GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today was the first day I had a chance to almost fully deplete the battery on my new 2016 Volt. The results exceeded all my expectations and the EPA data, by far. I went 53 miles, used 12.7 kW from the battery, and had 7 miles of range left.

This was a round trip drive starting at 7400 feet, going down to 6500 feet, and then up to 8000 feet and the return was just the opposite. About a quarter of the miles were on a country road traveling 45 MPH, about two thirds the distance was on a highway traveling 60 MPH, and the rest was in town driving at 35 MPH. The outside temperature was 55° and the climate control was set on Auto, Max (used to be comfort on the GEN I) with a temperature setting of 69°.

So while my speeds were generally less than interstate highway speeds there was considerable elevation gain and loss. It is important to keep in mind that while one regenerates power going downhill, due to charging losses and other factors, the amount of energy expended moving the car on the level or going up an incline aways exceeds what one can recapture through regen.

Under those conditions I should've been able to go a full 60 miles on the charge which significantly exceeds the EPA range of 53. I also note that given the data on kilowatts used, miles driven, and remaining range, the expected total usage of kilowatts from the battery would be 14.37 kW. That is far in excess of the 11 kW I usually got from my 2015 and the 10 1/2 kW I usually got from my 2014.

I also note that I previously got 41 miles per gallon driving 70 to 75 MPH going from Los Angeles to Durango, which has a net elevation gain to my house of 7400 feet

Chevy has hit another home run. Not only is the car fantastic but also they have under promised and over delivered on its performance.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Nice write up on your route review of the new volts, Gary that's really wonderful. Just a little confused on your 41 miles per gallon on your trip from Los Angeles to Durango you mean this new volt got 41 miles per gallon going uphill to Durango correct? I wasn't sure if you were talking about your old Volt or this current volt because you just said "previously".
Do you think the heater has been significantly changed for the air conditioning in this new vaulter just the controls for such?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Nice write up on your route review of the new volts, Gary that's really wonderful. Just a little confused on your 41 miles per gallon on your trip from Los Angeles to Durango you mean this new volt got 41 miles per gallon going uphill to Durango correct? I wasn't sure if you were talking about your old Volt or this current volt because you just said "previously".
Do you think the heater has been significantly changed for the air conditioning in this new vaulter just the controls for such?
That was the 2016 Volt going from Los Angeles at sea level to my house in Durango for a total of 820 miles. About 780 miles was on gas and got 41 MPG. The remaining 40 miles was on battery.

Other than the controls, have not identified any HVAC changes. I like to be comfortable, and auto "comfort" now "max" has always worked well for me. I just make minor temperature adjustments as needed.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Chevy has hit another home run. Not only is the car fantastic but also they have under promised and over delivered on its performance.
Nice write-up Gary, I agree. I had to make a trip to a friend's house yesterday and it was 34 miles each way... did not have the elevation changes you noted, just small rolling hills here and there. So I was wondering if I could make it on EV alone since about 20 of the 34 miles were in a 55 MPH speed limit, which is not that fast but still seems to burn through the charge less efficiently then slower speeds.

Trip completed 68.4 miles on 14.2 kWh, got home with 1 mile of range remaining, was pretty happy that I completed all on EV.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice write-up Gary, I agree. I had to make a trip to a friend's house yesterday and it was 34 miles each way... did not have the elevation changes you noted, just small rolling hills here and there. So I was wondering if I could make it on EV alone since about 20 of the 34 miles were in a 55 MPH speed limit, which is not that fast but still seems to burn through the charge less efficiently then slower speeds.

Trip completed 68.4 miles on 14.2 kWh, got home with 1 mile of range remaining, was pretty happy that I completed all on EV.
That's great. Damn I love this car. I'm more psyched than I was with my first Volt in 2012.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Jeff - I want to learn your driving technique. You seem to eek out every EV mile from your car. I have only had my car a few days, Haven't pushed the EV limits, but am seeing mid 50's to low 60's in expected range. Colder mornings and evenings here in CT don't help. Mix of Hwy (lower EV day) and hilly country roads. Maybe 300 foot elevation changes.

Gary- Another great write up. Psyched to hear you get this kind of performance in CO.

·
Registered
435 Posts
That was the 2016 Volt going from Los Angeles at sea level to my house in Durango for a total of 820 miles. About 780 miles was on gas and got 41 MPG. The remaining 40 miles was on battery.
Haha, you killed your lifetime mpg with the 780 miles on gas. Does the Gen II still have the 250+ mpg display?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Jeff - I want to learn your driving technique. You seem to eek out every EV mile from your car. I have only had my car a few days, Haven't pushed the EV limits, but am seeing mid 50's to low 60's in expected range. Colder mornings and evenings here in CT don't help. Mix of Hwy (lower EV day) and hilly country roads. Maybe 300 foot elevation changes.
Some people get really good at MPG, shifting to 'N' or 'L' at the right times to really eek out the most, but that stuff is beyond me. However I've now driven about 375k miles in hybrids so it's pretty routine to always try to be cognizant of getting good MPG (that's the nice way to say it, wife says I'm a mileage ho). I just try to be as smooth as possible, accelerating smoothly from a stop and if possible avoiding stops by coasting to red lights and then using less energy to get the car back to speed from a slow move rather than a dead stop. If you go onto youtube and search "shake weight" you'll see that fitness/exercise thing that's supposed to be great for that purpose due to all of the rapid starting and stopping... I try and make the car do the opposite and avoid the stops and starts where the energy gets wasted.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Downhill Phantom software glitch fixed in 2016 VOLT?

This was a round trip drive starting at 7400 feet, going down to 6500 feet,...
Gary, I have a question: What does the 2016 Energy display show, when you start with a fully charged battery and drive downhill?
Does the Re-Gen work for some time? Do you get some "BONUS" kWh squeezed into the battery?

I am asking, because I live on a mountain and the first 9 miles each day are downhill. My 2013 VOLT always shows these downhill RE-GEN miles with a full battery as gas-miles. So, I never see a 100% EV mile display, there are always some "PHANTOM"-gas miles shown. Did GM fix that issue?
Thanks

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gary, I have a question: What does the 2016 Energy display show, when you start with a fully charged battery and drive downhill?
Does the Re-Gen work for some time? Do you get some "BONUS" kWh squeezed into the battery?

I am asking, because I live on a mountain and the first 9 miles each day are downhill. My 2013 VOLT always shows these downhill RE-GEN miles with a full battery as gas-miles. So, I never see a 100% EV mile display, there are always some "PHANTOM"-gas miles shown. Did GM fix that issue?
Thanks
For all my Volts it has been the same. The trip is seven miles. If I were driving on the flat I would use close to 1.8 KwH. In my case it only shows I used about 0.5 KwH and all the miles are battery. It has never shown gas miles and I can't imagine why it would unless I was using Hold.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts

Great driving results! Yesterday I drove about 12 miles in San Francisco, then drove on I-280 to Cupertino at 60-65 mph. My efficiency was not as good as yours - 51.9 miles on 13.8 kWh (2 miles EV left). At 3.76 miles/kWh, this value is comparable to the results I get with my 2011 LEAF. so looking forward to gain efficiency by driving more on the flatlands of Silicon Valley.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Do you have to incorporate use of the regenerative braking paddle to get that mileage?

·
Registered
281 Posts
the expected total usage of kilowatts from the battery would be 14.37 kW. That is far in excess of the 11 kW I usually got from my 2015 and the 10 1/2 kW I usually got from my 2014.
What am i missing here? GM just opened up the battery buffer window (usable vs. total capacity). That same "performance" could be had with a similarly aggressive approach in Gen 1, which was engineered more conservatively.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Do you have to incorporate use of the regenerative braking paddle to get that mileage?
I don't think it's required, but I use it when the speeds are a little quicker, as using it at lower speeds makes for a more abrupt stop and I'd rather have a nice smooth slowdown (and stop if needed) at lower speeds. But if you have a repeated route like your AM or PM commute, try it yourself one day with always using the paddle and the next day with not using it at all (assuming weather and traffic conditions are pretty similar) and see which way gets you the better results - and let us all know how it goes.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Today was the first day I had a chance to almost fully deplete the battery on my new 2016 Volt. The results exceeded all my expectations and the EPA data, by far. I went 53 miles, used 12.7 kW from the battery, and had 7 miles of range left.

This was a round trip drive starting at 7400 feet, going down to 6500 feet, and then up to 8000 feet and the return was just the opposite. About a quarter of the miles were on a country road traveling 45 MPH, about two thirds the distance was on a highway traveling 60 MPH, and the rest was in town driving at 35 MPH. The outside temperature was 55° and the climate control was set on Auto, Max (used to be comfort on the GEN I) with a temperature setting of 69°.

So while my speeds were generally less than interstate highway speeds there was considerable elevation gain and loss. It is important to keep in mind that while one regenerates power going downhill, due to charging losses and other factors, the amount of energy expended moving the car on the level or going up an incline aways exceeds what one can recapture through regen.

Under those conditions I should've been able to go a full 60 miles on the charge which significantly exceeds the EPA range of 53. I also note that given the data on kilowatts used, miles driven, and remaining range, the expected total usage of kilowatts from the battery would be 14.37 kW. That is far in excess of the 11 kW I usually got from my 2015 and the 10 1/2 kW I usually got from my 2014.

I also note that I previously got 41 miles per gallon driving 70 to 75 MPH going from Los Angeles to Durango, which has a net elevation gain to my house of 7400 feet

Bad: elevation changes
Good: driving at altitude
Good: low speeds
Fair: weather + climate control

I would expect to beat the EPA in those conditions.

·
Registered
675 Posts
What am i missing here? GM just opened up the battery buffer window (usable vs. total capacity). That same "performance" could be had with a similarly aggressive approach in Gen 1, which was engineered more conservatively.
A lot of improvements were made to the battery chemistry so that even with the bigger window, the gen2 battery is expected to have a longer lifetime. I copied this chart from GM's slides; "Jeff Cobb's-review-reply-post#7" (which goes from 60% to 100%) and shows 87% capacity at 150k miles for the gen2 18.4kwh battery. The corresponding number for the 16.5kwh battery is 85% retention, and for the original 16.0kwh gen1.0 battery is 82% capacity at 150k miles. It would be more accurate to say that the battery and surrounding electronics improvements have allowed GM to use a bigger battery utilization window on the gen2 battery than GM used on the gen1 battery, without sacrificing quality.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Thank you, Sheldon.

IIRC there were some changes made in the battery chemistry for Gen 2 that allowed a deeper battery discharge without compromising battery integrity. These upgrades would not be applicable to the Gen 1 battery packs.

Some information contained in this article.

http://articles.sae.org/13666/

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Oh, man -I gotta follow Jeff_h's advice and get a 2016! I'll be looking in December - wow, it's only one more more month, and it's the biggest Christmas gift I've ever gotten myself. You guys are driving Nissan Leaf all electric ranges in your 2016's wow!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Oh, man -I gotta follow Jeff_h's advice and get a 2016! I'll be looking in December - wow, it's only one more more month, and it's the biggest Christmas gift I've ever gotten myself. You guys are driving Nissan Leaf all electric ranges in your 2016's wow!
That note above said 68.4 miles on 14.2 kWh.... well things keep getting better (beautiful 76 degree weather sure helped), this afternoon got 82.0 miles on 14.1 kWh... SWEET!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts