GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Damn. You got me to click on faux news. Although I have seen that somewhere else many months ago.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Smart business move by Workhorse. The 80 mile EV + range extender will most likely end up being their better seller, especially in the midwest where charging stations are rare. On the coasts where charging stations are more common the BEV will likely sell better.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
First commercial versions, then ones for the masses.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I'm a little concerned about Workhorse as a company. Stock has taken a beaten. Probably a good buy since it's crazy cheap, but they've been diluting shares to raise capital and getting some bridge loans just to keep the lights on. Hope they make it.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Okay... so there's this:

The hybrid combines a 60 kilowatt-hour battery pack good for 80 miles of electric range with a BMW three-cylinder engine that works as a generator for extended trips.
First, for the PHEV, I think that is a worrisome setup. We already see i3s going into limp mode... how much power can this three-cylinder range extender produce? It better be a minimum of 60 kW, and that's conservative.

Second, 60 kWh for 80-miles of range? So how big is the battery on the 200-mile BEV version? Sure, you lose some weight and add some range by removing the ICE components, but that would be more than offset by the battery weight. So a minimum 120 kWh?

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Okay... so there's this:

First, for the PHEV, I think that is a worrisome setup. We already see i3s going into limp mode... how much power can this three-cylinder range extender produce? It better be a minimum of 60 kW, and that's conservative.

Second, 60 kWh for 80-miles of range? So how big is the battery on the 200-mile BEV version? Sure, you lose some weight and add some range by removing the ICE components, but that would be more than offset by the battery weight. So a minimum 120 kWh?
That certainly is a concern. I'd think it would need to be a turbo engine to get enough power out of it.
I'm guessing they'll put a tow mode button that will start the engine immediately. Kind of like a more aggressive mountain mode.

60kWh seems awfully large for 80 miles. Obviously trucks are nowhere near as aerodynamic, but I'd still think that's off.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
That 60KWh battery for 80 miles tells me the 200 mile BEV has a150KWh battery, which isn't out of line with the Tesla Model X for battery size. I'm also concerned about that little 3-banger as a range extender.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay... so there's this:

I had the same concern. I'm interested in the W-15 but some early reports and even the Workhorse web page shows the W-15 with the BMW W-20 range extender. That's the same one used in the i3 and it's 20 KW output is not even enough to maintain SOC in the little i3, let alone a full sized pickup. Workhorse used the W-20 range extender in their big UPS delivery trucks but these vehicles are designed for last mile delivery, which means slow speeds and a lot of time stopped which gives the tiny W-20 time to catch up. Workhorse says the W-15 truck is designed to be driven long distances at max load. So it is being equipped with a more powerful range extender powered by a BMW 3 cylinder turbo ICE. The only EPA certified turbo 3's that I know is 135 HP used in the mini and the 225 HP used in the i8 sports car. My guess is the range extender used In the W-15 will have an output around 100 kw, or about double the output of the Volt and five times greater than the i3.

In regards to the all electric battery size, my guess is they remove the range extender and add another battery of the same size. I found that Workhorse likes to keep things simple even if it results in overkill. For example, the W-15 is derived from the postal van they are proposing to the USPS. I believe their basic model will have a single 230 HP drive axle, but the USPS also wanted some models to be equipped with 4WD. Instead of designing a special 4WD system using the single 230 HP motor they just added a second drive axle bringing the total output to a whopping 460 hp, about 4 times more power than the existing mail vans. I doubt Workhorse makes their battery, they just buy one from a supplier (panasonic), the simplest thing for them to do is just use two of the same batteries which results in 120 KWH of storage. Since the price for both versions of the truck is the same, I guess a Panasonic 60 KWH battery costs about the same as a BMW 1.5 liter turbo 3 cylinder powered 100 kw range extender.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts