GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I was on my way to buy a 2019 Premier, to replace my 2014. Today I was supposed to go and sign the papers and take it in my possession. With the announce of GM ending the production of Volt by March 2019, I am no longer sure it is a good thing to do. I am torn, because I like my Volt, but knowing that the value of my new replacement car will take a plunge... I would like to ask you guys, in what conditions would you consider buying a new one now, after the announce of GM ?

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
The 2019 is largely unchanged from 2018.
The 7.2kW charger in the Premier is probably the same as in the Bolt.
The new seats will be ones used in other cars.
You're in Montreal, QC, so will continue to have reasonable GM PEV support, since GM will be selling BEVs to meet Quebec's standards.

The key question to me would be how long you're planning to keep it and whether you'd be OK risking it having little value at the end of its life with you.

You'd have direct part support for the warranty period, then there's salvage and then perhaps other.

The key reason for the death of the Volt is that it's a sedan made at a sedan factory.

In China, GM has delayed the Velite 6 due to battery supply issues, but it is planned to have PHEV and BEV versions.
The Velite 6 is a Volt with a new CUV form factor.

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...ina-previews-new-gm-approach-to-electric-cars

Although I personally believe that GM will focus on BEV, this is not _necessarily_ the death of Voltec, so a 2019 Volt might have more years of support than the mandated part supply period suggests.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi ItsNotAboutTheNoney, I thank you a lot for your answer. Before the announce made by GM, I was thinking to keep at least 5 years the new Volt. I am very happy with my 2014, I wouldn’t thought about changing it if the dealer where I bought it didn’t made me an interesting offer. And the 2019 has everything I wanted from the start the Gen 1 would have. The problem is, now, I am facing the possibility that at the end of 5 years, the car worth 0 or close to nothing. If anything happen between now and then, a recal or something else... it is gonna be problematic. There were delays on supplies now, when the Volt was in full production, what will be the delays in the situation of today ? Unfortunately the leasing program here in Quebec is not worthy for Volt. It costs a lot more than buying it.
I thank you a lot for your input and if anyone else has an opinion about this situation, I would gladly take it in consideration.
Yes, I am not a guy who makes up his mind based on a forum, but you guys have been great since the moment I joined this amazing community and very knowledgeable and a second opinion will always count.
Best regards !

·
Registered
16,17 volt
822 Posts
I’d grab while you can. GM will take care of you. Car is suited for candian weather. Might be a wait for a cold weather electric car now

·
Registered
37 Posts
You will probably use it for about 5 years if not less. By then, there are going to be a lot of great options for BEVs. I'm thinking people are really going to miss this car and when it's out of stock, it will be even more desirable. So for me, I would buy it (unless the Bolt can meet your use case). Cheers! :)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I'd go back to the dealer with a profound "I don't like this deal anymore" attitude and either negotiate a lower price or get some extras thrown in. How about a great deal on a 7/100K extended warranty? Like 1/2 off.
The rule I use is if you buy it be prepared to live with it for at least 7 years. Flipping cars every 5 years means you will be wasting some money but on the other hand life isn't all about scrounging the last dime out of every deal.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I'd go back to the dealer with a profound "I don't like this deal anymore" attitude and either negotiate a lower price or get some extras thrown in. How about a great deal on a 7/100K extended warranty? Like 1/2 off.
The rule I use is if you buy it be prepared to live with it for at least 7 years. Flipping cars every 5 years means you will be wasting some money but on the other hand life isn't all about scrounging the last dime out of every deal.
I agree. Get what you can in terms of a deal and buy it. You will be fine for at least 8 years. My brother is still driving my former 2009 Pontiac G8 which was discontinued in 2010. He hasn’t had problems maintaining it.

You should be fine as long as you hold on to it. I too think a volt makes particular sense in a cold climate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
Another option to consider after the planned closure of the Volt factory in the near future is I'll bet you the quality from today onwards will be lower as disgruntled line workers take it out on GM any way they can. Food for thought ... I'd take a Volt already built over one still to be built if you're considering the option down the road.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Another option to consider after the planned closure of the Volt factory in the near future is I'll bet you the quality from today onwards will be lower as disgruntled line workers take it out on GM any way they can. Food for thought ... I'd take a Volt already built over one still to be built if you're considering the option down the road.

I tend to agree with that. Buy an existing new Volt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
We were hoping on a GM SUV with a voltec system. Looks like that won't happen. Will keep our 2016 Volt Premier, and were looking hard at the new Toyota Rav 4 Hybrid AWD with nearly a 40 mpg combined rating and a msrp base price of about 28,000, that will replace our 2010 Prius and become my wife's new ride, and I get the Volt.

My wife insist on getting an AWD especially if we buy a new house away from the city were we will probably need the AWD at times.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Then there's always the chance that the value of a Volt will go up once they're no longer made. It *is* a pretty unique car.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I would honestly be concerned about potential sabotage from disgruntled GM plant workers after this latest debacle. Just when I was thinking GM had it together and was going to get serious about EV's......this latest move is not encouraging.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I only wish we could have waited one more year before having to replace our previous car with our 2018 Volt.

Being in the market for a new Volt today with the enhancements on the 2019, would have been awesome! A 2019 Volt Premier will go down in history as the absolute best Volt ever made!

And the fact that it's about to be discontinued would have made me even more excited about buying a Volt. My dad owned a long list of unusual and discontinued vehicles. Like him, I have never been one to follow the crowd and buy some damn Prius or whatever.

Go for it! I envy you being able to get a 2019. I can't afford to trade my 2018 in on one. Get one already built though, just to be on the safe side.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hi ItsNotAboutTheNoney, I thank you a lot for your answer. Before the announce made by GM, I was thinking to keep at least 5 years the new Volt. I am very happy with my 2014, I wouldn’t thought about changing it if the dealer where I bought it didn’t made me an interesting offer. And the 2019 has everything I wanted from the start the Gen 1 would have. The problem is, now, I am facing the possibility that at the end of 5 years, the car worth 0 or close to nothing. If anything happen between now and then, a recal or something else... it is gonna be problematic. There were delays on supplies now, when the Volt was in full production, what will be the delays in the situation of today ?
What are your concerns with buying now?
Resale value after 5 years?
And the speed at which spare parts are available?

I am not sure there are going to be that many plug in hybrid choices in the future. Seems like they are going more pure battery. So you have to ask yourself if you are really in the market for just plug in hybrids or not?

Lots of talk about GM using common parts with cars like the Malibu and Cruze, so some parts will probably be readily available. Other parts might be a bit of a crap shoot. With the new EV's coming, there will be more EV techs at dealerships, not less, so I am not worried about tech support.

But for now I am keeping mine, and might use it for another 5 years. And might look back longingly on the days when plug in hybrid EV's were even a product choice.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My other car is a 2001 Honda Insight, which Honda ceased production of in 2006. I can still get most parts from Honda and there is a healthy aftermarket for used/salvaged/aftermarket parts. This for a car which sold very poorly. It’s been a non-issue.

Similarly, around the 1998 time frame I owned a 1986 Merkur XR4TI. This car also sold poorly, was discontinued in 1989. I had no issues getting parts or support. Eventually it rusted beyond economical repair and I parted it out. There is a guy a few blocks away from me still driving one.

Point is that I think it’s basically not a big issue. Most automakers will fully support an “orphan” vehicle up to about 10 years, and then you notice that some parts become NLA (no longer available). But usually those parts can still be obtained aftermarket or used. The internet marketplace is a wonderful thing. So up to around 15 years (the normal lifespan of a car) you don’t even notice it.

It’s really not any different from when, say, Honda comes out with a “new redesigned” Accord. Parts commonality with the old model is very very low, effectively the old car is discontinued, but people don’t freak out about support. GM isn’t going away, they will still have dealerships and parts inventory.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guys, thank you for all your messages ! I finally decided to go for a Bolt EV. Yes, it is the only car in the household, but... the range BoltEV has is enough for my needs. Thank you all again for your kind words and you are all an amazing community !

·
Registered
897 Posts
Guys, thank you for all your messages ! I finally decided to go for a Bolt EV. Yes, it is the only car in the household, but... the range BoltEV has is enough for my needs. Thank you all again for your kind words and you are all an amazing community !
Congratulations!

The Bolt EV is a great car! We would have one in addition to our Volt if we could afford it.

You will have great support next door on the Bolt EV forum.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 45 Posts