GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is what I was presented with this morning before heading out on errands

This is accomplished during my normal day to day driving from home to work and back again and routine errands. Granted I haven't needed any AC yet but to routinely and easily best the EPA rating of 38 miles is a testament to GM's brilliant design and engineering.

Just think what I could get in a Gen II Volt.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
This is what I was presented with this morning before heading out on errands

<image: 52 mile estimate>

This is accomplished during my normal day to day driving from home to work and back again and routine errands. Granted I haven't needed any AC yet but to routinely and easily best the EPA rating of 38 miles is a testament to GM's brilliant design and engineering.

Just think what I could get in a Gen II Volt.
Or it could just be a pattern of driving and weather that's optimal. This morning we had a 50 mile estimate in our 2013 for the first time.
- My wife has been on a week's vacation
- My wife's evening out with a friend wasn't on the Interstate as usual.
- I commuted on two days
- There was extra driving around town
- The weather was moderate, so AC wasn't needed.

·
Registered
743 Posts
67. That's what I've been seeing the last two weeks on my 2016. Well actually it was 68 a couple of times. I'm also getting 4.9 to 5.1 miles/KwH.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
My last 3 "trips" have been over 60 miles electrically on my Gen 1 2013 volt.

The last one starting with 80 degree humid weather started off with me maintaining 8 miles per KW over a 40 mile stretch of slow country roads with about 10 miles of driving the lower limit on the interstate.

I then switched to gas for the interestate bout then hit rain the temperature dropped dramatically and I switched back to electric for the country highway section.

Despite less of an elevation gain and much lower speeds my electric consumption skyrocketed with the rain and 60ish temperatures and my trip ended

with 99.9 miles traveled
68.5 EV
and 0.56 gallons consumed.
for a combined 178mpg average for the 99.9 mile trip.

I ran AC briefly a few times during the trip and had an
average speed of about 33mph
peak speed of 65mph.

I am rather dissappointed because I was in the ideal weather to start and was well on my way to over 70 miles of EV.

This trip is still a record MPG for that route
but did not beat my previous record for EV range on that same route.

I am hoping I will get another long and slow opportunity with good weather to try to beat my previous record but I am not sure if I can break the 68.5 mile limit.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
They recently fixed/upgraded the road that I use to make my basic 50 mile work commute, which has resulted in an average speed increase of about 5 mph. That has in turn resulted in about a 10% decrease in range. I'm hoping summer weather provides a nice boost, plus I'm probably going to add about 4 psi to my tires. It would be nice to get back to making my entire work commute only on electricity.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hello ...Good EV's especially on a Gen1. Tks for including the average speed which is a key important variable in getting over 50 EV or even getting close to 50 EV Miles. I just hit 50 EV miles this week on MY2015, which is good for me, on a highway where it is very very hard to go less then 55MPH unless traffic is slow ahead of you. Maybe 45MPH (mean or less) on the way home allowed me to do the 50 EV miles. And the 2015 has a bigger battery cause i had done the same route for 3 years in a MY 2013. Never getting near 50.
There are previous threads and charts that show a linear relation between speed and EV miles. The peak seems to betweem 25-35 maybe 40MPH. Not sure which. maybe some day I will get up a 3 AM and drive to work at 35MPH and see what I get then
I would dare to say its impossible to do 48EV miles at highway speeds of 50-55 MPH.

My last 3 "trips" have been over 60 miles electrically on my Gen 1 2013 volt.

The last one starting with 80 degree humid weather s

I ran AC briefly a few times during the trip and had an
average speed of about 33mph
peak speed of 65mph.
with good weather to try to beat my previous record but I am not sure if I can break the 68.5 mile limit.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Hello ...Good EV's especially on a Gen1. Tks for including the average speed which is a key important variable in getting over 50 EV or even getting close to 50 EV Miles. I just hit 50 EV miles this week on MY2015, which is good for me, on a highway where it is very very hard to go less then 55MPH unless traffic is slow ahead of you. Maybe 45MPH (mean or less) on the way home allowed me to do the 50 EV miles. And the 2015 has a bigger battery cause i had done the same route for 3 years in a MY 2013. Never getting near 50.
There are previous threads and charts that show a linear relation between speed and EV miles. The peak seems to betweem 25-35 maybe 40MPH. Not sure which. maybe some day I will get up a 3 AM and drive to work at 35MPH and see what I get then
I would dare to say its impossible to do 48EV miles at highway speeds of 50-55 MPH.
Look up previous posts by member ari_c: he was able to achieve over 80 miles in the smallest battery Gen 1 Volt. The most efficient speed for the Volt is 20(+/-5) mph. In theory, 15 mph might be more efficient, but no one has proven it. And anything past 25 mph will be less efficient.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts