GM Volt Forum banner

521 - 540 of 580 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
anyone have this issues with 2015? I see alot of people in 12-13 with this issue.
I have a 2015 and installed the defeat plug. Didn't have any issues, just wanted to prevent any. But it doesn't seem to be much of a problem with 2014-2015 Volts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!

Somebody knows if earesearch SHVCS Defeat Plug is currently available?

In canbustools.com is available, but I send message to her paypal account info[a]eastmanresearch.com and have no response.

Last activity of this user in forum is May 2018...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
For anyone that's interested, I'm posting my DIY guide here to making a replacement for the coolant level sensor. I'm not trying to take away from WOT's work but it appears that he has what I can only assume is a higher priority issue in his life.
Copied Keith with his idea of windshield washer pump. Just know that I found 3 different types of pump at the scrap yard.

Gutted pump and cut the rims. Soldered 3 resistors (10k+10k+4.7k ohms) wrapped in heatshrink.

Filled (potted) the windshield washer pump body with hot glue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Luis

Yes, we still have them available for sale and keep the delphi PA66 male/female 2-pin connectors in stock. To date in the last 15 months we have shipped about 100 units with customer success. So far we have had one unit reported failed on installation recently from a customer where they got a code, but I don't have it back in hand and have not heard back from the customer since I gave him instructions to test the resistance. I don't know if it's a unit issue bent pin, failed resistor or something else. We crimp each pin with a delphi crimp tool, secure the wire seals to prevent any corrosion or issues over time, and then add solder to the crimp/resistor lead so each pin is secure and nothing comes loose over time. This is a low quantity unit being sold but we are happy to stay busy and meet the needs of the volt community here by producing these. So far our failure rate is below 1% to date.

Update: 12/17/2018- I was able to get the unit back from the customer. It tested out fine. It appears the customer had left the charging cable connected while he disconnected the main battery during the install of the defeat plug, thus causing the code issue. So the charging cable must be keeping the ECU alive to monitor the other circuits based on this information.

Sincerely,

Brock

·
Registered
962 Posts
I read part of this very long thread, sorry of this was already addressed, just don't have time to read the whole thing.
But concerning the draconian response of the Volt's computers to a low battery coolant signal, I would suggest that GM was probably hemmed in very tightly by some legal contract with LG Chem as to how batteries were protected. My guess is when things seem hinkey like this, lawyers were probably involved.

·
Administrator
19,987 Posts
I read part of this very long thread, sorry of this was already addressed, just don't have time to read the whole thing.
But concerning the draconian response of the Volt's computers to a low battery coolant signal, I would suggest that GM was probably hemmed in very tightly by some legal contract with LG Chem as to how batteries were protected. My guess is when things seem hinkey like this, lawyers were probably involved.
Nope, as I replied in the other thread where you posted this, it was Republican politicians who were the cause of the sensor being added.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Nope, as I replied in the other thread where you posted this, it was Republican politicians who were the cause of the sensor being added.
Holy crap, one could go on about a single angle of attack sensor failing and a certain republican friendly outfit that essentially was allowed to regulate itself, yet its hell fire and brimestone over a jolly little electric car that happens to catch fire a week after a test wreckage. Is this the great America that its resorted to be?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Is it possible to legally obligate GM to give up the firmwares & reflash parameters required for end user flashing of these modules upon warranty expiration?

This would be required for repair and maintenance of the vehicle long after GM laughs at you, or more importantly the required documented parameters to simply flash to disable the checking of this sensor or prevent it from throwing the isolation fault. Once more warranties expire we shall see what exactly is possible, if there are any bootloader exploits to bypass signing, etc.

·
Registered
349 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Is this bypass sensor plug and play? on the link pictures I see a harness that I assume is spliced into the existing one. I emailed the vendor but he hasn't posted since December 18.
Yes it is plug and play. there are steps, like disconnect the battery, disconnect the old sensor, etc. But it does just plug into the existing harness.

Note: if you already have the error message, then it will not make it go away. The dealer will have to reset it. Then you can install the defeat device.

·
Administrator
19,987 Posts
Is this bypass sensor plug and play? on the link pictures I see a harness that I assume is spliced into the existing one. I emailed the vendor but he hasn't posted since December 18.
Which "vendor"? There was WOT originally, but he ghosted away. There are one or two others who posted in this thread as well who said they could make the device as a side business.

·
1,027 Posts
Is it possible to legally obligate GM to give up the firmwares & reflash parameters required for end user flashing of these modules upon warranty expiration?

This would be required for repair and maintenance of the vehicle long after GM laughs at you, or more importantly the required documented parameters to simply flash to disable the checking of this sensor or prevent it from throwing the isolation fault. Once more warranties expire we shall see what exactly is possible, if there are any bootloader exploits to bypass signing, etc.
You can buy single vin access here

https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions

and reflash it yourself. However the count is total modules, and also flashes. you have to call and have them reset the count if you flash too many times, it'll lock you out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Shouldn't this issue (sensor, reset of computer) be covered under VOLTEC? I have a CARB state VOLTEC Warranty with 30k+ miles left on it and dealer is giving me issues.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry if this has been rehashed already, I promise I read through 5-6 pages at the front end and 4-5 pages at the back end of this thread. I rec'd a letter from GM yesterday that my '14 needs the sw update to increase the warning time before it goes into limp mode (HPCM2 issue). From what I've gathered it's mostly '13's impacted (my '14 was bought in Dec '13). I don't have time or desire to mess with buying and installing the inline harness bypass and messing w/ the fw update on the ACDelco site. Should I have the dealer perform this work? I haven't seen a lot about people getting these letters in the last few weeks and how it's related to this thread or not. Thanks for any advice, all you guys are so much more knowledgeable about this car than me!

Edit: If it helps, the number at the bottom of my letter (simply dated "June 2019") is: N172130462 (18217)

·
1,027 Posts
Shouldn't this issue (sensor, reset of computer) be covered under VOLTEC? I have a CARB state VOLTEC Warranty with 30k+ miles left on it and dealer is giving me issues.
Yes it is covered and there is also a specific campaign to cover it. PI0961A

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2013/SB-10052204-6977.pdf

but this is a dealer and GM so you can go bang your head against a wall until they actually acknowledge it.

My suggestion is when they decline to cover it, or any other reasonable component/problem under voltec to send a warranty defect notice to the address for lemon law in your owners manual and go from there. If they won't cover it, let them buy you a new car.

521 - 540 of 580 Posts