GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Consistently, as I drive my Gen2, day in and day out, I find myself wishing I could:

1. Use center display as a rear view camera on demand, anytime. And if it were selectable from a steering wheel that would be the best.

2. Switch the center screen to Energy Info using a steering wheel control. Lifting my right arm to do this is so much work!

3. Turn off center display with one touch or gesture on the screen.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Consistently, as I drive day in and day out, I find myself wishing I could:

1. Use the center display as a rear view camera on demand, anytime. And if it were selectable from a steering wheel control that would be the best.

2. Switch the center screen to Energy Info using a steering wheel control. Lifting my right arm to do this is so much work!

3. Turn off center display with one touch or gesture on the screen.

1) Not sure if GM wants the liability of people focusing on the rear cam while driving. I'm sure you could mod this feature though with enough time & calories burned...

2)

3) On my Gen1, I just have to press the Push to Talk button 2x (bypass voice prompt) and speak "Display OFF" in order to blank the center touchscreen display (note this doesn't actually shut OFF the display since the backlight is still active). Does this "Display OFF" command not carry over to the Gen2!?:confused:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3) On my Gen1, I just have to press the Push to Talk button 2x and speak "Display OFF" in order to blank the center touchscreen display. Does this "Display OFF" command not carry over to the Gen2!?:confused:
No it does not seem to. On the gen2 you have to tap "settings" on center display, then swipe to "Radio" then tap "Display Off". WAY too much work. Since I typically want to do this at night, I usually turn down (to the lowest level) the brightness of all displays using the knob to the left of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
1) Not sure if GM wants the liability of people focusing on the rear cam while driving.
You are probably correct. To this point to GM I would say, "Hey then you might wanna get rid of those distracting rear view mirrors which I keep staring at as I drive!".

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Perhaps future Volts will offer the camera-based rear view mirror like the Bolt EV.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
Sadly, I doubt you will see any software update to add these features you've requested. I would love to have a coast button that mimics neutral until you either press the accelerator or the brake pedals - it would do far more to extend range than the gen 2 Regen paddles.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Perhaps future Volts will offer the camera-based rear view mirror like the Bolt EV.
I think in a year or two this will be quite common in other cars. It's too good an idea not to catch on.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Honda Accord hybrid has a wide angle camera in the right outside mirror. It is activated and shown on center screen by a button on the steering wheel. Great safety feature.

·
Banned
398 Posts
How about changing that prominent round, chrome button in the very center of the infotainment universe from the useless mute/power off to a play/pause?

and FTFBTAP

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
The Honda Accord hybrid has a wide angle camera in the right outside mirror. It is activated and shown on center screen by a button on the steering wheel. Great safety feature.
Correct, it's part of Honda sense package available on many model other than the Accord hybrid, they have rear facing camera mounted under the side view mirrors...When you turn your blinker on the screen will automatically show the camera view...Not the exact same but I really don't think it's a liability thing...I honestly do not think there are a lot of people who want to see the rear camera view while driving...

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I honestly do not think there are a lot of people who want to see the rear camera view while driving...
I totally do... I mean I want to be able to take a quick glance under certain circumstances...
Sometimes at night there's a brief moment when I can't tell is someone is tailgating me (I have a gen2 with no rear window strip... So sometimes an entire car can be obscured)
Another reason is I would like to look back to see if a close car has a turn signal on... And which one.
Basically it's just like having what the new Bolt will have... Essentially an unobstructed rear view video mirror... And I'd like it "on demand" via a conveniently located steering wheel button.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree. The view out of the rear window is pretty dismal on the 2016/2017. My 2011 Volt had much better rear visibility. The rear headrests compound the problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
How about changing that prominent round, chrome button in the very center of the infotainment universe from the useless mute/power off to a play/pause?

and FTFBTAP
I would like a steering wheel button for play/pause, perhaps the check button that does menu selection, when you press it in audio mode, it does nothing, may as well do play/pause toggle.

• regen paddle should regen brake proportionally based on pressure, and be able to bring the car to a full stop.
  • make regen paddle larger and more substantial feeling, maybe metal.
  • remove the audio control skip forward/reverse paddles on the left side of the steering wheel. You can control audio via the right control arrows anyway. Thematically the left side of the steering wheel is driving controls (cruise control, regen paddle) while the right side is infotainment controls.
  • As someone already mentioned a coast mode, with zero regen. Its not efficient to regen brake when you don't need to.
  • a mode toggle switch thats better located to enable hold mode, like maybe on the shifter itself. 99% of the time when I change modes, its to/from hold/normal.
  • better sideview mirrors or otherwise improve visibility. Due to my driving position I have a blindspot to the rear left and somewhat to the rear right of the vehicle. Adjusting the mirrors inward helps but then I risk missing cars basically next to me as I cant always see them around the large B-pillars. I am intrigued by the sideview camera idea.
Just some minor usability improvements, overall the car works well for me and some of these are really nitpicks.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I just wish there was an auto-CLOSE button for the vehicle charging port. I can't tell you how many times I've unplugged in a hurry in super cold snowy or rainy weather, gotten in the car and seen "charging door open" on the dash and had to get out again to close that damned door. Grrrrrrr.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I would like a steering wheel button for play/pause, perhaps the check button that does menu selection, when you press it in audio mode, it does nothing, may as well do play/pause toggle.

• regen paddle should regen brake proportionally based on pressure, and be able to bring the car to a full stop.
  • make regen paddle larger and more substantial feeling, maybe metal.
  • remove the audio control skip forward/reverse paddles on the left side of the steering wheel. You can control audio via the right control arrows anyway. Thematically the left side of the steering wheel is driving controls (cruise control, regen paddle) while the right side is infotainment controls.
  • As someone already mentioned a coast mode, with zero regen. Its not efficient to regen brake when you don't need to.
  • a mode toggle switch thats better located to enable hold mode, like maybe on the shifter itself. 99% of the time when I change modes, its to/from hold/normal.
  • better sideview mirrors or otherwise improve visibility. Due to my driving position I have a blindspot to the rear left and somewhat to the rear right of the vehicle. Adjusting the mirrors inward helps but then I risk missing cars basically next to me as I cant always see them around the large B-pillars. I am intrigued by the sideview camera idea.
Just some minor usability improvements, overall the car works well for me and some of these are really nitpicks.
All really good ideas expect for the movement of the left side skip buttons on the steering wheel...If you're hand is on the regen paddle anyways your hand is right there...But yes, regen to a full stop would mean you don't even have to take you foot off the gas and even more so if you add variable regen...Also coasting would be an easy software update...

·
Registered
48 Posts
All really good ideas expect for the movement of the left side skip buttons on the steering wheel...If you're hand is on the regen paddle anyways your hand is right there...But yes, regen to a full stop would mean you don't even have to take you foot off the gas and even more so if you add variable regen...Also coasting would be an easy software update...
Yeah, I have gotten used to it, but when I first got the car occasionally when I tried to regenbrake I ended up skipping tracks accidentally. Especially while steering its hard to hit the regen paddle reliably. I like the regen paddles but from a safety standpoint not sure how great of an idea they are.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts