GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this happen twice. I'm driving down the highway, the electric range is ending, it goes to twitch to the engine and I get reduced power warning. The engine doesn't come on and I end up having to pull over. I turn the car off then back on and the engine fires up and I can drive normally. The check engine light remains on. I took it to the dealer last week and they could find no problem. They "cleaned the sensor" or whatever, but now this week it happened again. Both times it happened when my gas range was under 50 miles so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.
I searched and couldn't find other having this problem. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Did it attempt to start, and then fail? (you could hear some revs/feel vibration) or just go straight to ENA/PPR?

·
Registered
373 Posts
. Both times it happened when my gas range was under 50 miles so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.
I searched and couldn't find other having this problem.

You may have answered you own question. Don't let it get so low on fuel.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Go put another gallon or two in it, ya cheap yutz. :D

The manual suggests leaving about three gallons in the tank, not one. People forget to put gas into cars that they very rarely put gas into, and this behavior is making sure that you're VERY AWARE that you don't have very much fuel left, and can never say that you were left stranded without warning.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I sounds like the car is trying very hard to keep you from running out and getting stuck on the side of the road and you're not paying attention.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
No...i would consider this a safety issue and volt advisors has to act immediately

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
What should they do? Recommend revoking the driver's license? The car is doing everything possible to keep the driver from getting stuck on the side of the road.

·
Administrator
19,984 Posts
There are related links at the bottom of the page. Looks like it could be be related to a faulty ground, a faulty module, a transmission issue, or?

What error codes did OnStar give you when this happened?

·
Registered
197 Posts
It has nothing to do with having less than 50 miles of gas range, that is for sure. Does it let you switch to Hold mode?

·
Registered
53 Posts
If this issue only happens when fuel level is low, then the car might think that the tank is too low to start the engine in this scenario. This isn't by design clearly, but might indicate a sensor problem -- either the gas gauge sensor or the one that detects when fuel is about to run out and stops engine operation before the tank actually runs dry. Unlike most cars, the Volt actually never runs completely out of gas - the car detects super-low levels of gas and stops the ICE before gas runs dry. Tested this several times ;-).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To be clear, the Volt gives a low fuel warning when the gas range gets below 40 miles of range. This is not that.
I began having issues with the fuel system when I had the evap canister replaced (recall) back in March. After that something went wrong with the wiring for the fuel control system. Now this.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And I start my car this morning and the check engine light is now off. So I'm just going to drive it and fill the gas tank when it drops below 100 mile range...

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Here's what I would suggest:
Charge up with just enough charge to reach the dealer. Then drive around until it goes to RPP mode, then pull right up to the service bay and DO NOT turn the car off. This will give them the exact scenario of what happened.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Follow up to increase the knowledge base... the only thing the dealer could find wrong was an air leak in the camshaft cover... so they replaced that ($300) and that solved the problem. Apparently the air leak was throwing off the sensors so the car thought there wasn't any fuel... something like that. Anyway, problem solved and the maybe my imagination but the engine seems to be running quieter now...

·
Administrator
19,984 Posts
Follow up to increase the knowledge base... the only thing the dealer could find wrong was an air leak in the camshaft cover... so they replaced that ($300) and that solved the problem. Apparently the air leak was throwing off the sensors so the car thought there wasn't any fuel... something like that. Anyway, problem solved and the maybe my imagination but the engine seems to be running quieter now...
Thanks for the update and details, gdarb!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts