GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received this email from Workhorse today saying they are accepting reservations for their extended range pickup which was previously offered only to commercial users.

"
Happy 2018! On behalf of everyone here at Workhorse, thank you for your continued support of our W-15 electric pick-up truck. Over the past months we have received thousands of emails offering support, ideas, and inputs. Thanks to you and the tireless efforts of the Workhorse R&D team I am thrilled to announce that we have opened W-15 reservations for everyone! We believe that the W-15 will be the safest, highest performance, lowest total cost of ownership pick-up truck.

By clicking the link you will be redirected to the webpage where you can place your reservation. The cost to pre-order a Workhorse W-15 is $1000 per truck, which is fully refundable. The purchase price of the vehicle is estimated at $52,500 and we expect the W-15 to be eligible under current legislation for a $7,500 tax credit for US citizens. The specifications and additional information on the vehicle including total cost of ownership, safety, and performance features can be found here.

Workhorse currently has over 5,300 W-15 trucks on pre-order from fleet operators. These pre-orders will start to deliver in late 2018. We will keep you informed as delivery dates approach in 2019. Order now and reserve your place in line!

Best Regards,

Tony Bort
W-15 Consumer Advocate
Workhorse Group
[email protected]
(513) 582-1773

Reserve Your W-15"

I've been holding out for a plug-in Silverado as I really need to replace my 15 year old Silverado, but if GM doesn't announce something soon I think this Workhorse may be a real contender. Here's a link describing this truck, the specs are really impressive. http://workhorse.com/pickup/

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I made a reservation despite some serious concerns.

Lack of dealer network, have to use Ryder service centers.

Not sure about range extender. The initial model had the tiny 3-cylinder range extender from the BMW I3 REX. I don't think this is big enough to move a 7,000 pounds truck. Workhorse has stated that another range extender may be used. Its a non starter for me if the I3 REX is used.

The estimated price seems kind of low. If they pull a Tesla Model 3 bait and switch I'm out.

Not sure how viable Workhorse really is. They could fail and I may not be able to get my reservation money back.

·
Administrator
20,231 Posts
Deliveries start late 2018 with 5300 orders in hand. The production rate is unknown. But at least you should know the drivetrain and price details later this year.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Workhorse Teases Production W-15 Electric Pickup Truck

Workhorse Group Inc. released images of the production version of its W-15 work truck, showing a finished design only slightly different from the prototype vehicle Trucks.com drove in 2017.

Workhorse will begin production of the truck for early testing in the late summer or fall, said John LaFleur, business development manager for Workhorse. Large fleet customers may take delivery in late 2018 and full production will begin in 2019.

The company is finalizing its supply chain network and will conduct final assembly of the trucks at its plant in Union City, Ind.

Differences between the concept and the production W-15 are subtle. Compared with the prototype, the finished version will have a lightly modified chassis and small design changes.

Some lines around the headlights and taillights have been smoothed out. The rear windows are flat along the bottom instead of angling sharply up at the corners.

Front and rear bumpers will be a different material than the rest of the body. The small front grille has a cleaner integration into the bumper design. The flared wheel arches on the concept have been toned down for production.

“It was over-exaggerated on the concept to give it a strong look,” LaFleur said. “We wanted to streamline it a little more.........(more at trucks.com)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts