GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A recent trip through the hills in Colorado had me wondering about the mutual exclusivity of the various drive modes in my 2013 Volt.

Is there a technical reason that Sport and Hold cannot be enabled together?

I figure it won't ever happen for current models, but maybe a future model could have Sport / Normal on one button and Hold / Mountain / CS on another so we could enjoy the goodness of Sport mode while still saving a bit of charge for later.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The new Toyota Prime allows all three of its power modes (eco,norm,pwr) in each drive modes (ev,auto,hybrid). So yes, it can be done.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
FYI, sport mode is always available. Just push the accelerator pedal farther.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
It's easy to accomplish with HP Tuner software.
are there any screen shots from hp tuners that show what can be modified in the volt?

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I agree completely. Hold, Mountain, and Touring relate to the battery. Sport is an distinctively different concept that relates to the accelerator and simply doesn't belong with the others.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
are there any screen shots from hp tuners that show what can be modified in the volt?
What do you want to change? Anything on the engine side can be modded like a regular vehicle.

You can make the pedal as sporty as you like in all 3 modes. <-- this is usually the first thing HPT owners change.
You can remove the limitations while in "reduced power mode".
You can make it run on regular gas, E85 or anything in between.
You can improve torque and remove the speed limit.

Although the EV side of the Volt is quite polished, the stock tune of the first gen Volt is quite poor. Knock learn is disabled and there's a LOT of knock everywhere. The Cruze tune is much more polished.

·
Registered
766 Posts
+1 on wanting Hold + Sport independently selectable. For that matter I would like Sport mode to be sticky. I just find it much easier to drive smoothly in Sport mode due to the nice linear pedal position to power relationship.

·
Registered
464 Posts
It would also be nice to be able to choose a default mode that is on each time you start up. I recognize a few pushes of the mode button each time you start the car isn't a big deal, still should be able to set a default start mode in the menu settings.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I agree. I was surprised they didn't separate Sport (accelerator) mapping from Hold and Mountain modes. It is especially missed when driving curvy roads in the mountains. GM claimed to listen to Gen1 owners. Obviously not enough of us thought to mention this improvement and it did not show up in Gen2.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I have a mode similar to Sport (not quite as aggressive) by default for normal and mt. mode. Makes the vehicle a lot more fun to drive.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I notice a definite surge of power when I am in either hold or sport mode while driving my 2015 volt premium then shift into normalev mode
after a few seconds after the switch, my volt literally "leaps" foreward and wants to GO!!!
it would be nice to separate the modes,as around town I like to be in sport mode most of the time
if I feel like I want to think about trading my car in for another one, I just put my volt into sport mode,and mash the accelerator,and all thought's about getting rid of my volt is gone!!!!
i'm never going to get rid of my volt!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts