GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A L2 charge station with two plugs has been installed at work. Currently free, the Volt was fully charged in two hours and made it home with no gas. This is a 60 mile round trip commute, so until now the Volt used some gas every day. Today was pure electric there and back and awesome.

If the stations stay free (or cheaper than gas), I'll be in heaven. If not, well, I have a Volt and it has no range limit. We rarely use gas other than the daily office commute, so over time this could have a dramatic effect on our % Electric miles.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Woo-WHoo! is right! Free L2 seems too good to last, but take advantage of it while you can. My avg MPG went from 110 to 450 when I started charging at work since I no longer had to burn a quart of gas per day. My time between fill ups went from weeks to months as well.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
A L2 charge station with two plugs has been installed at work. Currently free, the Volt was fully charged in two hours and made it home with no gas.
What kind of L2 charger was installed? We had 2 Blinks installed at my office, which were free for about 8 months. If it is one that doesn't need a RFID card to start the charge, then it may be free forever. If a RFID card is required, it could mean that the L2 owner can decide to make it a pay for charge sometime in the future.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Good for you. Charging at work is awesome, especially if the commute is over 40 miles RT and in winter or even hot summer days.

My commute is ~70 miles RT and and I have been charging L1 from an exterior 120v outlet every day for over a year now. I now move my Volt to the main lot around 2 pm when its fully charged so it won't be so lonely in the back ;).

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a ChargePoint unit. Waived our free ChargePoint "Earth Day" card and plugged in. It's not on any maps yet, and no official announcement has been made about it, but it's operational. Still, this seems to good to be true and I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. I only need a few hours at the end of the day. It would be nice if it remains free, but we will see.

I've often thought that charge stations in work parking lots (even 120V) make a lot of sense since cars are parked there 8-10 hours, 5 days a week.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Congrats and that's awesome of your employeer, but I would suggest being a nice EV'er and move your car out of the spot once it's fully charged. You need to minimize your "foot print" so as not to cause other's to take notice of you and your "free charging". ICE guys could stir the pot if they feel someone is getting over on them, plus it free's the spot for other EV's.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The ChargePoint units in InterPark garages are still free. Used one last night (went to he Cubs game - THAT was disappointing). The TLW & I had free tix, paid $14 for parking, rode the Red line to the game - $24.00 total, used 0.07 gal/gas.

Bad news (besides the Cubs): ended my gas less streak at just over 2000 miles. Guess I'll start a new one today.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
@Steverino:

Great news. Did the L2 chargers just show up one day or did you lobby for them?

It's easy the emphasize the extended range side of the Volt when you have no chance of going all EV. Now that you have a gas-free commute, you'll find yourself memorizing the local charger locations, planning all-electric routes, lobbying for more public chargers and better anti-ICEing signage, and reporting broken EVSEs even when you aren't using them.

Both of my work charging sites are a couple of blocks away from my classroom. That's fine - exercise is healthy.

Welcome to the 250+ mile club!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
It's a ChargePoint unit. Waived our free ChargePoint "Earth Day" card and plugged in. It's not on any maps yet, and no official announcement has been made about it, but it's operational. Still, this seems to good to be true and I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. I only need a few hours at the end of the day. It would be nice if it remains free, but we will see.
Be glad its not a Blink. The ChargePoint units in Northern Virginia all bill on the actual time charging, no rounding up to the next full hour. The bad news is the amount per hour varies widely; I have seen units at $.75 per hour (40 minute minimum), $2 per hour (hour minimum) and $.49 per kWh. I only use the $.75 per hour units.

However, if the ChargePoint is a pay for charge, the free Earth Day card will not work. You can sign up on their website for a pay RFID card and putting $25 on account. The last time I checked, ChargePoint was issuing a $.25 "loyalty credit) for each charging instance.

The ChargePoint android app is also pretty good. If your charge is complete and you are away from your Volt, you can use the app to stop the charging session, which stops the billing even though you remain plugged in.

Hopefully they will remain free units. Good luck.

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Steverino:
Great news. Did the L2 chargers just show up one day or did you lobby for them?
Mostly, it just showed up. 6 months ago when I heard there was a team looking into charging, I sent them some info on a program being run by some agency to cover the cost of installation. They did not solicit user input, never a great sign. That's why I expect a price tag will go on the units at some point and that's when they will likely stop being used. Until then, I'll opportunity charge.

It's easy the emphasize the extended range side of the Volt when you have no chance of going all EV. Now that you have a gas-free commute, you'll find yourself memorizing the local charger locations, planning all-electric routes, lobbying for more public chargers and better anti-ICEing signage, and reporting broken EVSEs even when you aren't using them.

Both of my work charging sites are a couple of blocks away from my classroom. That's fine - exercise is healthy.

Welcome to the 250+ mile club!
For my Chicago area weekend driving, I have never needed charging outside the home. It's the long daily commute that forces a bit of gas use. Going gas-free is awesome while it lasts. :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have to agree with the free charging at work. I bought the car fully expecting to use a little gas every day to commute. I was very happy when the parking attendant told me I could just park next to the outlet and plug in. I hope that the building managers don't come and put a stop to it, but it they do, that's okay I guess. I will try and offer to pay them for the power used, but if not, that's what the gas engine is for!

Hope it lasts a really long time for you.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Congrats! My work did the same thing about 6 months ago. At the time, there were only 2 Volts and no others using the charge stations. Now, there are at least 4 Volts, and a Tesla. Still only 2 charge cords. So, we will have to get together and figure out a sharing scheme. My wife and I trade off who gets to drive the Volt, so I drive it to work only a couple times a month.

Think about how nice that will be in the winter, remote start on 240, sweet!

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With the big storm yesterday, the Volt used up a lot of juice driving through the rain, wipers on. I would normally have used a lot more gas, but the Volt made it back on battery (barely). I'm going to miss that free charge if/when the day comes.

Even so, my stats for last month jumped to 87% EV driving (was 78%). With this new charge opportunity, I'm excited to see if I can hit 100%. That would be a first for me.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Even so, my stats for last month jumped to 87% EV driving (was 78%). With this new charge opportunity, I'm excited to see if I can hit 100%. That would be a first for me.
You will, probably today or tomorrow. The weather is perfect for it. Be sure to report it when it does happen.

Presuming you begin the day fully charged AND you drive in the same weather that I do (close enough), you should be able to do just a tad better than me. I have a 70-75mi (net) daily commute, and as of about mid April I stopped using gas as a daily ritual. Of my last 2200 miles, 2 have been gas powered - the 2 extra I needed on Tuesday evening to get home after driving round trip to the Loop and back (after fully charging for free). That was a ~90mi trip.

The best thing about it is to watch your average MPG climb - its like free money. At the start of April, my average was 160. Today it's 181 (or 182 - not sure). That's with 32K miles on the car. By early September, at my current rate, I should just top 200 and perhaps be as high as 220 by the time winter comes knocking again; last year, my best was 188 (at that same time).

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: 100% electric, yes, I hit that day one with the opportunity charge as well as yesterday. What I'd like to see a 100% EV for my monthly report, up from last month's 87%.

·
Registered
167 Posts
A L2 charge station with two plugs has been installed at work. Currently free, the Volt was fully charged in two hours and made it home with no gas. This is a 60 mile round trip commute, so until now the Volt used some gas every day. Today was pure electric there and back and awesome.

If the stations stay free (or cheaper than gas), I'll be in heaven. If not, well, I have a Volt and it has no range limit. We rarely use gas other than the daily office commute, so over time this could have a dramatic effect on our % Electric miles.
SFJ. So Freaking Jealous.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Re: 100% electric, yes, I hit that day one with the opportunity charge as well as yesterday. What I'd like to see a 100% EV for my monthly report, up from last month's 87%.
My bad; next time I'll do a better job reading.

I was able to do ONE last year, but I'm sure it wasn't an actual calendar month (i.e., all of August) just 30 consecutive days.

I've already blown it for June (those 2 miles Tuesday night cost me - I'm at 99.7 right now). Maybe July will be the one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts