GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well the Bolt has seen it first ding. Taking my buddy to the airport this AM in traffic, running down freeway, hemmed in on all sides when a hard hat come flying out from underneath a box truck and hits the plastic trim around the "grille" Yep busted it. Sad on a one month old car. :(

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
It'll always happen eventually. Maybe owners of new cars should ceremonially throw a rock at a quarter panel as soon as they take ownership, to get that first scratch out of the way.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Like a sacrificial damage to appease the automotive god. :unsure:
Hmmm... Mercury handles trip aspect (getting there and routing), Janus handles making sure you make the correct turns, traffic jams and parking spaces now. Either of those cover the damage questions or is it someone else? Salus didn't seem to pick that part up from the Greeks' Soteria.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hmmm... Mercury handles trip aspect (getting there and routing), Janus handles making sure you make the correct turns, traffic jams and parking spaces now. Either of those cover the damage questions or is it someone else? Salus didn't seem to pick that part up from the Greeks' Soteria.
I'm thinking more Norse god like Loki.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
561 Posts
What is the compelling reason for getting a Bolt EUV if one is not interested in SC? How is the Bolt EUV that different from the Bolt LT?

·
Registered
39 Posts
On dings: my beautiful red tint coat Bolt got a couple of little dings under the rear door when someone helping me load something heavy forgot to pull down the canvas I keep in the back to protect the car. And that brings up the EUV versus the LT. Sadly, due to the pandemic and my husband's age, I seldom have a passenger at all, and if I do, it's rarely more than one person. I've gotten in the habit of having my back seats down because I am often hauling big boxes. It's unbelievable how much I can carry! On a recent road trip to visit my daughter (about 750 miles round trip) I was hauling a small refrigerator, a wine fridge about the same size as the fridge, and numerous other large boxes filled with stuff she needed to furnish her downstairs rental unit, plus birthday gifts for my other daughter. It was at tight fit but we were comfortable up front, and managed to squeeze in our own clothes and snacks and drinks for the trip!

The other day, we needed to take four very large boxes of signs to the Thousand Oaks Library, about a 130 mile round trip. I did it rather than the available SUV, which would have had a big gas bill. Mine was zero. Since my round trip commute is less than 50 miles, I can charge on regular current at home. With solar, charging barely makes a difference in the electricity use. If you are getting a Bolt for just two people (and maybe the occasional grandchild or elderly parent (which means you can do the split seat trick and still have room for lots of luggage or groceries) and you get a super deal as I did on the Bolt LT 2021 why not? If you can't get that super deal, then the price seems to be about the same as the EUV.

The main thing I miss from my Volt 2016 Premier is the built in navigating system, a much more readable screen that has better contrast and is not partly hidden by the steering wheel and a slightly more solid "feel" while driving. I no longer need the heated seats because the heating and cooling system is so superior in the Bolt.

Car Play works for navigation, but if I forget my phone, I'm out of luck if I need navigation during an errand. I don't like depending that much on something not part of the car itself! During my last trip my phone suddenly failed and there was no way I could find my next charging spot, or my hotel in a strange town in the dark. Fortunately, I pulled in to a gas station and a stranger actually helped me and I got back "on line" again. If your phone cord suddenly decides it's time to fail your whole system can go down. Suggestion: Always have a good spare on hand. But it seems a bit silly to have your navigation system have to depend on something like a $15.00 phone cord!

Does anyone else out there have problems seeing the entire screen while driving? Is it just me, because I'm so short, that has a screen about a quarter hidden by the steering wheel?

·
Registered
481 Posts
On dings: my beautiful red tint coat Bolt got a couple of little dings under the rear door when someone helping me load something heavy forgot to pull down the canvas I keep in the back to protect the car. And that brings up the EUV versus the LT. Sadly, due to the pandemic and my husband's age, I seldom have a passenger at all, and if I do, it's rarely more than one person. I've gotten in the habit of having my back seats down because I am often hauling big boxes. It's unbelievable how much I can carry! On a recent road trip to visit my daughter (about 750 miles round trip) I was hauling a small refrigerator, a wine fridge about the same size as the fridge, and numerous other large boxes filled with stuff she needed to furnish her downstairs rental unit, plus birthday gifts for my other daughter. It was at tight fit but we were comfortable up front, and managed to squeeze in our own clothes and snacks and drinks for the trip!

The other day, we needed to take four very large boxes of signs to the Thousand Oaks Library, about a 130 mile round trip. I did it rather than the available SUV, which would have had a big gas bill. Mine was zero. Since my round trip commute is less than 50 miles, I can charge on regular current at home. With solar, charging barely makes a difference in the electricity use. If you are getting a Bolt for just two people (and maybe the occasional grandchild or elderly parent (which means you can do the split seat trick and still have room for lots of luggage or groceries) and you get a super deal as I did on the Bolt LT 2021 why not? If you can't get that super deal, then the price seems to be about the same as the EUV.

The main thing I miss from my Volt 2016 Premier is the built in navigating system, a much more readable screen that has better contrast and is not partly hidden by the steering wheel and a slightly more solid "feel" while driving. I no longer need the heated seats because the heating and cooling system is so superior in the Bolt.

Car Play works for navigation, but if I forget my phone, I'm out of luck if I need navigation during an errand. I don't like depending that much on something not part of the car itself! During my last trip my phone suddenly failed and there was no way I could find my next charging spot, or my hotel in a strange town in the dark. Fortunately, I pulled in to a gas station and a stranger actually helped me and I got back "on line" again. If your phone cord suddenly decides it's time to fail your whole system can go down. Suggestion: Always have a good spare on hand. But it seems a bit silly to have your navigation system have to depend on something like a $15.00 phone cord!

Does anyone else out there have problems seeing the entire screen while driving? Is it just me, because I'm so short, that has a screen about a quarter hidden by the steering wheel?
Yes, the center screen is partially blocked by the steering wheel in the 2021 and older Bolts unless you're very tall and you can sit much further back. I believe this issue was corrected in the 2022 Bolt EV and EUV. Unfortunately the new screen sits up up high and at such an angle that would invite a lot of glares.

·
Premium Member
2012 Volt Premium (Cyber Gray Metallic) - Stock
187 Posts
What is the compelling reason for getting a Bolt EUV if one is not interested in SC? How is the Bolt EUV that different from the Bolt LT?
Ground clearance. I scrape in both my Volt and Corvette almost equally as much when the driveway is steep enough. There are some places where even going in at an angle won’t work, so the added ground clearance is nice…

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
561 Posts
Ground clearance. I scrape in both my Volt and Corvette almost equally as much when the driveway is steep enough. There are some places where even going in at an angle won’t work, so the added ground clearance is nice…
Does the EUV have greater ground clearance than the Bolt LT? So far a little more rear legroom and some options seem to be the only difference. There has to be more.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Does the EUV have greater ground clearance than the Bolt LT? So far a little more rear legroom and some options seem to be the only difference. There has to be more.
Heh. The one difference I see is that the plain Adaptive Cruise Control is on some in-stock Bolt EUVs within a 150 miles of me, and NONE of the Bolt EVs inventoried have it.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts