GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought a Veepeak OBDII reader back in the summer. Recently the car was doing weird things, the engine would come on randomly even with a full battery and the radio would freeze and reboot for no reason.

I first thought my 12 volt battery was toast so I bought and installed a new one but the issues continued. Pulled the reader from car and all issues went away. Tried to connect to the car with the BlueTooth device and it would not connect at all to the car.

I had purchased the reader from Amazon. I went to Veepeak.com and registered the unit. I then put in a warranty claim as they state that there is a 12 month warranty, 18 months if you register it and they state that they will get back to you within 24 hours if you have an issue.

John from Veepeak got back to me in a few hours and asked me to try a few things which I did. When it still didn't work he promptly sent me a new unit, once again shipped by Amazon, I had it in a few days.

This one works fine and I was impressed by the level of support that I received.

Curious to see what was inside the old one, I felt the need to open it up.

C77888B0-1BEF-472B-99C0-392334C98925_1_201_a.jpg

F495C5D0-E764-4ED1-9F23-DB4646420B51_1_201_a.jpg

3B49CBBE-384A-491C-8596-2200ED28959D_1_201_a.jpg

·
Registered
233 Posts
Bought a Veepeak OBDII reader back in the summer. Recently the car was doing weird things, the engine would come on randomly even with a full battery and the radio would freeze and reboot for no reason.

I first thought my 12 volt battery was toast so I bought and installed a new one but the issues continued. Pulled the reader from car and all issues went away. Tried to connect to the car with the BlueTooth device and it would not connect at all to the car.

[remainder deleted]
I've found out the hard way that leaving the dongle plugged in will discharge the 12V. If the discharge is deep enough / frequent enough, the 12V battery will be damaged and require replacing. Along the way, apparently unrelated DTC's will be generated all over the car.

The reason: The 12V power at the OBD-II socket is never switched off. The dongle is drawing power all the time. This can completely discharge the 12V battery given time. It takes less time than you might think.

You've likely had to replace the 12V battery, again, by now. Its also not a regular Flooded Lead Acid (FLA) battery - installing the FLA in place of the AGM (Acid Glass Matt) battery will work, but it wont last long.

The lesson: Don't leave the dongle in the socket when not driving.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts