GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hopefully GM pays close attention to the wiring and Cable Harness and routing. Especially the cabling from the Battery to whatever supply control system and then finally to the Electric motor. All it takes is one single wire (even if it is 4 or 5Awg sized) being intermittent or open to take the entire system down. Maybe they will have some reduntant cabling systems - or not if it adds weight.
If you have an open or even - dare I say it - a short - that could spell very bad news and recalls. The circuit breakers or fuses would take care of a short though I would hope fast enough.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Hopefully GM pays close attention to the wiring and Cable Harness and routing. Especially the cabling from the Battery to whatever supply control system and then finally to the Electric motor. All it takes is one single wire (even if it is 4 or 5Awg sized) being intermittent or open to take the entire system down. Maybe they will have some reduntant cabling systems - or not if it adds weight.
If you have an open or even - dare I say it - a short - that could spell very bad news and recalls. The circuit breakers or fuses would take care of a short though I would hope fast enough.
There's no redundant cabling on the Volt.They would be an unnecessary weight and expense. The main HV cable is double insulated and shielded cable routed in such a manner that it will not be exposed to significant stress or strain that could result in damage.

Modules that are managing the power through the cables are constantly monitoring for any loss of isolation that could eventually become a serious cable fault (i.e. an open or short) So there would be what might be called "pre-emptive" DTCs set in the event there was ANY insulation break-down, long before it became a safety issue. This is how most hybrids monitor for HV cable issues as well.
It's a non-issue on the 300V hybrids so I dont see why it should be a concern on he Volt.

WopOnTour

1 - 2 of 2 Posts