GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Afternoon EVolt3163,

If you could PM me as well with the last 8 of your VIN and the best way for you to be reached I will have your Advisor contact you too.

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service
Ian, I'm bringing in my volt on Monday for this exact issue and the Bluetooth static issue. Did anyone find/resolve OPs issue and document so I can mention to my service rep?

Thanks

Ang

3,608 Posts
Ian, I'm bringing in my volt on Monday for this exact issue and the Bluetooth static issue. Did anyone find/resolve OPs issue and document so I can mention to my service rep?

Thanks

Ang
Afternoon Angelog,

I have replied to your PM!

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
When I drove a 2011 Volt, I noticed a whining noise that sounded electrical to me. Possibly the frequency generated by the inverter? I had driven a Volt before that didn't make this noise, so my assumption was the power was increased on the noisy one, because it was very quick off the line. If that is the case, I could live with the noise, because the noisy Volt hauled A$$. I hope your Volt doesn't become slower after they "fix" it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm having this same issue! I thought it was normal, but I was in a Leaf this weekend and it didn't exhibit the high pitch noise I hear on the Volt. It's especially noticeable during regen/deceleration. Interested on the fix! I'm having issues with my spoiler right now, so we'll see what happens with that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ringing Sound

I have also a ringing sound for the last 2 years since I got the car.
Only a few of us with very good hearing can hear the buzzing sound.

I have 2 more friends with the same car and they can not hear the sound in the car when I do.

I guess is part of the electrical system.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I drove my friend's Volt (first production run version) and it has the noise even louder than mine .. and he can't hear it (but he plays in a rock band LOL)

The service manager couldn't hear it .. but then the mechanic/tech could on test drive. I took the car back home without them addressing it as they said they need to huddle with the Chevy techs (but they DID fix the static using handsfree bluetooth!)

My tone is 11,500Hz. Here is a free iPhone app that you can dial in and match your frequency while actually in the car!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tone-generator/id457003837?mt=8

Also, if you want to do it from your desk .. use this ..

http://plasticity.szynalski.com/tone-generator.htm

If we can get a consensus on the exact frequency, maybe they can use that info to find the culprit.

Ang

·
Registered
2013 Volt
479 Posts
My 2013 Volt developed a high pitched ringing after 1.5 years of ownership. High pitched ringing occurs only when ICE is active and making some electricity. High pitched noise is intensified for a few seconds when ICE had been making electricity but regenerative braking is occurring. High pitched sound decreases as ICE works less and sound vanishes if ICE shuts off or electrical generation is a small amount. After about 20 minutes of continuous ICE mode driving on the freeway/up hills, this noise really can be annoying.

I've recorded the noise using my iPhone and am able to hear the noise appearing and disappearing.

Two friends have offered to let me test drive their car and they will sit in pssenger seat and then they'll drive and i'll sit in passenger seat. I'll record the sessions using iPhone. They have also said they will bring their cars to the dealer so dealer can test other 2013 Volts and compare to mine. GM requested dealer compare my car to another but dealer had no 2013 Volts.

I went on one test drive with dealer but they kinda heard something but could't be 100% sure. My test situation was not ideal for showcasing the noise due to 4:45PM heavy traffic and congested streets. I'll attempt to do a second test drive (to be setup by a Volt Advisor who contacted me) on a Saturday morning (hopefully) on the freeway. Saturday mornings are good because there is no traffic on the freeway and the sound can be heard easily. My friends will also bring their Volts when I do this second test drive so that dealer can have a test drive in other 2013 Volts.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts