GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Volt LT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Review of Lindsay Chevrolet Woodbridge, Virginia.
Friendly salespeople, staff, and finance people, but highly deceptive sales practice from start to finish. I am an out-of-state buyer and was very clear about this. I spent multiple days discussing everything around the CPO used vehicle I wanted. I also had pre-approved financing through BoA, and the salesperson and I agreed on a price prior to our arrival. Small issues started to pop up during our conversations via phone, email, and text. The First Red flag is sales staff use a personal GMAIL account for documents and communication and not a dealer email address. When I questioned this, the salesperson said, "That's Normal, don't worry about it." No, it's not normal. Now, I find out; this takes liability away from the dealer as things can be deleted, lost, changed, or compromised. Personal Gmail is not secure and easily hackable. This is also not how secure documents should be handled. I find this unprofessional of any company.
Upon arrival, we got the welcome greeting and looked at the car. Everything seemed fine, but the car had to be cleaned and detailed. It was also missing a key component for an electric vehicle: the charge cord. They said they were looking for it. I was surprised the car was not ready to go, as I specifically asked to have all paperwork ready and have the car ready as I was an out-of-state buyer, drove 6+ hours, and asked for all of this to be prepared well in advance. When we sat down, the salesperson had to re-do all of the paperwork. All of the sales tactics, pressure, "let me check with the manager," "let me get the finance person," started to begin. Any movie, bad impression, belief in a deceptive, sneaky, underhanded dealer story that you have heard of or read about sums up Lindsay Chevrolet as the stereotypical sleazy car dealer textbook case. Multiple times the salesperson said, "Let me check with my manager," this was supposed to be a done deal, I had financing approved and sent to them, and we agreed upon a price prior to arrival! We had agreed on a price, down payment, and financing was already in the finance department's hands prior to my travel to the dealer!
As we approached the end of this well over 2.5-hour ordeal, they printed out paperwork, and the sales amount was incorrect. They had to go through the entire thing again! Even now, when I review the sales paperwork, I can't make the numbers match what was agreed upon. Then the GSM did his talks, and then the finance lady had to give her general overview (but not ready for the actual finance paperwork and signing), then they made us fill out a credit application when we already have the loan through. BoA, not through them! They said we had to it's their policy. Finally, after all the back and forth (mind you we already agreed on a price, approved loan through BOA, before our 6+-hour drive, and it's now over 2.5 hours), we finally sit down with the finance lady, and she shows us our finance paperwork, and they have financed it through themselves at a higher rate. If I hadn't caught it, I would have had a 2% higher rate! She tried to rush this so fast. I wonder how many people wouldn't have caught this bait and switch? Additionally, all of the deceptive fees, taxes, agreements showed up. "Blazer Package $2,400-I think this is their dealer prep fees on top of everything else? Not sure, I tried to inquire, and both the salesperson and manager walked around the issue for 10 minutes. It is now 9:30 p.m., over 2.5 hours and a 6+-hour drive; I couldn't take it and signed what I thought was right. Then, when they handed me the keys, they lost the floor mats and the charging cable! They said, "We are really sorry, but it's a Saturday night, and there is nothing we can do." I demanded they order and send me a charging cable, and when I asked for it in writing, twice. What else am I supposed to do? I am out of state. It's now 9:30 p.m., I have to go find a hotel now, and we are the last ones in the place! My wife tries to drive her car home, and some kind of oil or armor all is all over the windshield makes it where no one could see out of the window in the rain. They had to rewash the windows inside and out several times before it was drivable.
Lindsay Chevrolet has deceptive sales practices, hidden fees, sales to sales manager pressure tactics, hidden and unexplained fees, additional unexplained charges, bait and switch financing, and ridiculous surcharges. I wish I would have stopped and canceled and walked out. I am disgusted with myself for not stopping, but the pressure and time there, you just want the car you had your heart set on – but later realize you paid an additional $. I would never recommend this dealer with their deceptive "Blazer Fee," practice of personal Gmail accounts, and the "Let me go talk to my manager," and sleazy tactics. With places like Carmax and Carvana or any dealership that is upfront about prices (as buying a car should be), I encourage you to run fast and far from Lindsay to them. At least you know what you're getting, and it is all upfront.

·
Registered
2018 Chevy Volt Premier
45 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your terrible ordeal with that dealer. Here in Richmond, VA, used Volts are scarce, so we found a used CPO certified '18 Volt Premier at a dealer in Pasadena, CA in January. Thankfully, our experience was much better, and the dealer worked out the sale smoothly. I don't know what we would have done if we had an experience like yours with a dealer so far away. My only complaint was that the F&I people sent the title and sales tax to the wrong state, and it took 6 weeks to get it straightened out. We had the Volt shipped to us (cost $700) and didn't need to travel out of state. I thought we paid top dollar for the car, but with the used car price boom, we made out pretty well.

With all you've been through, I hope your Volt serves you well,

·
Registered
2018 Volt LT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry to hear about your terrible ordeal with that dealer. Here in Richmond, VA, used Volts are scarce, so we found a used CPO certified '18 Volt Premier at a dealer in Pasadena, CA in January. Thankfully, our experience was much better, and the dealer worked out the sale smoothly. I don't know what we would have done if we had an experience like yours with a dealer so far away. My only complaint was that the F&I people sent the title and sales tax to the wrong state, and it took 6 weeks to get it straightened out. We had the Volt shipped to us (cost $700) and didn't need to travel out of state. I thought we paid top dollar for the car, but with the used car price boom, we made out pretty well.

With all you've been through, I hope your Volt serves you well,
Thanks. I just purchased my car out of state (the Volt is my wife) and had a great experience, straight talk, straight price, easy close, easy ship. This was horrible. I really wish I would have walked away and never gave them my business but you get so invested and we traveled for this.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
This is why I’m glad I went with CarMax. After several days of searching their site, I found a new arrival that was perfect for me. But it was 500 miles away! So I put a hold on it, called them, and they said I could transfer it over to my local CarMax for $199, which I did. A few days later it arrived, I took a test drive and loved it. No haggling over price, no hidden fees, no pressure. Brought them a check from my credit union, signed the papers and drove it home. Got exactly what I wanted with no hassle!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Friendly salespeople, staff, and finance people, but highly deceptive sales practice from start to finish. I am an out-of-state buyer and was very clear about this. I spent multiple days discussing everything around the CPO used vehicle I wanted. I also had pre-approved financing through BoA, and the salesperson and I agreed on a price prior to our arrival. Small issues started to pop up during our conversations via phone, email, and text. The First Red flag is sales staff use a personal GMAIL account for documents and communication and not a dealer email address. When I questioned this, the salesperson said, "That's Normal, don't worry about it." No, it's not normal. Now, I find out; this takes liability away from the dealer as things can be deleted, lost, changed, or compromised. Personal Gmail is not secure and easily hackable. This is also not how secure documents should be handled. I find this unprofessional of any company.
You should have abandoned the process as soon as you realized there was a gmail address involved. All dealerships have corporate email now.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Right there with you. Sadly, your experience was similar to ours with AutoNation Chevrolet West Austin. We came in from out of town, got the run around, price previously agreed upon was changed, caught them trying to add in extra fees and charges, walked out to dirty vehicle with missing/broken parts, no charge, no fuel, and being stuck at the dealership for over six hours until well after closing and being forced to either get a hotel or drive all night to get home. Like you, we said never again. I absolutely despise the dealership model but there isn't really another option when you want a GM vehicle.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issue, I was just at that dealer last week getting a software update done and wheel speed sensor replaced (got the "Service Stabilitrak" message and knew the cause, based on posts here) and all went fine.

You may also want to post about your experiences on Yelp.com and dealerrater.com so other prospective customers can see what may await them.

·
Registered
2018 LT
3 Posts
Upon arrival, we got the welcome greeting and looked at the car. Everything seemed fine, but the car had to be cleaned and detailed. It was also missing a key component for an electric vehicle: the charge cord. They said they were looking for it. I was surprised the car was not ready to go, as I specifically asked to have all paperwork ready and have the car ready as I was an out-of-state buyer, drove 6+ hours, and asked for all of this to be prepared well in advance. When we sat down, the salesperson had to re-do all of the paperwork. All of the sales tactics, pressure, "let me check with the manager," "let me get the finance person," started to begin. Any movie, bad impression, belief in a deceptive, sneaky, underhanded dealer story that you have heard of or read about sums up Lindsay Chevrolet as the stereotypical sleazy car dealer textbook case. Multiple times the salesperson said, "Let me check with my manager," this was supposed to be a done deal, I had financing approved and sent to them, and we agreed upon a price prior to arrival! We had agreed on a price, down payment, and financing was already in the finance department's hands prior to my travel to the dealer!
As we approached the end of this well over 2.5-hour ordeal, they printed out paperwork, and the sales amount was incorrect. They had to go through the entire thing again! Even now, when I review the sales paperwork, I can't make the numbers match what was agreed upon. Then the GSM did his talks, and then the finance lady had to give her general overview (but not ready for the actual finance paperwork and signing), then they made us fill out a credit application when we already have the loan through. BoA, not through them! They said we had to it's their policy. Finally, after all the back and forth (mind you we already agreed on a price, approved loan through BOA, before our 6+-hour drive, and it's now over 2.5 hours), we finally sit down with the finance lady, and she shows us our finance paperwork, and they have financed it through themselves at a higher rate. If I hadn't caught it, I would have had a 2% higher rate! She tried to rush this so fast. I wonder how many people wouldn't have caught this bait and switch? Additionally, all of the deceptive fees, taxes, agreements showed up. "Blazer Package $2,400-I think this is their dealer prep fees on top of everything else? Not sure, I tried to inquire, and both the salesperson and manager walked around the issue for 10 minutes. It is now 9:30 p.m., over 2.5 hours and a 6+-hour drive; I couldn't take it and signed what I thought was right. Then, when they handed me the keys, they lost the floor mats and the charging cable! They said, "We are really sorry, but it's a Saturday night, and there is nothing we can do." I demanded they order and send me a charging cable, and when I asked for it in writing, twice. What else am I supposed to do? I am out of state. It's now 9:30 p.m., I have to go find a hotel now, and we are the last ones in the place! My wife tries to drive her car home, and some kind of oil or armor all is all over the windshield makes it where no one could see out of the window in the rain. They had to rewash the windows inside and out several times before it was drivable.
Lindsay Chevrolet has deceptive sales practices, hidden fees, sales to sales manager pressure tactics, hidden and unexplained fees, additional unexplained charges, bait and switch financing, and ridiculous surcharges. I wish I would have stopped and canceled and walked out. I am disgusted with myself for not stopping, but the pressure and time there, you just want the car you had your heart set on – but later realize you paid an additional $. I would never recommend this dealer with their deceptive "Blazer Fee," practice of personal Gmail accounts, and the "Let me go talk to my manager," and sleazy tactics. With places like Carmax and Carvana or any dealership that is upfront about prices (as buying a car should be), I encourage you to run fast and far from Lindsay to them. At least you know what you're getting, and it is all upfront.
We had the same experience with this dealership in April 2021. Our purchase was a 2018 Volt coming off lease. Huge hidden costs, they would not discuss financing until after we signed the order. They would not acknowledge or repair the Shift to Park recall issue. We bought the car as it only had $10k miles on it. Our local dealer, Priority Chevy, fixed the issue immediately at no charge.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a similar experience in Raleigh NC with a company called Auction Direct (similar to Carmax). I found a 2018 Volt I liked online and contacted them about a true out the door price, no trade-in, no financing. It had been on Cargurus.com for over 3 weeks. I was given a number that was acceptable to me so I told them I would like to come in and test drive it, and if everything was in order I would buy it and drive it home...I would have a cashiers check made to however they wanted and pay for it outright. Sounds pretty simple, I thought.
I also told the rep that since the electric capabilities was the reason that I was interested in that car, that I wanted it to be charged when I arrived so I could use the electric drive as well as the gasoline drive on the test drive. I was assured that indeed they would charge it for me, but that the car wasn't ready for a test drive because they had "just received it" and it needed an inspection and to be cleaned. They said I could put down a $300 deposit to ensure it wouldn't be sold to anyone else and to lock in that price. I asked how they could have it advertised for over 3 weeks but hadn't done their inspection or have it ready to be viewed. I didn't really get an answer, but was again asked for the $300 deposit. I told them I wasn't interested in a deposit, that I am ready to come purchase it just as fast as they could get it ready so whay would they be able to sell it to anyone else and that I would take my chances, thinking it might be a couple of days. I never heard from them again, and I looked back at the online ad and the price had been raised by $1500. I pretty much dropped the idea of buying from them right then,
I figured out that the $300 deposit is what gets the ball rolling, that they don't even clean or inspect a car until someone pays that deposit. So they thought they had a sucker on the hook and jacked up the price thinking I would pay it.
Fortunately, 3-4 weeks later, I found a 2019 in Fl with only 8k miles on it for $500 less than their jacked up price...from an owner so no fees, no nothing. We took a one way rental down there and drove it home the next day. It was perfect, no scratches, had been kept under a covered carport, the guy had it detailed and waxed, the works.
Never be afraid to walk away, there will always another deal in the future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts