GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a... could a.. lithium ion battery have enough amps at 12 volts to be used for cranking a car engine?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm not sure how these are rated but a 12V battery for example a 99 STS has:

O.E. group size: 79 *** 880 cold cranking Amps (1000 cranking Amps) *** -> 3 year free replacement <- Battery is vented to outside of vehicle, labor intensive installation, 30 minute installation, located under rear seat

Here's some electric car type, lithium ion batteries in three different sizes. You would need a set of 4 to get 12V and a lot of $$$$$.

-----

The 50 Amp/Hr Batteries have a C3 Continuous Rating of 150 Amps and a Peak of up to C11 or 500 amps.

http://www.beepscom.com/product_p/ba-lb-50-3.2.htm

------

The 100 Amp/Hr Batteries have a C3 Continuous Rating of 300 Amps and a Peak of up to C11 or 1100 amps.

http://www.beepscom.com/product_p/ba-lb-100-3.2.htm

-----

The 200 Amp/Hr Batteries have a C3 Continuous Rating of 600 Amps.

http://www.beepscom.com/product_p/ba-lb-200-3.2.htm

·
Registered
67 Posts
Lithium cost

The 100 Amp/Hr Batteries have a C3 Continuous Rating of 300 Amps and a Peak of up to C11 or 1100 amps.

So for 100 of these 100 amp batts it would cost $24,800
That would equate to 360v @ 100 amp hours.

How many miles would the volt go with this setup

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have a feeling the Volt will come with a standard starter battery. You don't want the genset to have to rely on the power source it's supposed to replace/supplement.

@Jeremy:

36kWh = 100+ miles keeping the batteries between 30% to 80% SOC.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think it would be a problem to use the lithium ion batteries to crank the ice.

But I am actually asking about something totally seperate from the Volt. I was actually exploring the possibility of using a smaller lighter weight li ion battery on my boat.

Advantages are lighter weight, I think it would be more reliable???, and for people that use the trolling motor extensively the ability to have more amp hours.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Did you look at AGM already? Firefly will be there soon, but maybe not soon enough for you.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The firefly battery seems to be something like I was looking for. Vibration and pounding form waves and potholes cause plates in lead acid batterys to break. I can't count the number of 12 volt batteries that end up being 9 or 6 volt batteries when individual cells fail.

Still li ion is available and might also serve the purpose if they provide enough instant amps in a small format battery to crank my Honda 4 stroke outboard.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a feeling the Volt will come with a standard starter battery. You don't want the genset to have to rely on the power source it's supposed to replace/supplement.
I would hope the ICE would use its generator (in reverse) as its starter. You're right that if the main battery goes dead, then it wouldn't start the ICE. But if the on-board computer is not going to let the battery discharge beyond 30%, then it would take quite a while for the battery to go dead via self-discharge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts