GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

Does anyone have a wireless charging station in their garage. How well does it work and how much does it cost

Big moe

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Love the idea and I would do it but for I have two cars and two 240v chargers which are working fine. Just waiting for one to die.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I think the current plugless system is only about 80% efficient, so you will end up consuming a lot more electricity. So you will have to figure that into the cost as well. For Gen 1 if it takes 13 KWh to charge frome cable it might take 16 KWh from a plugless system. In 40k miles this might add $315 assuming 10.5 cents/kwh and 40 miles per charge.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I think the current plugless system is only about 80% efficient, so you will end up consuming a lot more electricity. So you will have to figure that into the cost as well. For Gen 1 if it takes 13 KWh to charge frome cable it might take 16 KWh from a plugless system. In 40k miles this might add $315 assuming 10.5 cents/kwh and 40 miles per charge.
True, but that would be 1000 times I don't have to plug-in and 1000 times I don't have to unplug.

(and a couple dozen times I don't have to get back out because I forgot to close the charge door.)

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
From the little bit I read up on it is that it feeds into the charger with DC.
So it's like charging at 80% efficiency vs 90% 240VAC. Not that big a deal.
There is no double AC/DC conversion loss, just the single AC/DC conversion and loss for wireless transfer.
So instead of 13, you might see 14.3kWh.

Just add 10% to your charging costs.
It's about the same as charging [email protected] in terms of efficiency, IIRC

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hi Big Moe,
I've had my Plugless System for 2 years now and i would not go back to the plug, in the same convinced way that i wont go back to an ICE car, ever!
Normal everyday wireless charging will cost you about ... around a dime, and that's if you completely drained your battery. About $40 a year for your virtual plug valet. Just park your car. :)
Efficiency is 86% to 89% according to Idaho National Laboratory
Simple version : https://avt.inl.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/evse/EvatranWirelessChargingFactsheetAug2013.pdf
Complete version: https://avt.inl.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/evse/WirelessChargingTestingOfPluglessPowerEvatran_2014.pdf

Check out my system layout: https://avt.inl.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/evse/WirelessChargingTestingOfPluglessPowerEvatran_2014.pdf

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
If my daughter hadn't lost her job, I'd have one by now. More for the gadget reason than anything about wired.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts