GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The answer might be a big "yes", via a smartphone accessible rental agency like Zipcar.

"For decades, inventory management was largely the province of companies, not individuals, and continual efforts to reduce inventory—the stock of things just sitting around—helped companies improve their bottom line. But today, peer-to-peer software and mobile technology allow us all to have access, just when we need it, to the things we used to have to buy and hold. And the most powerful application is for cars."

I found this article very interesting. Cars are just the latest aspect of a growing trend for Millennials to rent as needed rather than owning. Think music, movie's, books. One point of the article is that an iPhone may be more status symbol than a car to this generation. And it's a also a tool that enables very easy rent on demand, including cars.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/09/the-cheapest-generation/309060/?single_page=true

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Cars are expensive.
Mobility used to be necessary to allow people to socialize.
The Internet allows people to socialize without mobility.
The Internet allows people to do lots of other things, useful and cool.
Young people are increasingly in a worse financial position.
Young people are more aware of environmental and global issues.

Guess what happens next?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd rather own a Volt, but I would really, really, love to be able to rent a Volt whenever I visit someplace new by plane. Maybe if there were some discounts offered to entice rental fleets to start using Volts... IDK... just throwing ideas out there. But I'd love the option of renting a Volt.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I was in Philadelphia last night. And I used to be a cyclist in the 80s.

I have never seen so many bicycles in this city as I do now. It's probably Temple University students back in session, but what a day for bicyclists. I guess you have to throw in that it was the annual "naked ride" in philadelphia where hundreds of cyclists, well, you know. A lot more young people seem to be cutting way down on expenses and biking or ride sharing, etc. It's going to be tough for them long-term and it looks like they are getting ready for it now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts