step down from the “platinum.” It was a gift from my mother-in-law who could no longer drive. I owned it until she passed away and then sold it. It was AWD and wonderful in the snow. I tried very, very hard to like it, but just didn’t. I could never find a comfortable driving position, the gas tank was too small, and the wipers were designed and operated like an afterthought. The person who bought it, I know them, still has it and loves it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought mine with 42K miles and I put 34k miles on it. About 10% on gas and the rest all electric. I drive about 100 miles round trip. Level 2 charging at home and Level 1 charging at work. Most of the gas consumption is during winter. Cabin heater takes a lot of energy and I would rather be comfortable than to save a few gallons of gas.
I bought a 12v electric blanket, with works well with my heated seats.
That reduces need for using the cabin heater which is very wasteful. Just need to run cabin heater occasionally as the glass mists up.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I bought a 12v electric blanket, with works well with my heated seats.
That reduces need for using the cabin heater which is very wasteful. Just need to run cabin heater occasionally as the glass mists up.
Huh, now there's a good idea.

Reactions: VOLTandaBOLT
61 - 71 of 71 Posts