GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
No mention of efficiency in that article but I have read some very impressive numbers for efficiency from WiTricity/Qualcomm EV charging. I hope it is for real.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They could make this as nearly efficient as a plug-in if they can make the charging plate retractable so that it latches itself to the underneath of the car. It would then automatically unlatch and retract once you power on the car or when fully recharged.

It seems like the current motto is save your upgrade money and save the environment. Incurring another set of tremendous efficiency losses is bad for the electric grid especially when the plug-in vehicles go main stream. We took great pains and upgrades to smart meters in order to reduce losses of 5% from the grid, and with the introduction of wireless, adding losses of 10% or more is unacceptable.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Wow, in the comment section, someone quoted that Witricity's charging efficiencies are between 91% to 94%. This would be cool for me. Typical efficiencies that I've seen for wireless charging are between 80% to 85%.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts