1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Wow. That's a big boy:

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
That isn't so "grand". It need external power, so it cannot travel far.

NASA still has two of the other largest electric vehicles (actually two serial hybrids) operating since 1966 in Florida. They are the "Crawler Transporters" that carried all fourteen Saturn V space vehicles (including dummy versions), four Saturn IB vehicles (during the Skylab program), all of the Space Shuttles (multiple times each), and one Ares I-X test vehicle. So for about 40 years (subtracting the idle years), it carried more hardware in weight and monetary value than that Bagger can handle in its working lifetime. And the two Transporters will return to service to carry the future Orion launch vehicle by 2015. I have seen one of them up close. I recommend visiting the Kennedy Space Center and taking the bus tour to see them.

These are the real "gran" vehicles in the electric/hybrid class. They are the largest self powered land vehicles in the world, they will continue to operate in the near future, and they will probably keep their weight records for many years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crawler-transporter

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Looking at that radial digger end reminds me of my ex-fiance at the buffet bar of Ponderosa...
Laughs! It's great that you dodged that bullet; she might have eaten you out of house and home..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts