GM Volt Forum banner

If initially offered between 2014-2018, would you highly consider the purchase of the

• Yes.

Votes: 68 69.4%
  • No.

Votes: 30 30.6%

Would you highly consider the purchase of the Chevy "Amp"?

12887 Views 42 Replies 33 Participants Last post by  cmr
If initially offered between 2014-2018, would you highly consider the purchase of the Chevy "Amp"? (aka MPV5 aka "Orlando" next gen Delta platform Voltec SUV, 5-7 passenger)
Link: http://www.plugincars.com/chevy-amp-extended-range-crossover-heads-detroit-auto-show-106568.html

This poll is open to all, not - trying to keep the responses simple Y or N for this initial poll, but please feel free to add more detail about your yes/no situation in the comments.

For Example, here's mine:

"I currently own a '12 Volt and a previous '08 Prius. I would like keep my Volt but trade my Prius for an Amp by 2018 when the Prius is 10 years old and the Volt is paid off - or sooner if I can still take advantage of the tax credit and use that to pay off the remaining balance on the Volt. I feel the Voltec powertrain offers the best combination of EV range, affordability, efficiency, and performance compared to available lackluster hybrid or expensive pure EV offerings."
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
3,209 Posts
Probably only interested only if awd.. even if its just the e4WD being discussed for next gen Prius (EV drive on rear with awd at low speed, few at high speed). My wife feels AWD is an absolute requirement for her car (no arguments about snow-tires vs awd.. its about what she thinks/wants)

· Registered
139 Posts
For me the keys are AWD (in one form or another) and a reasonably high ground clearance - no more driveway scrapers, please! I currently have an older Honda CRV that I want to replace with an equivalent hybrid or EREV, but nobody currently is making one. The Ford C-Max line has replaced the Escape hybrid but doesn't have either of my requirements. If GM would install the Voltec drivetrain in a CRV equivalent, I'd buy one in a minute.

· Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the purposes of this poll, let's assume AWD is AT LEAST and option, and that pricing will be competitive with the RAV4 EV (before tax credit price of $49k for AWD base, $44 for FWD - how much is AWD "worth" as an option???)

Also good ground clearance should a foregone conclusion.

Personally I would like to see the base FWD Amp priced no more than $39k, as the Volts base drops to $34k...pipe dream?

· Registered
611 Posts
Like the other have said, yes if with AWD and some ground clearance. One vehicle in my household needs to be more than just a FWD sedan. I'd even be willing to give up 10 miles of AER if I had to. Oh and it has to be under $45K. Preferably under $40K especially if the tax incentives are gone by then.

· Registered
9,953 Posts
Although the "Orlando" CUV is smaller than the Equinox, I am willing to buy the "Amp" to replace my Equinox. I live in the tropical paradise of Puerto Rico, so I don't need AWD. But I do prefer the Equinox body over the "Orlando" or the Captiva which is another Chevy CUV sold down here. A Traverse body is too big for me, but could be the size others here really need with Voltec technology.

· Registered
1,056 Posts
Now living in Arizona I would not want to pay any extra for additional drive wheel systems. That being said, I lived in Michigan for 20 years and never felt the need for AWD or 4WD. If you think about 365 days, 24 hours how many minutes would you benefit from any extra traction capability? Subtract those minutes from the remainder and how much do you really benefit when balanced against the negatives?

VIN # B0985

· Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do not need a larger vehicle. Consider how you use your vehicle for the majority of trips. 1 Person no cargo? I see a lot of no passenger vehicles on the highways.
Was about to reply to your original post but I see you figured out that the Amp aka MPV5 (or whatever it may be titled) is NO Amperage.

In response to your new post, I *totally* agree with you; even the "spacious" long and wide Volt has been an adjustment for me from my light (but sometimes not so zippy) Toyota Yaris. I wanted a "smaller" but safe EV commuter. I have come to appreciate the Volt's size though.

But many of us have SO's (as I) who will not settle for less that the "SUV
" format. She loves the Prius, but her next vehicle will need to be "more"...

· Registered
1,929 Posts
...But many of us have SO's (as I) who will not settle for less that the "SUV
" format. She loves the Prius, but her next vehicle will need to be "more"...
Funny,my wife would only consider SUVs (drove 3 Suburbans, and now a GMC Acadia). Since April, though, she has been driving my Volt as her commute distance is further than mine. She has come to appreciate the ease of handling and smoothness the Volt has versus the clumsier Acadia, and not having to stop at the gas station. So much so, she wants to get a white diamond Volt of her own. Too bad the Acadia is only two years old, and we still have a once-a-week need for a vehicle that size.

· Registered
1,936 Posts
Highly doubtful. We have no need for more cargo or passenger space than the Model S offers. When the lease on our Volt is up in a couple of years we will see what is available. Probably will be a BEV with less range than the S. Maybe a Spark:)

· Registered
42 Posts
As a DP/camera operator, I need to frequently transport long and heavy camera carts. The AMP would be the perfect vehicle for me. I also remodeled my entire house, so there were frequent trips to the lumberyard that the Volt is not suited for. When I look into my crystal ball, I see my 1998 Chevy Astro (which has 240,000 miles on it) not lasting forever. I hope Chevy moves the AMP from concept to reality a lot faster than it took them with the Volt.

AND IT MUST QUALIFY FOR THE CALIFORNIA HOV STICKER!!!!!

HEY, MARKETING GUYS, ARE YOU LISTENING??

· Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nearly 80% potential buyers!; 2nd poll; send results to GM

Thanks, all. Looks like nearly 80% potential buyers! Higher than I expected. I would like to get more than 45 respondents to this poll - *Mods: any way to make it a "sticky" for a while?* Then do a 2nd more detailed poll "What are critical decision points for purchasing...? (AWD, price, other features, etc) and hopefully present the results to GM.
Best,
Mark

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.