GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After reading a few threads some problems people were experiencing, it got me thinking about one concern I have which is what happens if you hit the power button and shift immediately into a gear? There is a time lag where the systems are firing up, there's even a message that says wait to shift.

So what if someone unfamiliar with a Volt (like when you valet), or someone in a hurry, just shifts immediately? Can that cause problems within the car's computer, it systems adversely affected in some way? Could it be a cause of any of the problems some members have?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've done this myself a few times (shifted into gear 'too early') -> Thus far I've seen no consequence.

I tend to never valet my cars because the experience always feels 'weird' ... I'm so far out of the 1% that I'd just rather park it myself.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well, I can't say I really listen to that demand all of the time. I try to adhere to the delay, but probably don't 20% of the time. No ill effects with 14k miles so far.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
At hotels with EV charging, often you need to valet the car to get them to charge it for you. It always works great for us.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The only issues I have had with valets is when they can't drive a stick. Volt shouldn't have any issues. I don't wait for the screen to say ok to shift, drives the wife crazy.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Always valet..... life is to short to
Spend in a parking lot.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Heck yeah! The more people who drive the Volt the better. Always get a compliment on it from the Valet, who probably gets so tired of seeing the same old stodgy BMWs, Benz's, etc.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
At hotels with EV charging, often you need to valet the car to get them to charge it for you. It always works great for us.
The one time I tried this, pointing out the charge port and everything, I came back and the dufus hadn't plugged the car in. Had to burn some gas on the way home, so messed up my voltstats. (Horrors!)

·
Registered
926 Posts
Huh, I'll need to keep this in mind so I can make sure I'm the one who plugs in my Volt. Because...

I won't let anyone to touch my car till the novelty wears off!
...the novelty hasn't worn off yet.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies, I'm not surprised to see that there is no adverse effect of shifting before the initializing message asking us to wait goes away. I can see it being too easy to do, I've become accustomed to waiting myself but do have the urge to shift early once in a while.

I used Valet as an example of someone behind the wheel who may not be used to waiting (those guys are always in a hurry), I can go years without valet use, so that wasn't really my concern. I used an example in another thread of the smog test technician, or anyone else getting behind the wheel. I wondered if the smog guy would even be familiar with putting the car in Hold mode to test emissions or would he simply test in Normal mode and be puzzled about the outcome.

Anyway, the question has been solidly answered by the group, much appreciated!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I actually found out the answer to your question during my test drive (not my car, right?). The gas was mashed while the start up screen was telling me to wait... the car drove. I would not have purchased it if I had to wait 3 seconds to put the thing in drive every damn time.

did it never occur to you to just try it? Like GM would give you a car that would break if you didn't wait three seconds first.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I had a valet tell me he doesn't like to drive hybrids 'cause he could never tell when it's on.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
After reading a few threads some problems people were experiencing, it got me thinking about one concern I have which is what happens if you hit the power button and shift immediately into a gear? There is a time lag where the systems are firing up, there's even a message that says wait to shift.

So what if someone unfamiliar with a Volt (like when you valet), or someone in a hurry, just shifts immediately? Can that cause problems within the car's computer, it systems adversely affected in some way? Could it be a cause of any of the problems some members have?
Of course I would and have. I've had much nicer vehicles parked without issue.
This is a car, not a futuristic space ship....

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I had a valet tell me he doesn't like to drive hybrids 'cause he could never tell when it's on.
Guess he needs to change professions. The XT5 loaner I had turned the engine off if at idle for more than a couple seconds.

I don't have any issues with valet service. I use them at the hospital and at some clubs I frequent. Some of them have valet only.

Valet is much easier/safer than walking from a parking place and not knowing if you'll encounter a shootist. A guy got shot (and killed) last night over an argument about a dent in his truck. sheesh.

In the fairly near future, the car will park itself, so, no need for valet.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Of course I would and have. I've had much nicer vehicles parked without issue.
This is a car, not a futuristic space ship....
Funny, because mine sounds like one each time I turn it on. It's not about how nice it is, or how much it cost compared to "nicer" vehicles. It's about that message that pops up every time, "Initializing...Wait to Shift". Generally when a piece of equipment tells me to do something, either in a message or in the instructions/manual, I tend to listen. To try and shift early to "see what happens" doesn't seem to make sense to me. So many messages on message boards, over many, many years correctly refer to "RTFM". Here you don't have to, it's in your face each and every time.

Valets are cool if you like to use them, cool if you don't. There are more things that can go wrong with this car than most on the road that don't come with this level of tech/engineering. I've had a few issues in just my first few months of ownership, unlike I've experienced with a new car before. At the same time it is the best car I've owned so far too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts