GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
...Feel free to post any questions/comments in this thread...
Are there any data that suggests that these failures correlate with mileage, time, weather, road surface, etc? Are there any data suggesting that once a unit has been in service for a while it is more or less likely to fail? Do the failure rates tend to follow a bathtub curve, j-curve, etc?

Thanks in advance.

KNS

Edit: Is there a warranty on the part?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
...AFAIK GM has not been analyzing these failures whatsoever... WOT
WOT, thanks for the quick response to my earlier questions.
Do you know if there is a higher quality or alternative fluid level sensor that might be available from a dealer, NAPA, etc?
Does the defeat device come with any sort of warranty? What tools are needed to install it?

Thanks in advance.

KNS

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Money sent! My 2011 hasn't had this issue yet, and now it never will! Thanks for getting this done, WOT!
I guess you didn't read post #13 in this thread...

...About the only cars that this bypass plug won't work with are 2011s (and a few early 2012s) that may not have had the battery structural enhancement (side impact) campaign #11342 completed. THEY DONT HAVE A COOLANT LEVEL SENSOR OR THESE DTCS! ;)
WOT
KNS

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
So how is the Gen II different?
From the first post in this thread, "Currently it will work on ALL Gen1 Volts, Amperas, and ELRs. *NOTE*The Gen2 Volt is a bit different as the sensor is now part of the reservoir (potentially making the repair even MORE expensive) However we have yet to experience anyone with a Gen2 getting the SHVCS message yet, so perhaps the Gen2 will never have the issues the Gen1 cars are plagued with."

KNS

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Out of curiosity (sorry if I've missed it and this has been asked and answered), how does the sensor work if there is no contact with anything. Is it capacitive?...
WOT explained in earlier posts that the sensor resistance output is based on how it detects the level of the float in the tank thru a magnet I believe...
I am probably wrong but my recollection is that it emulates the proper behavior of the actual sensor when the fluid level is correct and does not actually measure the fluid level, and that is why WOT has reminded us all to regularly check the fluid level after installing the 'sensor'.

KNS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts