GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been waffling around a few EREV options the past couple of months. Used Gen 1 Volt, new Gen 2 Volt, or new Honda Clarity PHEV.

The short of it is I like the speed of the gen 2 Volt, heated steering wheel, and the lighter curb weight. Honda Clarity has a great looking interior, lots of room inside. Kinda meh on the looks, no heated steering wheel, it's not as fast as gen 2 Volt even with the ICE kicking in, dealers won't budge much from MSRP so it's more than I really want to spend on a new car.

The gen 1 Volt I do like how it drives on a couple of test drives. It's got a bit more NVH than the gen 2 Volt, especially with the range extender running on a depleted battery pack. No heated steering wheel unless I want to retrofit (possible depending on cost...). The AER will easily get me to and from my job where I can theoretically charge (lots of demand for the chargers, gotta schedule small blocks of time), even if I move in the near future (~10-16 mile round trip).

So my question for current gen 1 Volt owners is - would you re-buy the car for the current used price of ~$14-16k '14s and '15s are going for if you were in the market for an EREV and had the few extra options on the market that are there today?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
It's all about the money. I would definitely purchase the Gen 1 again but of course the Gen 2 is a better Car in most respects.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yes, without hesitation. I've only had mine 5 months, but I love it.

You save so much money buying used, and the nice thing with the volt, is that Voltec warranty that will still have 5 years of coverage on a 3 year old car.

If you find a CPO volt, you'll be a 12 month/12k bumper to bumper warranty too.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I bought my current 2014 two years ago for $18k cpo. I'm keeping it until a compelling SUV form factor arrives, or the charging infrastructure convinces me that longer trips won't be a hassle.

·
Registered
491 Posts
My 2011 with 108,500 miles still performs very well with little range deterioration and no other issues. And when I look at autotrader I see many Volts for $11,000 or $12,000 with low miles. With the 8/100K warranty I see a used Volt as a great value.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's all about the money. I would definitely purchase the Gen 1 again but of course the Gen 2 is a better Car in most respects.
Definitely.

Seems like a gen 2 Volt LT with leather/comfort/driver confidence pkgs is about $24k OTD with all incentives factored in, and a gen 1 Premier would be about $15-16k OTD with some haggling. It doesn't seem like a huge difference for a new car, but it's about 50% again the gen 1 price to get into the gen 2.

I've been dreading the somewhat higher costs than anticipated in my BMW X5 over the past 2 years, so I'm thinking cheaper = better this time around.

Seems most people are genuinely pleased with their gen 1's here, so that's a good sign.

·
Registered
19 Posts
ABSOLUTELY!!!

The Gen I still bests all other EREV(s) on the market in electric range save for the Gen II. In 3 years, when my son turns 16 he'll either inherit my 2013; or I'll keep mine and find him a good condition Gen I. That's how satisfied I am with my Gen I.

·
Administrator
20,198 Posts
I'd buy my 2011 from me in a heartbeat. But I'm not selling it, even to me. :)

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Knowing what I know now? Absolutely yes.
It was one of the most over-protected vehicles built and designed to last.
Add in the ERDTT defeat switch and my dislikes drop to a very small list.

The clarity has an extremely long list of dislikes:
-looks
-no dedicated EV mode - will always run the engine under high load or cold temp situations even though it has motors capable of driving EV like the volt
-no battery heat (US model)

Just to name a couple. I'm sure more will surface as more people start to drive it and share their experience.

The only vehicle to change my mind would be if GM offered voltec in a slightly larger format or different form (CUV/SUV).
I find myself often a little cramped when going on extended road trips, trying to fit everything in (with only me and 0-1 passengers)
A little more room would make it easier to be a single vehicle in the household (as mine is today).
As it stands now, there is no competition, in my mind.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've been waffling around a few EREV options the past couple of months. Used Gen 1 Volt, new Gen 2 Volt, or new Honda Clarity PHEV.

The short of it is I like the speed of the gen 2 Volt, heated steering wheel, and the lighter curb weight. Honda Clarity has a great looking interior, lots of room inside. Kinda meh on the looks, no heated steering wheel, it's not as fast as gen 2 Volt even with the ICE kicking in, dealers won't budge much from MSRP so it's more than I really want to spend on a new car.

The gen 1 Volt I do like how it drives on a couple of test drives. It's got a bit more NVH than the gen 2 Volt, especially with the range extender running on a depleted battery pack. No heated steering wheel unless I want to retrofit (possible depending on cost...). The AER will easily get me to and from my job where I can theoretically charge (lots of demand for the chargers, gotta schedule small blocks of time), even if I move in the near future (~10-16 mile round trip).

So my question for current gen 1 Volt owners is - would you re-buy the car for the current used price of ~$14-16k '14s and '15s are going for if you were in the market for an EREV and had the few extra options on the market that are there today?
Yes.

2014 Volt Premium - Safety pkg 1 and 2, Navigation

·
Registered
902 Posts
My used 2013 Volt Premium was $20,000 with 10,000 miles on the odometer. With 30,000 of my own miles on it, about 10,000 miles of gasoline-only miles, I am satisfied with performance, efficiency, and adequate cargo room for extended vacations in remote mountain locations. The greatest frustration has been lack of charging station infrastructure and the two or three hours per day required for every half-charge of the battery pack to accommodate a 20-mile commute. Be certain of your access to charging stations before you purchase. My homeowner's association put a ban on electric vehicle charging on my property. I am lucky to have a charging station a half-mile away that is primarily occupied during the day, so I can charge every evening. Hiking through drifts of snow in single-digit temperatures late at night to fetch my car can be uncomfortable, but no more inconvenient than taking a dog for a walk every night. Running on electricity is smooth and quiet. Working with sixty men who love their gas-guzzling trucks and jeeps can be a challenge, but they go through about as much gasoline in a month as I use in a year.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I loved our 2012 so much, and was so confident in the Gen1 Volt as a whole knowing what I know now, that I bought a second one a year older than it.

So, uh..yes. :)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I think the Gen 1 is probably one of the most overlooked/under valued cars on the market. There are some incredible deals on them and reliability seems to be on par with Toyota for the most part. I've had my '13 for just about a year and a half and have had two minor issues. First was a failed window regulator about 3 weeks after I bought it (GMPP fixed) and recently a heater control valve which again was repaired under GMPP. I did a fair bit of research prior to finding mine and was comfortable with the warranties outside of the B2B to entertain looking for higher mileage cars with even better prices that wouldn't suffer as much depreciation from additional high annual mileage. Right now I have 115K on my '13 (93K when I bought it) and have been very very pleased with everything about the car. As for buying again, the saying "Just take my money" comes to mind.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I loved my 2014 and wanted to purchase it at the end of my lease. The residual was over 20k and the leasing company refused to lower it. Thus I purchased a 2017. On the Gen 2, I truly love the heated steering wheel, the temperature and fan dials, regular gas, and the greater range.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes. I like the styling of the Gen1. It's been super reliable. From the histories I have read, the car was way over designed with cost not being a factor. GM wanted the car out and didn't care they were losing 10K+ on each car. The Gen 2 mission was to cost reduce to make the car profitable and to be able to share components with other cars.

The Gen 1 is a very unique vehicle that only GM would do. It was built to a vision not to a product spec. It paved the way for the new types of batteries being used in all the latest EV's. Hopefully one day it will get it's due as a revolutionary design. I know the Bolt is now the main focus, but once you sit in one and see the Fisher-Price influenced interior you will appreciate the Volt more.

·
Registered
948 Posts
5 years, 81,000 miles on our 2013 Volt, and it still runs like new.

I had to replace the 12-volt battery a couple of months ago. That was $150. Installed it myself. Easy.

We've had 2 oil changes so far, $70 each. That's just following the oil life indicator built into the car. Make sure you use full synthetic.

And we're on our 3rd set of tires, Cooper PureContact with EcoPlus Technology.

That's it. No other maintenance costs. Since the gas engine rarely runs, it doesn't need much maintenance.

With this in mind, I'd say a used Gen1 Volt would be very reliabile.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
If something happened to the Gen 1 I have now, I would have no problem replacing it with another.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I bought the 2013 back in June, and would gladly purchase again - but - there is a learning curve. Buying an EV is stepping into another world of car ownership, and one needs to recognize and adapt to the differences or you won't enjoy the car. I've never owned a perfect car, and the Volt is no exception - but I am very pleased with it.

I had looked at Volts at the auto show, and felt they would ideally suit my driving habits now that I retired and no longer travel for business. Most of my driving is around the metro, seldom exceeding the electric range. I put 5 gallons in when I bought it and even after the cold weather ERDTTs it still shows 130+ mile gas range. I do precondition while garaged - old bones like the warmth! In summer I got as high as 49 miles before the ICE came on, but in this cold wave the range guesstimate is down to 29!

I particularly like the smoothness, quiet, response, and solid feel. Handling is good, but with these tires and a solid rear axle it's no sports car. However, it is apparent that the GM engineers spent some time on this car. I usually drive it in sport mode, L, around town to take advantage of the "one pedal" driving, but use D on the highway to prevent abrupt deceleration when cancelling cruise. I know some prefer to modulate regen via the brake pedal - so each to his own preference. So far it has been OK in snow and ice, but sport is a little touchy in those conditions so I drop back to normal.

I live in a townhouse where it is physically (and financially) impractical to add a separate metered line into my garage to take advantage of power company discounts. Even at the higher base rate I'm still at less than half the cost of gas per mile.

As one poster noted, a clean low mileage used Volt is an excellent value. I was fortunate to get one exactly like I wanted with 27K miles - and a fair price. If you find one, go for it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 2012 (made in August 2011). It is the best car I've ever owned, and my first American car. I'm in my late 40's and have owned Honda, Nissan, and Mazda. If you would have told me back in the 80's that I would someday be proudly driving a Chevy, I would have laughed in your face. When I was a kid, GM cars were the biggest pieces of junk on the road. After being intrigued by the idea of the Volt, I started reading here and was convinced it would be ok. Having driven my Volt now for 2.5 years, I can wholeheartedly say that I would buy another gen 1! It has been flawless. I've had the oil changed twice with a couple of tire rotations, and most recently had the 5 year coolant systems flush. The coolant level sensor flaked out after about a year, but that was covered under the Voltec warranty (situation fixed afterwards with WOT's defeat plug). Volts are so undervalued, it's crazy. I would run, not walk, to buy another one. If I'm lucky, I'll drive this one until the wheels fall off!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 40 Posts