GM Volt Forum banner
381 - 400 of 662 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dan, did you get permission/blessings from WOT to place what amounts to an advertisement for your (competing??) product right in his own thread? If not, it is in extremely poor taste.

EDIT: TO be honest, I have not kept up with this thread, so don't take my intention the wrong way. Has WOT been incommunicado or something? Very unusual for him.
WOT hasn't answered my repeated emails, so I am unable to speak with him. However, I didn't think my post about selling my version of his sensor was any different in scope than earesearch's post about Brock selling his version of WOT's sensor.

·
Registered
522 Posts
WOT hasn't answered my repeated emails, so I am unable to speak with him. However, I didn't think my post about selling my version of his sensor was any different in scope than earesearch's post about Brock selling his version of WOT's sensor.
Dan, I hadn't read the last few pages of this thread yet when I posted that and lacked the context of your offering them here, so please disregard my post. I get it now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dan, I hadn't read the last few pages of this thread yet when I posted that and lacked the context of your offering them here, so please disregard my post. I get it now.
Ok, Thanks! No Problem :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Also, for anyone with an outstanding order, I can appreciate the frustration, but I wanted to offer that I highly doubt your money is (forever) lost. I truly believe WOT is for too honorable to do something so petty. I am 100% confident that something of significant import (fingers crossed, but I fear an outright crisis) has come up in his life which is precluding his ability to address the sensor production in a timely manner. Whenever he surfaces again, I am sure it will come with a perfectly understandable explanation and full restitution for anyone affected. Have a heart; your patience will pay off.
Last time he disappeared for almost a month because he was on vacation. Hardly a perfectly understandable explanation for a complete lack of communication. One post about how he was months behind in shipping orders, and then poof, gone again. I understand how important he was to this forum and to this workaround. We all obviously hope for the best, but enough with people defending him for now. He isn't responding here, he isn't responding to email, whoever owns the PayPal address he had the money sent to is not responding either. Telling people who have already waited months to be patient isn't helpful. Making empty assurances isn't helpful. Others graciously stepping in to help the community is helpful.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just a quick update. I found some 1/4 watt 26.7 mil spec .1 percent resistors. These cost about 10x a normal 3-5% tolerance resistor.

In most industry with the exception of maybe aerospace even a 1% resistor is a good solution. These will hopefully show up on Monday/Tuesday and I can ship out the first 5 samples to those here who have asked for them late next week. I am confident this will do the job.

In terms of the WOT situation, I think this was always a hobby for him, not part of a legitimate business. About a month and a half ago he was considering letting me build them for him and I was going to just provide him a royalty per unit. He said he would consider it and speak with his family about it as it sounded like his son was already a too busy to really take it on as he is a dealership technician and they had not shipped product for 6-8 weeks. That was on August 9th. He never got back to me on it.

I really hope nothing serious has happened with his family for him to drop off the face of the earth like this. I am happy to contribute here with this product if the samples I ship out work well. I don't want any part of any drama and am happy to provide something that is needed. I run a legitimate business where I work 7 days a week. I rarely take a vacation. Adding this product onto my existing work isn't a big deal and I already ship product 6 days week. I am going to make sure that every product sample I build will be tested, and I think the quality and attention to detail, will be of similar to better quality to what WOT had been offering. I will be accepting pre-orders and hope to have product shipping by October 10th. If anyone would like to order, please send $40.00 to [email protected] over paypal. Shipping is included and will be 3-4 days in the US. For Canada orders, add $10.00 to the shipping cost. I don't have a price estimate for European shipping yet, but will get this figured out in the next few weeks.

The product will include both female and a male plug, as well as velcro straps (qty 2) and a 3 page instruction manual. The addition of the female connector may be a benefit for those 2011-2012 owners who had the coolant sensor done as an add-on where the dealership did a poor splice job if the connection is flaky from the butt-connectors used by the dealership. The added female plug can just be inserted into the standard coolant sensor to prevent any corrosion from occuring since those pins would be exposed to the elements.

I've tried to think of everything here that would more or less complete the product.

I'll update here when the first samples are shipped.

Sincerely,

Brock
Eastman Research LLC

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks for the updates and your time, effort and patience.
Please calculate postage for residential Melbourne, Australia, at your convenience. I have reduced income for a while due to my health, so when I can collect some beans I'll compress them into American beans and propel them via Paypal.
So no hurry for me.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Our Volt went to our local dealer this morning to get our repeating SHVCS issue looked at.

Sure enough, coolant level sensor. New sensor arriving tomorrow, covered under the Voltec warranty.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Update:

I just got back into town on Friday and built the first volt coolant defeat device today.

I am going to see if I can attach pictures here.

I used shrink tubing over the resistor. The resistor used is a military grade .1% spec rated for .25 watts.

I purchased some samples of non-genuine delphi connectors, and they were garbage. I also purchased genuine delphi connectors and they work beautifully. The factory delphi wire seals are used on both male/female connectors. The www.canbustools.com website has added pictures. I will be shipping out the first 5 samples this week, hopefully on monday. So these will be genuine delphi connectors shipping which are about 2-3x the cost of other ones I had planned.

The kit includes genuine delphi connectors (PA66) rated with wire seals, and are soldered in each joint to ensure a good contact before inserting the pins into the connector housing. 2 sets of velcro straps are included, and a plug to cover the original coolant connector on the reservoir is included so you don't get corrosion in that housing by leaving it exposed to the elements. The kit might be a bit overkill... I will be offering these for sale here on the website. I am currently only setup to ship to the US and Canada, but will figure out the other destinations sometime this month. Cost for US is $40.00 and this includes shipping on the website.

I am attaching pictures of the finished product.

Sincerely,

Brock
Eastman Research LLC

·
Registered
667 Posts
Looks very professional. I like the idea of having the blank to fit in place of the original plug on the old sensor to keep it pristine - a great idea that makes "undoing" the mod (for warranty purposes or whatnot) after the fact non-detectable. ;)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Is that sensor defeat just a resistor? If so, I might be able to 3D print a connector with ABS plastic and put a resistor in it. That is, if enough people are interested. Seems like this problem might not be an issue on gen-2 cars.

Mike

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Is that sensor defeat just a resistor? If so, I might be able to 3D print a connector with ABS plastic and put a resistor in it. That is, if enough people are interested. Seems like this problem might not be an issue on gen-2 cars.

Mike
No it isn't , the thermal sensor is intact with an additional resistor added to skew its value

·
Registered
571 Posts
No it isn't , the thermal sensor is intact with an additional resistor added to skew its value
"thermal sensor"? I thought the original circuit was 2 resistors in series with a reed relay switch in parallel with one of them. No thermal sensor that I can see. The 'defeat device' is just a single resistor equal to the two original ones in series. I removed the original sensor (that has the two resistors and the reed relay) and keep it in the house in case I need to reinstall it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just an FYI -

The first free samples of product are packaged and ready to ship. Additional to this a few others have also ordered through the website and those are also being shipped tomorrow AM.

I'm looking forward to feedback. Thank you to those here on the forum who have been helpful and supportive to get this going.

Sincerely,

Brock
Eastman Research LLC
www.eastmanresearch.com

·
Registered
58 Posts
Brock, I placed an order the other day after reading this. I put in a paypal dispute on WOT since no one can reach him. I do hope he is ok wherever he is.

Thanks for your hard work and research and stepping up to take care of the Volt Club!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Brock, I placed an order the other day after reading this. I put in a paypal dispute on WOT since no one can reach him. I do hope he is ok wherever he is.

Thanks for your hard work and research and stepping up to take care of the Volt Club!
I just received my money back through PayPal ... so at least he did not run away with all the money. I truly hope everything is OK with him.

That being said - I would like to order one of these new sensors. Any more available?

·
Registered
19 Posts
lexcyn

They are available at www.canbustools.com. Price is $40.00 + $10.00 shipping if to Canada. If in the US, shipping is free. The first few were just installed this past week without issues. They include both the male end (with defeat resistor) and female plug to cap the reservoir to prevent any corrosion on the battery coolant connector, the female plug can also be used to repair a poor splice job from the dealerships on the 2011-2012 models. I have about 8 more units right now available before I place an order for parts to do about 100 units.

You can do paypal also through the website ordering process also if you prefer that over credit card.

Brock
Eastman Research LLC

·
Registered
50 Posts
lexcyn

They are available at www.canbustools.com. Price is $40.00 + $10.00 shipping if to Canada. If in the US, shipping is free. The first few were just installed this past week without issues. They include both the male end (with defeat resistor) and female plug to cap the reservoir to prevent any corrosion on the battery coolant connector, the female plug can also be used to repair a poor splice job from the dealerships on the 2011-2012 models. I have about 8 more units right now available before I place an order for parts to do about 100 units.

You can do paypal also through the website ordering process also if you prefer that over credit card.

Brock
Eastman Research LLC
Thanks, I will definitely be putting in an order.

[Edit]: Order placed!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just received my money back through PayPal ... so at least he did not run away with all the money. I truly hope everything is OK with him.

That being said - I would like to order one of these new sensors. Any more available?
Paypal will not refund me due to the time its been. And with no contact from him. I am out the money.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would give paypal a phone call about the situation. Since many people are likely requesting refunds from the orders not made good since June/July, they might refund you if there are funds remaining in the account. Paypal normally sides with the purchaser, not the seller in these kinds of situations. It might be worth a phone call. 1 (888) 221-1161 (PAYPAL)

381 - 400 of 662 Posts