GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you like to tinker a little... I'd suggest a Honda G1 Insight.

Beautifully engineered. Wonderfully built. Aluminum body. Inexpensive.
70 mpg at highway speeds. Simple enough to wrench on.
You can even replace the aging battery pack with new chemistries.

Plus, a huge and very helpful enthusiast community.
Honda Insight Forum (insightcentral.net)

But... 20 years old. No back seat. Small car.
Drives great, though. Tons of fun. One of the best cars I ever owned.

I always took mine to the local (very good) dealer. Never had a lick of trouble with it.
Sometimes, I wish I still had mine!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Too F..ing slow. I'd get rear ended. Remember, Volt has a 100 mph top speed, and 0 to 30 is similar to a Tesla Model S.
Um… Not true.

Get a manual, put it in 2nd, and with a properly working battery, accelerate all the way from 20 to 70 never touching the clutch. When you see people shifting it it in reviews it’s because they have no idea how to drive it.

I did it all the time on short ramps and whatever. Not Volt-fast, but never a detriment on the highway. I kept up with heavy city traffic, 65-80 mph, no trouble. Had it up to a hundred a number of times. Drives better fast than slow. Didn’t always feel safe doing it, though, ‘cause of all the big SUVs and pickups. But that was my problem, not the car.

0 to 30, it’s quicker than you can shift.

·
Registered
252 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
I owned a regular Escape, an older one, but with the current body style, one step down from the “platinum.” It was a gift from my mother-in-law who could no longer drive. I owned it until she passed away and then sold it. It was AWD and wonderful in the snow. I tried very, very hard to like it, but just didn’t. I could never find a comfortable driving position, the gas tank was too small, and the wipers were designed and operated like an afterthought. The person who bought it, I know them, still has it and loves it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts